[FAIL] Ideas in Ink: Speechless

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English

Ideas in Ink is a series of topics (12) dedicated to practising writing by assigning writing exercises over a month, each on different aspects or genres. This month we will focus on no dialogue, a challenge topic.

Each month a list of prompts will be posted in a new topic. It is up to those who choose to join in to create written pieces that adhere to both the general topic and the prompts that are given. There will be one piece for each prompt.

What, exactly, that piece will be is up to the writer - poetry, brainstorming, short stories, longer stories, lists of ideas... everything is welcome. Substantial works are encouraged, though, so doing 20 lists each month will be seen as cheating the system and highly discouraged.

You may be as serious or ridiculous as you wish. You may also write about what ever you wish as long as it pertains to the subject/theme and prompt. This means that there will most likely be some over PG rated works. Because of this, I ask that you stick to the rules of posting.

Prizes
As long as you complete all challenges/prompts during the particular month they were given, you are eligible for that months' point. After you receive three, six, nine or twelve points you will be eligible for a secret prize, each escalating in awesomeness~

There are some rules, though!
RULE 01 - Posting
In the interest of making it easy to see who has completed which prompts, you have one post in each thread where you will compile your completed prompts. Use this handy set-up for your initial post!

Prompt: 01Prompt: 02Prompt: 03Prompt: 04Prompt: 05Prompt: 06Prompt: 07Prompt: 08Prompt: 09Prompt: 10Prompt: 11Prompt: 12Prompt: 13Prompt: 14Prompt: 15Prompt: 16Prompt: 17Prompt: 18Prompt: 19Prompt: 20Each prompt should be hidden in spoiler tags with the appropriate heading above them. When you have completed a prompt, bold the header.
If a piece is over a PG rating, it should be tagged with descriptor tags: Sex, Violence, Drugs, etc as well as approximate age tags - 13-15, 15-18, 18+. These must be in bold and next to the title of the piece.
Like so:
Prompt 07 {Sex, Drugs, Foul Language}{18+}
If you are told to change or add tags, do so or I will edit it myself.

I'll be linking each of your main posts to your name in the OP to make it easier to find them, so please follow this for posting prompt updates/additions.

RULE 02 - Necroposting
This thread and the 11 others in the series can be brought back from the dead at any time. It's immune to age, so feel free to post the prompt updates your forgot to add at any time, even two years down the track. If it's past the first month, though, you won't be eligible for that month's point, but you will still gain some pretty good experience.

RULE 03 - Feedback
Please be constructive when giving feedback. This means, try to point out the things you liked in a written piece as well as the parts that need improving. Don't be a dick. Try to be nice about it: "I liked your character, but I think you need to check out your spelling and grammar. Also, the theme is really good, but there needs to be a bit more reaction from the surprise twist. As it stands your character kinda just takes it as is and doesn't really react at all..."

There will also be incentives for giving feedback, though they are still being worked out. To give feedback, add a post in this thread with a link to the writers' post and the name or number of the prompt for which you are leaving the feedback.

*RULE 04 - Word Limits
I don't want to be all strict, but I do want to point out that using each prompt for only 3-6 lines is a bit wasteful. I don't want to instil a word limit as I feel that that would be limiting a person's scope, but as this is a competition and there are prizes at stake, I also don't want people to just half-ass the whole thing, thinking it an easy challenge to gain free swag. The idea, as already posted, is to challenge yourself. You are your own competition. So please, don't just write a few lines for each and every prompt and consider it 'done'. I will have to pull out my disqualification hammer at that point and I really don't want to do that. Try to do something a little substantial now and then, okay?

Let's get this started then, shall we? Keep in mind that this is supposed to have NO DIALOGUE~ This is all about jumping out of your comfort zone, experimenting and just having fun with words. Keep that in mind~

Prompts

01 - Single File
02 - Left Behind
03 - Desperation
04 - Considerate Love
05 - Under the Mistletoe
06 - Where the Heart Lay
07 - Been Here Forever
08 - Over the Moon
09 - Words Unspoken
10 - Loss
11 - In the Middle of Never
12 - Standing Tall
13 - Just Another Step
14 - Killings
15 - A Warriors Hope
16 - The Always
17 - End of Daylight
18 - Even Demons Love
19 - Stalwart
20 - Kindness in Unexpected Places

Topics

01 : 02 : 03 : 04 : 05 : 06
07 : 08 : 09 : 10 : 11 : 12

FAQ

So what is this for? What's the deal with this contest/event? What's the aim?
The aim of this contest is simple - practice your writing skills, give some feedback and get out of your comfort zone. Not all competitions are about beating the other people. This one is about beating yourself. Can you last all 12 months to get the ultimate prize? Can you write on demand, using prompts that might take you out of your comfort zone? Can you get better at writing while you do so? Can you learn more about yourself during the process and will this help your games become better because of this practise in which you are indulging?
Also?
Swag~

Last edited by a moderator:

Des

timefantasy.net
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
N/A
no dialogue? jesus two miss topics in a row. dialogue is the thing people need most to improve on

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No dialogue? So no words? Not even thinking?

