Fae Rebirth

Do you think this chapter one is ready to be a complete game?

• Total voters

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can a young woman, stripped of her memories and humanity, let go of the past and make a new future for herself?

…or will she embrace a darkness the last of her race awakened in her?

Story

One hundred years ago, humans raged a war for dominance over the magical creatures. One by one their prey surrendered until even the dragons fell. Only the fae, a race whose blood ran thick with ancient power, stood fast. But, they were outnumbered and all but died out.
...or so the humans thought...

In the present day, humans rule the realm of Denad while creatures of magic do slave labor. In this new world only two people with fae blood are alive. Ares, the last full blood fae, and Elyn, a young woman with fae ancestry.

In a desperate attempt to preserve his race, Ares found Elyn, and despite her unwillingness, attempted to magically isolate her fae side. The results were imperfect and can only be finalized during the Summer solstice. Unfortunately, the Danadians found out about Elyn and Ares, and sent soldiers to capture them.

The story begins with the soldier’s arrival. Ares manages to help Elyn escape, but it’s at the expense of his own capture.

After escaping the soldiers, Elyn wakes up alone in a forest with no memory of who she is. There she meets Kel, a young man with shifter ancestry. He tells her that he's following a map his late brother gave him. They need to go to a hidden chamber in the mountains of Estia. There's supposed to be something there that will free the magical creatures when wielded by its keeper, whoever that is. Completing that quest was his brother's dying wish.

Not knowing or having anyone else, Elyn joins Kel on his quest to change the world. She can meet many interesting characters, find love and learn about herself along the way. Her relationships and choices influence the way the story flows and ends.
World
In the realm of Denad, humans live in relative comfort at the expense of magical creatures. Soldiers enforce that balance, even if it means killing non-humans. The realm is ruled by King Herald Trovenell, the vile descendent of the man who began the war. He is constantly paranoid about losing his power, and thus has spies everywhere. In the central country, there are farms, small towns, and the capital city. To the east is a barren wasteland, to the south is the ocean, to the west are marshes and woodlands, and to the north are the mountains of Estia.
Central Country
The heart of the realm. The capital city of Averdene is here. It is dotted with towns and small woods.
The Mountains of Estia
The mysteries hidden in its depths are endless. Very few try to discover them, and even fewer succeed. It is also where the mines are held. There, dragons and dwarves are forced to work together and mine whatever the realm demands.
Coast
Lining the endless ocean that separates Denad from whatever lies beyond, the coast is mostly full of fishing towns. A trademark feature of this area are the merfolk, who in return for not being caught and eaten, assist the fishermen.
Wastelands
It used to have a name, but no one is old enough to remember it. Legend has it that it used to be a beautiful land that housed a mighty empire, then some strange magic destroyed it.
Wilderness
Made up of marshes and vast forests, the wilderness is full of dangerous monsters. Very few dare to go in too deep if at all.
Characters
Elyn

An amnesic young woman with unusual abilities. She is part fae and was kidnapped by Ares to be stripped of her humanity. Only the summer solstice can finalize her fate. By chance she meets Kel and finds herself on a quest to change the world--for better or worse.
Ares

The last full blood fae. He will do anything to reach his goals, even if it means playing God. He is a possible love interest of Elyn's.
Kel

A part human with shifter ancestry. He is on a quest to fulfill his late brother's dying wish, even if it kills him. He is a possible love interest of Elyn's.
Klein

A runt of a dwarf, whose name actually means "small". He's had to work in the mines his entire life and hates it. Despite his size, he is ambitious and daring. He also thinks far outside the box. For one thing, he has befriended a likeminded dragon, despite common distaste between the two races. He secretly learned the art of fighting with a battleaxe from his grandfather, who was brave enough to pass on his skill.
Skylight

A female dragon and a close friend of Klein. Her mother gave her a name that's uncommon for the times. It's from an age when dragons flew free with the wind under their wings and the sun on their faces. Despite working in the mines her entire life, Skylight dreams of the freedom to stretch her wings and soar above the clouds.
Roman

A vampire who has been in a self induced sleep since the end of the war. Only someone with fae blood can awaken him and his wife, Victoria. The couple were separated decades ago, and Roman is desperate to find her. Aside from that, he wants revenge for what the humans did to his race.
Victoria

