WingedHares

We've stitched our scars with golden strings.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Okay, I've searched as best I could and even tried doing it on my own ( even had a helper for a hot minute before she disappeared ), but as my head hurts and my self-confidence dwindles-- I suppose it is time to strip my pride, learn to work smart, and finally ask y'all skilled scripters for help ;v;

A scripter told me to ask here first before spending a buttload of money on plugins, so here I am. Since my games are commercial anyway, I'm willing to pay someone if no one picks up the request after some time. But since this may benefit other devs as well, I feel inclined to ask here beforehand.

I'd likely use this in all my games and proper credit will always be given.

Anyways, as the thread name suggests, I need a plugin or at least custom text codes for VisuStella Message Core that will allow text messages to fade in and out as needed.

Fade in is possible without player input whilst fade out isn't. Because this will primarily be used for content warnings, I want to ensure players have read everything before they proceed. Of course, feel free to create it so that devs can disable or enable player input whenever.

I need this function as an addition, not a replacement to the usual text message transition in MZ.

As I may use a lot of things Team VisuStella offers, please make sure the plugin is compatible with them.

Why not just use show picture, you may ask? Well, I want the text to appear typed in, not static unless players set the speed to be instant. I could tack in a video but then the latter would be impossible and not an efficient route size-wise.

Good transitions are important to me as it could enhance the mood of the scenes, especially when my games are heavy in the story elements.

I sincerely hope someone would pick this up. Feel free to ask if I'm not explaining it clear enough, but you're interested in tackling it. And do tell if there's actually a chance it already exists and I'm just too dumb to find it, lol.
Thank you in advance and have a nice day
: )

~ Nameless L.W. / WingedHares Studio​

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I'd just use Show Picture. How are you going to have text appearing to be typed in, if the message isn't visible for a good part of it because it's still fading in?

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly, I'd just use Show Picture. How are you going to have text appearing to be typed in, if the message isn't visible for a good part of it because it's still fading in?
I'm thinking the name / warning box fades in, waits, then the content of the text types in as normal, player clicks, then everything fades out.

If that's really not possible, then I guess I have no choice but to use show picture. Still worth an ask tho x'D

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yNimFoP.png

Text is on a higher level than pictures. Use show picture to fade in the background for your text box, then set your text box to have a 'transparent' background and type over it. When the message is done, fade the picture out.

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
yNimFoP.png

Text is on a higher level than pictures. Use show picture to fade in the background for your text box, then set your text box to have a 'transparent' background and type over it. When the message is done, fade the picture out.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've come across something similar before, but I'm not sure if it also fades the text or just take it away as usual? Abruptly. Wouldn't that look rather jarring?

And I doubt the illusion would work without a text box/picture. I don't necessarily use them for content warnings as they're usually already atop a black screen, before the scene starts.

I've seen gab messages, so I'm certain fading text is possible. Unless that's actually through the use of this method?

If all else fails, I guess I'll just turn the text into a picture and go the Show Picture route :'3

Is calling it text message a misnomer? Cuz my issue is mostly with fading the text itself, not the box. I'll edit it to just text if so.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm confused about what you want from the text appearing - do you want it to fade in or appear as normal letter-by-letter.

For a fade-out disappearance for the text, you can just take a screenshot of the complete message, snip out the text area, place it as a picture exactly under the text, remove the actual 'message', then fade out the picture.

So you'd have

->Gradual fade in of the message background (picture)
->Text typing as normal (message box)
->Text is completely typed, full message displayed on screen (message box)
->Text and background starts to fade out (picture)

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm confused about what you want from the text appearing - do you want it to fade in or appear as normal letter-by-letter.
Sorry, lol. I want it to appear as normal letter-by-letter then fade out, but if that's not possible, I gotta settle with the easiest route to the fade effect.

This is what I want specifically:
I'm thinking the name / warning box fades in, waits, then the content of the text types in as normal, player clicks, then everything fades out.

For a fade-out disappearance for the text, you can just take a screenshot of the complete message, snip out the text area, place it as a picture exactly under the text, remove the actual 'message', then fade out the picture.