Edit: By no words, I mean speech.

@საქართველოშიც: Actually, I think no dialogue is genius. Many people can't survive without dialogue. They should improve with this then.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
<p>Note: This is not technically a double post, but my prompt list.<br />
Note: So the first two stories are stand-alone, while the rest are a full story. Just to let you know.<br />
<br />
Prompt: 01 Single file (finished)<br />

<br />
The words that echo in your head.<br />
Left, right, left, right.<br />
Never stopping, never ceasing.<br />
No matter what you keep a beat.<br />
Through awesome cold, and blaring heat.<br />
Some may fall, but you must stand.<br />
Keep on marching till your end.<br />
Tire not, nor complain.<br />
Pain and lust drive you insane.<br />
A drink to fill, not ever since.<br />
The end. The beginning.<br />
March. March.<br />
March. Left. March. Right.<br />
<br />
<br />
Prompt: 02 Left behind (finished)<br />
<br />
A child is left behind in an empty city. His family, his friends. A lie. He has none. He had none. No warm summer days. No warm fire in the winter. No love. No compassion. He cannot object, for he cannot speak.<br />
<br />
Many people threw dirt in his face. They treated him as dirt. But even his tears were not heard. Even now, there is no sound. So little, you could hear a pebble drop a mile away. For he cannot make a sound himself, for he cannot move.<br />
<br />
He would not react to a question. He knew not what it meant. Yes, no. What were these? He could not know. No education. No future, no hope. No knocking on the door by opportunity. He cannot answer, for he cannot hear.<br />
<br />
Off in the distance, there is thunder, a deep rumbling that shakes him. It is far away, but that doesn’t matter. Even if the ground split, he would not notice. He is incapable. He cannot watch doom unfold before him, for he cannot see.<br />
<br />
A single man appears in the distance. He sees the boy. Coming up, he tries to talk to the boy. No answer. He tries, to lift the boy up. No movement. He starts to shout in despair. No listening. He tries to motion to the boy. No reaction. He cannot answer, nor listen, nor move, nor react; for he cannot feel.<br />
<br />
<br />
Prompt: 03 Desperation (finished/under judgement)<br />
<br />
I look back at the chasm, and can see the claws of the Gareen still hanging on to the edge. I had felled it in minutes, yet it still refused to die. Desperate to live, it willed itself to do so. What a dangerous concept. I walked back up to the edge, and looked down. The gray monster looked back up at me, its eyes pleading to leave it alone to escape. I almost wanted to help it, but knew it would not be for the better. I almost wanted to speak to the damned creature. But it wouldn’t speak back. It knew no English. I sighed, and wondered: What would it do if it kept living? Would it go home, and start a family, or would it start again, pillaging, killing, mutilating…I wouldn’t know, unless it happened to come back to bite me in the butt. Now I honestly felt bad. This is why adventurers fought fight, and thought later; I realized.<br />
<br />
I found myself, for quite a while longer, just observing the monster. Now that it just kept clawing and wanting to be alive, it didn’t seem so bad. What delusion, I had. I almost laughed. How trivial. How funny. I then decided to back away from the edge. I no longer wanted to look at it. I had had my moment. I was now over it. What a funny thought. Creatures having souls. I chuckled, and left the creature be. If it attacked me again, it wouldn’t be so hard to beat. I clung onto the thought as I left the cave alone.<br />
<br />
Prompt: 04 Finished<br />
</p>
<p>The considerate love of a stranger. What an odd concept.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To be loved a fair amount, but not enough that you might actually call it love.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It can't really be called love at all...but it is.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Considerate love won't save you from a fall, or help you in a fight.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In contrary, they might even fight you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Considerate hate, is not hate, just as considerate love isn't love.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Considerate hate would make them avoid you, while considerate love might make them ignore you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Considerate hate, what an odd concept. 
<br />
Prompt: 05 (finished) <strong>Chapter 1!</strong><br />
</p>
<p><strong>Chapter 1: Under the mistletoe</strong></p>
<p>            Lucas had always hated parties. Whether it be a Day of the Phoenix party, or his own birthday party, he wanted none of it. No, it didn’t have to do with “being too old” to have parties or anything of that nature. He just hated party people. Like those who were extremely cheerful, social, and wanted to make Lucas join in in anything. He didn’t want to join in. He would rather just still by the windows and dream of adventure, and more importantly, stare into the window of Astin, the ginger vixen across the road. She didn’t mind…or as much as he thought. So he really didn’t enjoy it when he was taken away from those pleasures. As for adventuring, he felt he was born to do it, as his father had died doing it. His dream was to sail and explore the world…with Astin by his side. That was all part of his master plan. Again, that was why he didn’t like parties. But currently was the annual family Zeizerday potluck; which meant dozens of relatives and “friends” coming over to celebrate the coming of the Yellow Moon, when the largest moon turns bright neon yellow, for some scientific reason or such. So another evening ruined for him. So there he was, finishing up his homework for the night, when the first guests arrived. Lucas closed his book and waited. Moments later, his mother’s footsteps could be heard down the hall. Lucas already knew that his homework was no longer a priority. He let his mother come in and beckon him to the greeting hall.