A vampiress who has been in a self induced sleep since the end of the war. Only someone with fae blood can awaken her and her husband, Roman. The couple were separated decades ago, and all she can do is wait for someone to rescue her. She shares Roman's vengeful ambitions, but is a kinder soul than she lets on.
Screenshots
Cutscenes
Intro

Towns
Lornly

Wilderness

Haunted Woods

Videos
Chapter One: AwakeningTrailersChapter One Demo Trailer (Note: This was made for an early version of the demo. It does not reflect the new and improved one.)
Clips

Chapter Two: Outcasts

Sneak Peeks
Credits
Chapter One: Awakening
GraphicsTilesets
Enterbrain
Celianna (Your tilesets are gorgeous! I would be lost without them. Thanks!)Lunarea(You're a talented artist! I really like your rich/poor tilesets.)
Generator Parts

EnterbrainRainbowGrenade(I love your teary eyes graphic. A million hugs for how much it adds to any game that uses it!)
Music

EnterbrainAaron Krogh(Your music is amazing! We're lucky to have you here.)

McTricky(Love your battle music. You Are The Target is a great theme!)

RyanA(You've written some great stuff! A few of the song titles made me laugh out loud too. eg. *You stole my sandwich! Prepare to die!* LOL!)

DST(Huge collection of free original game music. Great resource. Here's the offsite link.)

Matthew Pablo(Another offsite musician, and a great composer. His song, Soliloquy, is the main theme for this game. Here's the link to his website.)

Alastair Cameron(I've been using his music for years. He charges money now, but I still have some music of his from when it was free. Here's the offsite link.)
Scripts

Enterbrainmodern algebra(Your Lock Actor in Formation script is excellent!)

Melosx(Your Window_SaveFile II script really spices up the look of the save system!)

Yanfly(I tried out your Ace Battle Engine and fell in love! Thanks!)

Hime Works(Thank you for making common events work in the menu! My skill system is saved!)
Chapter Two: Outcasts

Music800 M.P.H.(I love your song, Mellow Darkness!)
Downloads

Chapter One: Awakening

Chapter one is mostly linear. The exception to this is a subplot and some other optional content. Basically, this is the introductory chapter. It sets the stage for the story. It introduces two of the main characters, and hints at a third.A new and improved demo has been uploaded! You can find it in the Release Something Weekend part of the forums! Here is the link to the RSW topic!
This is my first game using RPG Maker, but it isn’t my first game ever. I’ve been designing computer games since I was eleven and telling stories since I was a toddler, so I’m not going into this unprepared.

I’m not saying it will be easy or even quick to develop this game, though. It will probably take me a lot of time to finish it, but I have the core of the story and world outlined, both written down and in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidDreamer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm intrigued. The whole human/non-human dynamic reminds me a lot of Radiata Stories, a game I liked very much. Apart from that, the potential for moral decisions affecting the overall outcome of the game is interesting, and I'm always a sucker for multiple love interests to choose from. I'll be watching this.

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I totally agree with the Radiata Stories comparison. I LOVE this, totally following. I like your screens, and world too. Good job. <3

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks guys! =)

I've never played Radiata Stories, but I'll be sure to look it up.

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I removed the generic Attack and Guard commands in battle. I replaced them with combat oriented skills that are unlocked over time. Also, each class has their own weapon type. For example, Kel uses a claw which, in the case of this game, is a classic shifter weapon.

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updates:

1. Finished the introductory content that comes after the opening cutscene.
  2. Added some magic oriented skills that are unlocked over time.
  3. Edited and added some enemies and troops.
  4. Created part of the world map (which will be split into many different maps).
  5. Added the exterior map for a town called Lornly. See a screenshot of it here!

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's been almost two months and I sadly don't have much to show for it. I'm sorry it took so long to update.

Updates:

1. Created one of the interior maps for the town Lornly. Here's a screen shot of it!
  2. Added an interesting and slightly humorous character named Lauren. She has a small role, but I like how she turned out so much, that I might have her show up again in the future.
  3. Added a conversation between Elyn, Kel, and Lauren. It plays a key role in getting out of the wilderness fringes and into the central country. (See first post for more information about the game world.)
Edit: I finished the town of Lornly. A screenshot of the tavern as well as a playthrough video of the game so far are now in the first post.