So you'd have

->Gradual fade in of the message background (picture)
->Text typing as normal (message box)
->Text is completely typed, full message displayed on screen (message box)
->Text and background starts to fade out (picture)
That sounds plausible. I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it works. Gotta settle with something for now. Thanks : D

I was thinking something more of a plugin or text code to do this exact effect though. Would be faster that way xD

But are those actually possible? If so, I may just hire someone for it. If not, I don't wanna waste someone's time and my money, lol.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was thinking something more of a plugin or text code to do this exact effect though. Would be faster that way...I may just hire someone for it.
Restart's suggestion is 4 button clicks in the event commands, plus, like, maybe a minute to set up and take the screenshot for the fading out substitution.

How many times are you going to do this in your game that it's not worth your time to just do it instead of commissioning someone to write it as a plugin? o_O

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Restart's suggestion is 4 button clicks in the event commands, plus, like, maybe a minute to set up and take the screenshot for the fading out substitution.
It won't take much time, but it would be awkward if someone disect's the game's folder and finds a bunch of pics on content warnings, especially since the game puts emphasis on programming as part of the metafiction genre x'D

I will definitely hire a programmer once I have the means to. I'm not exactly rolling in dough, lol.

How many times are you going to do this in your game that it's not worth your time to just do it instead of commissioning someone to write it as a plugin? o_O
I'll be using it quite often, yes, hence the need for a plugin or text code :'D

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It won't take much time, but it would be awkward if someone disect's the game's folder and finds a bunch of pics on content warnings
And it's not the same content you're warning about, to be able to just reuse the screen? And you're going to have these warnings in the middle of your gameplay?

Basing your decisions on whether you think users are going to randomly look through your game assets is odd to me, but hey! It's your game and your money, I wish you the best :smile:

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
And it's not the same content you're warning about, to be able to just reuse the screen? And you're going to have these warnings in the middle of your gameplay?
Yes to the former, maybe to the latter.

Basing your decisions on whether you think users are going to randomly look through your game assets is odd to me,
The game is rather inspired by Doki Doki Literature Club and yes, people have disect that game front and back, so I gotta take that into consideration. I've been told my thinking and methods are odd, so you're not alone ;p

but hey! It's your game and your money, I wish you the best :smile:
Thank you :D

Anyways, I'll hire someone for this later this month. I may share the result here for anyone interested to keep the thread relevant. I feel bad that my posting here may have just overcomplicated things. Lesson learned x'D

Last edited:

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you're worried about users randomly looking through your assets, do what the old LotR PC games did, back when they had such limited file space that they put most of the game's text into numbered paragraphs in the manual:

Lie.

Put in fake passwords. Have a paragraph about aragorn turning into a vampire and betraying you.

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
if you're worried about users randomly looking through your assets, do what the old LotR PC games did, back when they had such limited file space that they put most of the game's text into numbered paragraphs in the manual:

Lie.

Put in fake passwords. Have a paragraph about aragorn turning into a vampire and betraying you.
Aha, damn, that's interesting! xD

I'm not exactly worried, but I would like them to be secured somehow, so I may look into that and other possible methods. Thank you : D

WingedHares

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, so.
I have yet to hire someone for this since I gotta focus on other matters first, but. Is there any chance a script call for fading in text box exists, like there is for BGM? I think not, otherwise people would mention it, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance : D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Lee Sang wrote on Bandito's profile.
Hi, I've just tried your plugin "Game is Active" and when I tested it on Android, it gave me an error, something about "resolution".
With my project, I want the player to have access to all the tools they need to get from New Game to Credits as soon as possible; I want the player's progress to only be impeded by the player not knowing how to use the tools the game provides.
Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg
finally drew the last member of "team outcast" for my game. since my game has a lot fighting game elements in it, there's bosses in teams of three like King of Fighters.
What do you guys think about Survival mechanics in games (Hunger, thirst, etc.)?
Do you find them to be an enjoyable obstacle or a bit of a nuisance?

Asking for a friend... :stickytongue:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shadowjack60