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>              Now would be a good time to describe this boy. Lucas was eighteen, and only three months away from nineteen, the year he would set off for adventure…if he could convince Astin. His was also quite tall, measuring an even six feet. His hair was blonde, but dusted over in red naturally. His eyes glowed a dark blue hue, and his freckles were undetectable from far away. He was usually wearing a tunic, and tightly fitting pants, to look more like an adventurer, and had more pairs of shoes than anyone else in the village. His hair hung down to the bottom of his neck, but the front was quite short, to enhance visibility. He had grown up in the countryside, and was very strong, to say the least, and could swordfight almost as well as his father.</p>
<p>Now back to the story.</p>
<p>               </p>
<p>               He arrived in the hall to meet the first few guests. They happened to be Hal D’Rop, and his wife and dreaded child. There was nothing wrong with the child, he was just <strong>loud.</strong> And that made the boy so much harder to ignore. He and his mother greeted the guests, and Kil, the loud son, gave his usual booming response.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Next were the Hathrings. They were well regarded as the true upper class of the city, and usually bought their way into any party they could. There was nothing bad about them, apart from their completely snobby attitude. They had no children. Lucas tried to be as polite as possible when greeting them. He really didn’t want to anger them, since they were so powerful here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The third set of guests was mostly assorted, some from Lucas’ mother’s workplace, and some from around town, and a couple that Lucas didn’t recognize.  They were greeted accordingly. By this time, Lucas had slipped off towards his room to see if Astin was still home. He wondered whether she would be going to a party, or having her own…what if she hated parties too? His mind and heart were racing, as he raced to his room.  He quickly and quietly escaped to his room, and shut the door firmly. He then peered out the window, towards Astin’s window. In the room, was in fact, Astin. Lucas felt chills, and started to imagine all the reasons why she would not be out yet. What happened next was really frightening, however. Astin then looked over at Lucas. Lucas froze. What was she going to think? Would she think he was a pervert…or worse? He worried frantically. Then, out of nowhere, he waved. He didn’t will it, but he waved. And she waved back. And smiled. Lucas realized his mind was working at a snail’s pace, and wished she could hear him through the glass. He was unsure of what he had caused…he quickly backed away from the window, breathing heavily.</p>
<p>             </p>
<p>             When he got the urge to look back, she was gone. Lucas didn’t know whether he should be enthralled, or terrified. He left the window, and sat back at his desk. Astin had probably gone to a party. Oh well, it would’ve been nice to see her for longer. He opened his book to do work, but in minutes, found himself drawing Astin with ink…which wasn’t going to come out…erg. He left his book be, and decided to join the party. Maybe a few snacks would help him think.</p>
<p>                  </p>
<p>             He rejoined the party to find Kil loudly telling a story of lore and legends, something Kil was quite good at, Lucas hated to mention. He instantly headed towards the snack table, and grabbed a handful of chips, and stuffed them in his mouth. Suddenly he heard a voice call his name. He turned around to see Astin, happy smiling, while he stood next to the snack table with chips in his mouth.</p>
<p>Following the most painful swallow of his life, Lucas managed to murmur hello back to the girl of his dreams.  There was a pause, not quite awkward, but not exactly pleasant. Astin then mentioned to Lucas silently, and started to head towards the side door. Lucas followed hurriedly, trying not lose her. He turned around the corner, and stopped before he bumped into her. Then…he noticed something above his head. Mistletoe. Suddenly he felt warm lips against his. Astin’s lips. He wanted to melt. It was amazing. They kissed for about fifteen minutes, and then slowly came apart. The feeling, the spark between them was definitely mutual. It was inevitable, they started making out again. Lucas knew his mother wouldn’t approve of this during her party, but he didn’t care. His dream was coming true.</p>
<div>
<p> </p>
<p>*****************************</p>
<p> </p>
<p>              Astin returned home, happy as could be. She had just taken the leap and kissed the boy she had liked since 5<sup>th</sup> year. And he had kissed back. Her mother wasn’t home, so she just went to her room, and lay on her back on the bed. She was ecstatic. She bent over, and opened her drawer. A small book lay inside. She opened it, and placed her piece of mistletoe inside. This was huge. She looked back over the pictures she had collected over the years. Various pictures of Lucas, from 6<sup>th</sup> year onward. Quotes that she had collected of his, and other mementos from years ago. Then she put the book back. Would she and Lucas have a chance together? Would he even look at her again? She was suddenly frightened. What if he didn’t like the kiss? What if it wasn’t special? She lay down again on her bed, full of both doubt and happiness.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p> </p>