LoneWolfDon

Big Don
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This looks really nice and interesting so far from what you've shown here. I'd be eager to give this game a play when it's ready. Keep up the great work, and good-luck with your project! :)

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updates:

1. Made three maps for the haunted woods. (See the screen shots in the first post!)
  2. Made it so Bo Johnson moves in the direction you're supposed to go. Then he waits for you to catch up with him before taking you to the next map.
  3. There are three treasure chests in the woods as a whole. Each one has some pretty useful stuff, but by going off course to open them, you risk encountering more monsters.
  4. In the third map, I added a boss battle and a cutscene.

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updates:

1. Added a second world map for the Central Country. It includes borderlines for various other parts of the realm. For more information about the game world, look at the first post. See the screenshot here!
  2. Added the exterior maps for the capital city of Denad. It's called Averdene. See the screen shots in the first post!
  3. Worked some more on my experience based skill system. I'm planning on doing this game in parts, so I want as much of my database completed as possible in chapter one.
To-Do List:

Database:

1. Create and edit the skills.
  2. Create and edit the items.
  3. Create and edit the weapons.
  4. Create and edit the armors.
  5. Create and edit the enemies.
  6. Create and edit the troops.
  7. Finnish my skill system.
    Maps:

1. Create the interior maps for the city of Averdene. 0/12
  2. Create the maps for the end of the chapter. 0/3
    Events:

1. Create the Averdene shopkeepers. 0/5
  2. Create the Averdene innkeeper and his interactions. 0/1
  3. Create the optional subplot.
  4. Create the end of chapter content.
Questions:

If you looked at the world map above, you'll have noticed farms and towns. I wasn't sure if I could add anything relevant to the game by making maps for them. I could be wrong, though. So here are two questions:

1. Would you like me to make maps and content for the farms and towns?
  2. If so, what content should they have that would be relevant to the game?
If you checked out the screenshots of Averdene's exterior maps, you'll have noticed quite a few buildings. Some of them are houses for the common folk, others for the rich folk. The player can enter the shops, the cathedral, and the orphanage next to it (be it with some trial and error). The palace is off limits to people like the main characters, however, I haven't made plans to make interior maps for the houses. So here are another two questions:

1. Would you like me to make maps and content for the houses?
  2. If so, what content should they have?
Note that the more content I have to add, the longer it will take for me to release a demo of chapter one. I'm hoping that demo isn't too far off, but only time will tell. Any feedback is appreciated, and thanks to everyone who's interested in Fae Rebirth.

Edit: I've finished most everything I need in the database, at least for this chapter and part of the second. All I need to work on now is the mapping and story oriented content. I think the demo might actually get done in time for Release Something Weekend! =)

ZeroAtEnd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This seems pretty interesting, I do look forward to this. Keep up the work!

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just uploaded a trailer for the upcoming demo of chapter one! You can find it in the first post or here.

You can also keep track of the development progress in the download's section.

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updates:

1. Finished all of the Averdene shop interiors and their owners.
  2. Finished the innkeeper and his interactions.
  3. Added more content to the haunted woods. Hopefully it will make the game less linear and more interesting.
What's Left:

1. The optional subplot. (3 maps and all the eventing.)
  2. The rest of the extra haunted woods content. (3 maps and the events.)
  3. The end of chapter content. (2 maps and all the eventing.)
  4. A lot of testing.
Can I do that in three days?

Release something weekend is almost here, and getting this demo out in time will be tough. I'll do my best to not let you guys down. I will continue to update this topic with my progress. You can also keep track of the specifics in the downloads section of the first post.

Edit: I finished the ending! That's one of three things to go.

Edit 2: I can't believe it, but I finished all of the extra haunted woods content! It ended up being more complicated than I first planned, but it turned out great! The optional subplot is going to be even more complicated. Wish me luck. :)

veraeve1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Intro was sweet,The first village,took me a bit to figure out how to enter the houses ^^
Felt like so many items we're given quickly within the first 10 minutes of play,still not finished with demo yet.

