Facing Conditional & Input Detection

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Drunken Paladin, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Drunken Paladin

Drunken Paladin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi folks, I'm struggling with two separate components of what I thought would be a really simple event.

Firstly, I can't seem to find a good way to make a conditional branch that checks which direction your character is facing in the event that you change directions while already on the tile.

And secondly, I am struggling to make an input detection event that checks for more than 1 frame without creating a new parallel common event for each instance where I want this check to occur (which is a lot). The reason a parallel process is an issue is because each check will give the player an item, and ideally, trigger a self-switch.

This all seems really messy for something so simple. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Whoops! I'm no longer sure if this was the right subforum.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why? which maker are you asking about, then we can move it into the correct place?

That said, we need more info because both questions have obvious solutions - one is with the conditional for player facing, but using it to determine from where the player came onto that tile.
    As with the button, it is difficult to do this without a parallel process, but you usually only need one single parallel process and not more.

So it would be helpfull to get a better explanation on where exactly your problem lies, then we can look for a workaround.

3. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    I read "Deployment" at the top of the subforum and thought for a minute that's where I'd posted somehow.

As for where the problem lies, I only know how to check which direction the player is facing when they first step onto the tile.

The reason I was trying to avoid a common event for this is just because there will probably be hundreds of events like this, and I couldn't think of a way to do it without creating unique switches for each one. Ideally, being able to work in self-switches to make copying the event easier would save a lot of time and clutter in the long run.

So I guess it's not so much the common event I'm trying to avoid but a unique common event or switch for each check.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OK, no move then - deployment is a subforum and you were in the correct one.

That said, I think you're under some misconceptions on how events work.

1) a "below" event is triggered when the player enters that tile, which makes his facing on that moment a clear indicator.
    After that, the player cannot turn on the tile unless either he tries to go into a blocked direction or uses a plugin to change the engine to allow turning without moving. In both cases the event below is not triggered (again, unless a plugin does this).
    If the player is turned by another event without moving, then the problem does not directly exist because in that case the other event can also handle any check that might be neccessary (cutscenes should always be controlled by a single event, never spread the commands of a single cutscene over several events.

2) common events can be used in different ways and I strongly suspect that you're not thinking about the correct way for this instance.
    But I can't tell that without more details on what exactly you want to do.
    Please give a detailed example of what you're trying to do, then I can probably tell you the correct workaround.

5. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    1. I am talking specifically about an instance where the player faces a blocked tile, thereby changing directions without leaving the tile. I am aware that the event is not triggered, and that's why I'm here asking for a way to trigger that event.

2. I want to make an event that first checks the player's facing while on a tile, whether they turned into a blocked tile or not. If this condition is met, I want to show a balloon icon. Then, while the facing condition is met, I want to also check for a button input. If both conditions are met, the player receives an item.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) can only be done by plugin, you should start a topic as plugin request for this.

2) sometimes it helps if you think outside the box - there is a solution that doesn't require any parallel processes.
    Have the event on the tile triggered by action button, and in that event you check a flag for conditions met.
    If conditions are met, give item and if not, ignore the action button and do nothing. No need to continually check for button presses that way.

That "flag for conditions met" should be set by the plugin you request in part 1, usually as a switch because that is easiest to check in the event - you'll need a detailed description of the entire sequence when you're requesting that plugin, but it should be relatively easy to implement on the move check.