<p>***************************** </p>
<p>            </p>
<p>              Lucas was also lying on his bed. Astin felt something, right? He was doubtful. But he hoped…maybe they would meet again. Maybe there was a future for them…he was excited, but scared. He closed his eyes, and imagined what the future would hold…</p>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>*****************************</p>
<p> </p>
<p>               Far off, a watchful eye observed the land of Haphki, where Astin and Lucas were living. Many years ago he had lived there, as a common worker in the mines, but had since moved on…to a better life. At least he kept telling himself that. A large scar covered his left eye, and a silver crown was perched upon his head. He turned away from the screen that showed the land, and walked back to his crudely made throne. The man who had killed him must pay, whether or not he was still alive to receive the damage. The man must pay. He winced at the pain that came to his head. The problem with resurrection is that your head aches like crazy.  He was glad to be alive again, of course, but it had its setbacks. Which reminded him, who was his savior again? Someone along the lines of Aran Chaos…or someone with a similar name…he forgot. He would have to find out. Thanking the man would be payment, and killing him afterwards would be the punishment for the pain. That would be fair enough, hm? He called for his servants to find the man who revived him and then asked them to invite him to a banquet. That would certainly be reward enough. Then he would make preparations for the execution, which he was having trouble deciding on the type of. Sharp things were more fun, while acid allowed a chat before the man died. Both sounded good. He was just like his father.
<br />
 </p>
<p>Prompt: 06 <strong>Finished! Chapter 2, also over 1500 words!</strong><br />
</p>
<p><strong>Chapter 2-Where the heart laid</strong></p>
<p><em>            Nahhhhhh…a whisper of air surrounded Lucas, claws rising up of the ground. They seemed to see him, and started to move menacingly towards him. They seemed to be hissing his name as they came closer and closer. Lucas ran, as fast as he could, escaping the claws. They kept following, but not fast enough that they could catch up. Lucas kept running, and running until they were no longer in sight. He should’ve been safe. The ground started to crack between his feet, and Lucas jumped away, but to no effect, the ground kept cracking between him feet no matter where he went. He started to run for his life again, but was stopped. More claws. Looking behind, he noticed there was no ground behind him. He was trapped, and with no weapons. The claws advanced, and the ground broke behind him, leading to an abyss. The claws would crush him in a second, but the ground below, wherever it was, would shatter his bones…Lucas tried to see a way out. And then there it was, on a nearby ledge, was Astin. If he could jump there, he would be safe! He backed up, and ran to the edge, jumping, reaching. Astin reached out hers, to catch Lucas. He fell closer and closer, reaching out further than he ever had before…and missed. He looked up at Astin as he fell, she was crying, yet he couldn’t do anything. She couldn’t do anything. As he fell, looking down, he heard great, cackling laughter. Laughing on as he fell to him doom…</em></p>
<p> </p>
<p>                Lucas woke up with a start. Eyes open, he looked around, taking in his surroundings. It was his room, the sun shining brightly through his window. A nightmare. In fact, the nightmare he had been having for the past two months. He wiped the beads of sweat off his forehead. When would this end? He hoped soon, as today was the day he set out to the sea with Astin, his girlfriend of three months. It was finally his birthday, he could do it now! He managed to climb out of his bed, and slink over to his closet, where he kept all his best clothes for the special occasion. Opening it up, he picked out the clothes he was going to wear. A fancy purple tunic with all the fixes, pale red pants, some dark brown gloves, his brand new buriti, and at the back of his closet; he brought out a shiny new katana, and his even greater treasure, a thief’s grapple. He had saved up for these for years, and had finally saved up enough to buy them. He had never fought with a katana, or any actual sword before, but had trained with bamboo for years. And his old steel grapple from his great-great-grandfather had lost most its usefulness. He had also been building a boat the whole year, which waited down on the docks for him.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>               He headed downstairs, greeting his mother and Astin, who were waiting down in the dining room. Astin, with a smile, sang Lucas a birthday song, giving him a hug afterwards. Lucas smiled, and hugged her back, giving her a peck on the cheek. She giggled, and then brought out a present. A pair of mithril spheres attached on a spider silk cord was in her hands. She promised to show Lucas how to use them later. He thanked her and cooked his breakfast. Bacon and eggs. He also had enough in his bag to last him and Astin a journey overseas, at least to the nearby town of Righton.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>               After eating, Astin and Lucas started towards the docks, accompanied by his mother, in a small carriage. Astin and Lucas talked most the way, about things that they were going to do once out in the open sea. Astin suggested fishing for Larbin, the great fish that resided just off the mainland. Lucas liked the idea, but also wanted to swim in the Orange Sea, called so because of the sweet water, which seemed to taste mostly like orange than any other food. Astin said it might make a good drink, being an entire freshwater sea. They thought and talked about it, until they reached the docks. Lucas was first out, stretching his legs. Astin followed, and then came out Lucas’ mother. Both Astin and Lucas then ran to the docks excitedly, while Lucas’ mother followed less quickly.</p>
