Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm debating with myself whether I should find a pixel artist and have facesets made for three characters in 'Aryen - a tale of a hero' or not.

For anyone who chose not to have facesets in their games, what made you pick that choice?

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
seeing your game 'retro' style... i think faceset is not mandatory...
just make sure the player know who's talking...

facesets usually used to let the player easier to know who's currently speaking.
and if you do want to use faceset... you must make it retro style...
maybe something like NES era style
something like this maybe
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/images/d/dd/Bionic_Commando_-_NES_-_Boss_Dialog.png

hope this help.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! I will use names and if no name is mentioned then I will use something else like citizen or fisherman.

I can't see the picture, unfortunately. However, if I will use facesets then it will be in retro style.

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kristina : What you could try is to use the faces (and part of body perhaps) of the SV battler sprites. They already have a 'pixel look' and if you resize them a bit even more. Maybe it will match up with your game style in a way... (example picture from my own try).

Attachments

• FaS001_Facesheet-Red.png
    FaS001_Facesheet-Red.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Take one step back, especially since this is a general discussion and not entirely project-specific.

Faces are there to help the player identify with the actors, and see them for themselves.
And it depends on the type of game to decide if such an identification is needed or not.

You need to identify actors if each actor has its own story and sidequest etc. If the actors are not as important as the entire party, then you can simply skip faces for them.

another option would be if the face was simply a background where actor info (like states) is displayed - if you menu uses listings of values (as many old games did), then there is no need to fill some space with a face.

if on the other hand the game story invovles lots of discussions between actors, then it would help a lot to have faces during the discussions, simply to prevent walls of text.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, your answer really makes me think.

While names surely helps identify the actors, faces does help a lot...especially if the game involves a lot of dialogue.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
what made you pick that choice?
I use faces, complete with facial expressions. But hypothetically if I don't. It probably because of these scenarios
- I can't draw to save my life (either lack of skill, no time, or no money for asking commission)
- It's a non-important NPC
- I want to evoke a certain storytelling emotion (disclaimer: I'm not a great storyteller).

The third point is interesting. Because an absence of something might trigger your imagination. A comic with no text becomes a silent comic. Novels are different than manga due to the absence of visuals. A silent protagonist style of storytelling also has a unique feeling.

The more "helper" element that you put to tell your story, the more "guided" it becomes. For example, voiced lines help the reader know what kind of emotion the creator wants to tell. If executed well, it executed well. But if not, it will fail spectacularly. While having an absence of voice, the reader has to rely on their imagination on what kind of voice they would produce.

Now, change the "voice" to "faces", that basically the same.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like your thoughts on this, thank you. Never thought of it that way but it totally make sense.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well i think face imgs help to give more personality to a charackter..

because you had no battler ect..
i used schlangans generator to make these 2 examples for free.
(for the 2 main chars ,i had no other refferences)
-> for the male i made different colored chars to get a better hair color that matches..
(but i forgot to add eyebrows on the male default Face_IMGs)

Link to zip File with all used assets, incase they are needed..
(battler/walk/face sprites ect)

All this is NOT handmade pixel sprite art, only Generator_usage and resizing.. so i guess you can do that for all your chars/npcs if you want..
(in a few cases i edited it a bit, to put a smile on the male battler face, and to change the female battler hair a bit..)

i preffer the Battler faces like @Dutchmountain mentioned ..

Attachments

• face editor img.png
    face editor img.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree, it helps giving more personality.

I don't mind paying for it, I just need to find an artist that can make it for me. I won't use faces for NPCs, only three characters where two are playable and the third is not but still quite important and in the game a lot.

The graphics in the generator just don't match my game, so I will have to find a pixel artist.

Yours look really great!

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree, it helps giving more personality.

I don't mind paying for it, I just need to find an artist that can make it for me. I won't use faces for NPCs, only three characters where two are playable and the third is not but still quite important and in the game a lot.

The graphics in the generator just don't match my game, so I will have to find a pixel artist.

Yours look really great!
what kind of face style are you looking for? do you have any refferences?

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, not at the moment. I’m looking but haven’t fond any.

But a retro kind of style.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the main reason for the faces is to make the character speaking more recognizable, you can always just have the sprite as the face.
Either the whole sprite, or the head/torso zoomed in. You can rezise by 200% or 400% without blurring or distorting. (Just turn off interpolation, or whatever it's called in non-GIMP programs)

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro I did think of that, but I think I'm gonna find a pixel artist to make facesets.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have a random update.
Here's what people think game dev life is like: Oh I'll just add this feature and that feature.

A game devs' reality: add one feature and watch the rest break like domino's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slavdy