RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So this is something I've been ruminating about.

So Earthbound has this system where if you touch an overworld enemy from the back, you enter battle with an advantage. How do I replicate this in RPG Maker? Is there a way for a conditional branch to check "facing away from player"?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this is something I've been ruminating about.

So Earthbound has this system where if you touch an overworld enemy from the back, you enter battle with an advantage. How do I replicate this in RPG Maker? Is there a way for a conditional branch to check "facing away from player"?
Not in one statement (without script), but you can do it another way.

If you look in the IF statement conditions, there's a condition where you can read a character or event's facing direction. So you can do a set of 4 statements where you basically say...

IF player character is facing up THEN
{
IF event is facing up THEN
{
do stuff
}
}

... and variants of that approach.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not in one statement (without script), but you can do it another way.

If you look in the IF statement conditions, there's a condition where you can read a character or event's facing direction. So you can do a set of 4 statements where you basically say...

IF player character is facing up THEN
{
IF event is facing up THEN
{
do stuff
}
}

... and variants of that approach.
Actually if you touch the event, then it's always facing toward player (if no "direction fix" checked), so it's not gonna work this time.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually if you touch the event, then it's always facing toward player (if no "direction fix" checked), so it's not gonna work this time.
As RCXDan's example was about them sneaking up on an enemy, I assumed that they would have "direction fix" checked.

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks like you are looking for Symbol Encounter (Here's a translated version with a demo)

While on stealth if you touch an enemy encounter from the back you start battle in preemptive battle mode, if enemy does it to you then they get a turn first.

Can configure for enemies to run away from you after certain levels, and other things.

Note that for a character to be in stealth you will need to set up a skill or an item that provides that effect with a plugin command

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it
Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
packerus