<p> </p>
<div>
<p>               Lucas ran to the furthest dock and turned the corner to see his boat…which wasn’t there. He froze, shocked. Astin turned the corner and also noticed. She too, was short of words. Finally, his mother arrived, smiling. She kept on walking past them to the expensive-looking yacht on the other side of the dock. She then pulled down the platform, and mentioned for them to board. Both Astin and Lucas’ look of horror changed to amazement. They slowly walked towards the large boat, and Lucas let Astin board first. Just before he boarded, Lucas smiled happily at his mother, and gave her a hug and kiss goodbye. He then boarded and brought the platform aboard. Closing the hatch, he then went over to the pulley that controlled the anchor, and pulled a switch. It started coming up by itself, and the boat almost begged to get going. Lucas and Astin quickly pulled the sails open, and ran to the stern to say goodbye. There, on the land, were all of their friends and family, waving as they set off. Leimen, another boy from the village, threw a bottle of champagne at the boat shattering the bottle into a million pieces. Smiling, Lucas and his girlfriend waved back at them. Even as they got farther away, they could still hear Kil’s voice full boom. ..Until they got far enough to realize, even Kil shouldn’t be able to shout that loud. Looking at each other, they knew what was going on. They quickly marched towards the stairway to the two lower decks, and opened the door. There, was a boy of seventeen, realizing that he’d been shouting “goodbye” for too long. But even still, they had just set off with Kil on board.</p>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p>                Astin and Lucas looking at Kil angrily, and Kil smiled nervously. Astin went up and demanded Kil explain himself. He swallowed and explained that he had wanted to get away from the town for quite a while, and had boarded the ship to hopefully sneak off at the next place they visited. He was eager to explore a different land. Astin looked at Lucas with annoyance. They both knew they couldn’t just turn around and drop Kil back; they weren’t adept enough at sailing to perform a u-turn. They told Kil to wait downstairs, and they discussed it up on deck. They could keep the boy until the next island or barge, and then sail off without him, or they could send him home on a rowboat. Lucas wished Kil could just row back, but thought it might be unfair to Kil, and potentially very dangerous. So they agreed to pinpoint the nearest island and drop Kil off there. About to tell Kil, Astin brought up a problem: How were they going to feed all three? Lucas stopped. How were they? It’s not like they had enough food…or did they? Lucas told Astin to go down to the kitchen in the middle deck and search for any food their mother may have given them. He then went down to Kil to tell him their plan of action. Lucas found Kil in the library, reading one of the few books they had in there. When Lucas got closer, Kil looked up, and the name of the book, <em>Adventures in the Light</em>, was shown. Lucas told him their plan, and Kil smiled. He then said himself a few islands that would be optimal. Lucas acknowledged him, and left Kil be.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>                A few hours later, the smell of hot potatoes, a rich creamy mushroom sauce, and baked bread filled the air. Lucas managed to balance his time between the three, while Kil was setting the table, and Astin was getting ready. Lucas turned the backburner for the sauce off. This ship was spectacular, and although Lucas would have liked to think that it was a huge gift, he was the only son of the second richest family in quite a large town. These ships were easy to afford. But still, all the food, the books, the clothes. This was an adventurers dream. Lucas turned the potatoes stovetop off, and split them onto three plates. He then poured the sauce all over them. Then, taking the bread out of the oven, he cut everyone three slices, and spread butter on them. There. A perfect meal.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>                Kil ate his dinner eagerly, while Astin ate hers more slowly. Lucas was more interested in their reaction to the food instead. He loved to cook a great meal. Kil finished off, and mumbled something through a full mouth. He then swallowed, and ran off; leaving Astin and Lucas alone in the room. They both ate quietly for a few minutes, then Astin spoke up, starting a conversation. They talked for a while, and then Lucas got up to do the dishes. Astin helped, and then they went up above deck. The sun was setting, putting an orange hue over the calm ocean. They sat quietly and just looked out into the sparkling waters.  Lucas realized, he may have thought he loved the place he lived in before; but now that he was out on the open sea, Astin leaning on his shoulder, he had finally found the place where his heart laid. He could even smell it, the smell of adventure. Which smelt oddly like fish…really nearby? Astin noticed the odd smell, and they both looked behind them. There, was a large man who resembled a fish, actually not even resembled. He was a fish…and a man. A fish man!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And for a fish man, he sure looked like he was out to kill…</p>