Randommerade

All those years, outside looking in...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This game looks so sweet! Will be checking out the demo soon! ^.^ /follows topic

EDIT: Just played the demo! It's very good, and this game has great potential. You did a very good job on the opening cutscene. The only thing that really bothered me was that every single house in the towns was locked - you could open a few for exploration, maybe even some items to collect in there. But this game is great and I'm looking forward to more of it. :3

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, it's been a few days since I released the demo. I've received and looked over the feedback so far, and I put together a list of issues.

1. Too many random encounters
  2. Navigation between maps is confusing
  3. Battles have the same routine and are bland
  4. The Hit skill can't be used, even though it's in the battle menu
  5. Maps are either too cramped or too bare
  6. Map design is a little consistent and could use work in places
  7. There aren't enough exploration possibilities. (eg. Most of the houses can't be entered.)
  8. The dialog is cliche at times
  9. It is mostly used to progress the plot and lacks enough character development
I fixed issues #1 and #2 since hearing about them. #2 took a little more trial and error. There was confusion about how to get into towns and buildings so I added lights to indicate entrances and other places of interest. You don't have to press the action button to get everywhere anymore, just where there are lights. Otherwise you transition from one part of an area to its counterpart on contact.

Issue #3 may or may not be so true. One person suggested that I give the players more skills and special attacks to make battles more interesting. The thing is, the players start with only a few skills, but they gain new ones based on usage. Chapter one isn't long enough to unlock very many(if any) new skills. It's part of the game as a whole to gain more abilities. If you think that still leaves something to be desired, please let me know. I value your input.

Issue #4 caused some confusion. There are combat skills in this game that replace the generic attack command. Hit is one of those skills. The reason it can't be used in battle at times, is because you can only use it when you aren't wielding a weapon. It's the other way around with skills like Hack, which can only be used when you ARE wielding a weapon. If I made any of those skills work all the time, damage wouldn't be dealt realistically. Do you hit with a sword? Do you hack with your fist? The battle formula wouldn't be able to handle it right. The extra commands are in the battle menu and are sealed to indicate this. I hope that cleared up the confusion.

Issues #5 and #6 boil down to about the same thing. My maps need some work. Someone felt navigation was too cramped in places, yet in others, someone thought they were too bare. I can guess at which maps need work, but your feedback on what you liked or didn't like about them would help me a lot.

Issue #7 shows that I need to work on a very important game mechanic: Exploration. Exploration has been a bit underdone here so far. Most of the houses are locked in both Lornly and Averdene. Despite adding several places of interest, I seem to have slacked in bringing this world to life.

Issues #8 and #9 may be the most important. Dialog. Plot. Character development. You can never work too hard at getting these things right. In a pm, someone told me my characters seemed a little flat and 2d because they were always just focused on the plot. Someone else said there wasn't enough personality in my dialog. This gives me the impression that I need to bring my characters more to life. I want to avoid throwing too much text at you. This isn't a visual novel after all. However, I will see what I can do about making the dialog less cliche and the characters more believable.

Again, I value your input. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Edit: I ended up using Yanfly's Ace Battle Engine script to spice things up a little.

ImmortalDreams

Reality's Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updates:

1. I added two more interior maps to Lornly. One of them is Bo's house, the other belongs to Granny, who is the oldest woman in the village. Granny will have some interesting things to talk about. Bo's house is where Bo goes to get his gear after he agrees to help. This gives you a chance to explore before heading off to the haunted woods with him.
  2. I added Yanfly's Ace Battle Engine to the game. Hopefully that will make the battles look better. It also removes a lot of cumbersome button presses, which is a nice touch. Thank you Yanfly!
  3. I fixed a bug where the player switched from a certain map in the haunted woods to another whenever they pressed the left arrow key.
I have a lot more to do, as you can see by my previous post. I am feeling a little lost about what I need to improve specifically. Are there any places in particular where the dialog needs improvement? Are there things you dislike about certain maps? What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of? Your feedback is always greatly appreciated. Thanks for checking this out. I'll be back soon.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

spending almost entire day to mod skyrim but it still couldn't run properly :(
My friend has become one with the glitter. @ImaginaryVillain, got any room in the Cult of the Sporkle?
I still cannot wrap my head around how to edit and use arrays in RPG Maker MV o_O
Gamemaking has been slower, but I do my best to make small progress every day. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthew_skull