<p>
<br />
Prompt: 07 <strong>More or less finished!</strong><br />
</p>
<p>Chapter 3</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lucas had to look twice. There was a fishman on board! Why was there a fishman on board? They were heading in the opposite way from fishman territory! He stumbled back, and looked at Astin, who had fallen down on deck, unconscious. Great. He had to now guard a fainted girl and himself from what looked like a killer monster.</p>
<p>The fishman raised his trident in the air, and suddenly words starting to form in Lucas’ head. A message, saying that they were in a sacred territory. Lucas looked back at the fishman, worried. Sacred territory? Lucas spoke back to the fishman in words, questioning how this was sacred. They had been going in the other direction from where the fishmen usually were…The fishman narrowed its eyes, and once again put words into Lucas’ head. All Lucas could get out of it was that it was the “holy land of the water gods”. Lucas furrowed his brow, and spoke one more time, this time saying that they meant no harm, and came in peace. This fishman said nothing, and jumped back into the sea. Lucas breathed a sigh of relief. They might live yet.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He picked up Astin, and lifted her into his arms. Her leather armor made her heavy. Struggling to keep his balance, he gradually made his way down to the bedrooms below deck. Astin needed some rest. Going down the stairs, he propped himself against the wall to shift his weight, preventing him from falling; but as he neared Astin’s room, the ship began to shake violently.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lucas fell onto his back, held down by Astin, who had (unsurprisingly) fallen on top of him. Lucas carefully lifted Astin off himself, laying her on the wooden floor. He needed to see what was happening up on the deck. Standing up, he rushed up the stairs to the wooden door, and attempted to open it. It was stuck firmly. Lucas yelled in surprise, and ran back down the stairs. He rushed towards the library, avoiding tripping over Astin. Bursting in, he yelled at Kil, asking if he knew what was going on. Kil looked back at him and shrugged. He seemed to be engrossed in another book. Lucas groaned, and ran back to Astin. He at least needed to get her to a safe place. Lifting her up once more, he dragged her to her room, placing her on her bed. Lucas smiled, now he believed she was safe.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He ran back to library, asking Kil to help him pry open the door upstairs. Kil nodded, and followed Lucas up to the door. They both tried to pull it open, but to no avail. Kil and Lucas looked at each other is horror. Lucas turned to the door again, and started banging it, yelling to no one in particular to let them out. Kil just stayed quiet, thinking. Then, suddenly, he took off, running towards the kitchen. Lucas, surprised, ran after him. They both ran into the kitchen, and Kil ran towards the stove, and started to look up the vent.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lucas understood his plan now. Through the vent, they could emerge on top of the ship! Kil began to squeeze through the narrow passage, and Lucas followed behind. The further up they got, the more soot seemed to clog up the stove. Lucas wondered if this ship was bought new or used. But there really wasn’t much time to think about it…they reached the top and Kil was the first out. Lucas joined him, and they both gasped in horror.</p>
<div>
<p>They were under the water…deep, under the water.</p>
<p> </p>
</div>
<p>Kil was speechless, for once, and Lucas was just as shocked. They were in the deep sea! And all around them was a city, like some underwater ruins, if they weren’t bustling with activity. Suddenly, a yawn came from behind them, and they both jumped. Looking around, they saw a drowsy Astin, leaning against the mast to stay upright.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>*Note: Story finished here for now, synopsizes for rest.*</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:14px;">Lucas and his party find themselves in the underwater city of Gamp, which has supposedly been there since the beginning of time. After a brief visit, Astin comes down with a disease,  which was the real cause of her earlier fainting. Lucas and Kil leave with Astin, via the superpult, ancient technology…</span>
<br />
Prompt: 08 <strong>"Done"</strong><br />
</p>
<p>Chapter 4 (Synopsis)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Whoosh! Lucas and his crew are pushed upwards in the water at a titanic speed, shooting out of the water like a rocket. They stay at the highest point for a few seconds, and Lucas sees the future in the moon...or does he? They come crashing down to the ground, and Kil has to fix the hull of the ship otherwise they're doomed! Meanwhile Astin has been contracted with a deathly disease which, left uncured, would kill here by the next day. They desperately need to find land...but they have no clue where they are...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yikes. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Luckily, Kil is able to hold the ship together long enough to land on a seemingly deserted island. There, it crashes, Unable to set sail again, they go in search of a doctor for Astin, and some food. They come across an odd house, which can only be assumed to be the house of a witch...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
<br />
Prompt: 09 <strong>Words Unspoken "Done"</strong><br />
</p>
<p>Chapter 5 (Synopsis)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lucas and Kil have come across a witch's house, but they realize that they have no choice on the matter, and go inside seeking the witch's help. The witch, a 300 year old crone, makes a deal with Lucas, that if they find a special herb, not only will they have Astin cured, but the ship will also be repaired. Unable to let go of such a deal, Kil and Lucas set out in search of this herb. While going along, they reach the dense jungle. Armed with his sword, Lucas goes first, fending off giant bugs. Kil, on the other hand, takes the more peaceful approach, setting a sheilding spell over them. They make it through, coming to the cave where the herb is rumoured to be kept. They go inside, fending off the goblins that live there until it is in sight. Kil goes on ahead to take it, but Lucas notices a hidden danger: A pitfall! Too late. Kil falls down what seems like a bottomless abyss. Lucas knows he can't go down to rescue Kil, and grabs the herb, running back at his fastest speed. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>
<br />
Prompt: 10<strong> Loss "Done"</strong><br />
</p>
<p>Chapter 6 (Synopsis)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When he gets back to the Witch's house, Astin is almost dead. Lucas gives the herb to the witch, who is forced to keep her promise. She fixes the ship, and saves Astin; but gives them a dire warning to run as fast as they can from the island. They go quickly, no time to speak about the loss. Kil is gone. When Astin finally hears, she goes below deck, and Lucas is unable to speak to her. He pilots the ship onward, but little does he know that the ship is being directed by an evil being from an unknown place. The evil one sees this band of unhappy heroes as a threat, and decides to land them in the largest, most deadly desert...with no return...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Prompt: 11-20<br />
</p>
<p>Final Synopsis for the story:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Chapters 7-16</p>
<p> </p>
<p>7.Lucas and Astin arrive on the isle of Yel, and decide to camp out for the night at a local inn in the village. In the morning, just as they are about to leave, a monster attacks the village, and Astin decides she needs to defend the people of the town. Lucas doesn't notice that Astin has actually gone to fight this monster until it is too late...Astin has been taken by the monster, into the desert beyond Yel. Lucas follows, scared for the safety of his girlfriend. Lucas catches up to the captor in the middle of the desert, but is surprised to find out that it was a harmless aspiration, that had come to take Astin; and nothing else. They have no knowing of their location, and wander aimlessly in the desert. When all hope seems lost, a shining light from above brings down a cloud, which guides them to an oasis.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>8.After staying a day there, they decide on where to go to get back. Lucas wishes to go a certain way, yet Astin disagrees. Lucas then suggests leaving a long string tied on a tree behind them as they walk, so they can always return. Astin, confused on where the string would come from, decides to wait at the oasis a bit longer. Lucas reveals a string from a tree, a special plant. He sets off into the desert, leaving Astin alone at the oasis. He reaches somewhere...but it isn't Yel. It's a large cave, reminiscent of a temple. Starving and Thirsty, he goes inside the temple. Inside, however, is the presence of evil, as monsters seem to appear out of nowhere! Barely escaping the monsters, he ends up further inside the dungeon that he meant to.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>9<span style="font-size: 14px;">. Stuck in the deepest part of the dungeon, Lucas has to find his way out, but it is hard when there are monsters everywhere! Desperate to get out, he is forced to go further into the maze-like dungeon. Eventually, he reaches the bottom floor, and close the large metal doors behind him. Inside the room is a pillar, and a bowl of water on a pedestal. He goes up to it, and as soon as he puts eyes on it, he can't look away. Inside, he sees a vision...of what seems to be his future. Unable to look away, things keep appearing, and Lucas yells in pain. Then, in a blink, he is returned to the oasis. </span>Surprised<span style="font-size: 14px;">, Astin greets him. Lucas tells her that he now knows the way out...and so they leave back into the desert.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size: 14px;">10. As soon as they reach Yel, they find that actual monsters have come and destroyed the town. People are lying all over the place, many dead. Infuriated, Lucas wants to go find these monsters. Astin advises against it, as they need to survive themselves. They hastefully sail off again, unsure of where to go next. Astin feels she has had her fill of adventure, and Lucas is hallucinating, almost off the deep end. Again, the hand of evil guides them towards another trap. Sucked into a giant whirlpool, Astin thinks it is surely the end. Lucas, freezes, and seems to become a whole different person. He manages to cut through the water, parting it. With another swoop of his sword, they fly off, back into the middle of the sea. </span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size: 14px;">11. They reach land again. Lucas is first off the boat, followed by Astin. </span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size: 14px;">
</span></p>

And I give up. So close.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
No dialogue this time... but I have something up my sleeve too~

It'll have to wait until I get back, but look forward to it.

@საქართველოშიც: No dialogue this time, so focus instead on your description and character interactions.

@NPC: Correct.

Reactions: NPC

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@NPC: Correct.
Err...then I maynot be able to use my third prompt...can I?

valkill101

Alien Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This time I'm putting much more effort into this.
Prompt: 01 Single File

Countless, innumerable hours have passes since the line had formed with everyone eagerly awaiting their
weekly rations. The service vans have been dwindling slowly as the clock ticks away showing no sign that all in
attendance would ever hope to eat this week. He was unconcerned for this fact other than his own families needs,
he was glad that he was the next in line. Soon he wouldn't have to look back at the many hungry faces behind him
leering with menacing, hungry stares.
Their hunger, like jackals waiting for the best opportunity to snatch at the chance to skip ahead, even if it meant
harming others in their wake. He desperately swayed his thoughts to the soldier finishing his handout to the person
ahead of him. Mere moments till he could feed his family, though, he was unaware that the soldiers were pulling back
abruptly, getting into their remaining vans and leaving a very angry mob behind. There was no point now in keeping
the single file for food rations, they were all gone now, or so he believed until he noticed one last pack of ration
unseen by the crowd laying underneath the seat where the soldier once sat.
With the crowd in a frenzy he had no problem crawling underneath the desk to the seat. He grabbed his prize and tucked
it quickly underneath his tattered jacket. With no time to think he crawled out from the desk and ran as quickly as
he could to his family, hoping that he would not get caught by any of the more crazed inhabitants of what used to be
a vast thriving city. One week, till it all had to be done again.
Prompt: 02 Left Behind
Many hours had passed since he regained consciousness. All he could remember was the
last pack of ration he had found and how desperately he tried to get to his family on time before they starved to death.
He was bleeding from the back of his head, so it didn't take long to understand what had happened.
It was getting dark soon, so he slowly collected himself and continued on to where his family was waiting for him, despair
making a mockery of his earlier hopes of seeing his younger sister smile for what seemed like ages. His Mother, slowly dying
from the lack of proper medication, wasn't going to make it much longer. He needed some way to make things right, despite
the world going to hell.
As he made his way towards the building where his family waited, he noticed a very odd thing. No one was around, no dogs
scampering for food, no children being called to get inside or even the adults for that matter. It was too quiet. As he made
his way to the front door of his families home he was not greeted as he usually was by his younger sister. He entered the
building and found the place a mess much more than was normal. Chairs with broken legs and the door to his Mothers' room
was off its hinge. In desperation he frantically searched around for any sign of his loved ones, but was greeted by the only
clue he could find.
It was as he feared, the reason for the sudden silence in the neighborhood, even the reason as to the soldiers abrupt departure
earlier that day. He was unsure as to why he didn't notice it before, posted on the front of their doorstep was an official
notice concerning the prompt evacuation of all citizens and military personnel to a safe haven that was marked on a small
map. But, why was there signs of force used in the evacuation? He had no time to ponder this as he gathered what little
he had left in his home and began his journey to where his family was taken, knowing little of the reasons why he and perhaps
a few others were so quickly left behind.
Prompt: 03 - Desperation
He was running for his life now. Two days out since leaving his home towards an unknown location in hopes that he'd findsome answers, with only a small map to guide him. A pack of feral dogs were in pursuit, perhaps hunger finally giving way to

desperation. He could hear them getting closer, exhaustion and starvation doing more than just slowing him down. He didn't want

his life to end so abruptly, not without finding out whether or not his family was safe.

He noticed a nearby building that was unfortunately fenced in with a rusted lock still hanging over some chains on the gate. It was

too high to climb with barbed wires over the top all around, but he didn't care. He quickly made his way up the fence as the

dogs finally caught up to him, once he reached the top he slowly inched his way around to the other side, but since he was still too

exhausted he lost his footing. With no time to think, he flung himself over the other side and fell feet first to the hard concrete floor.

He was out of breath and losing consciousness fast. Before passing out completely he could vaguely see someone aproaching

him.
Prompt: 04
Prompt: 05
Prompt: 06
Prompt: 07
Prompt: 08
Prompt: 09
Prompt: 10
Prompt: 11
Prompt: 12
Prompt: 13
Prompt: 14
Prompt: 15
Prompt: 16
Prompt: 17
Prompt: 18
Prompt: 19
Prompt: 20

Signora Shishkebab

Mysterious Marmalade Madame
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
By 'speechless', do you mean speech within direct quotes? Because it's possible to write conversationally when using first person. Is the requirement that second or third person is used?

Acezon

Om Nom Nom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I wasn't able to finish my prompts on fables, but this topic's interesting so I'll write again.

Prompt: 01

Prompt: 02

Prompt: 03

Prompt: 04

Prompt: 05

Prompt: 06

Prompt: 07

Prompt: 08

Prompt: 09

Prompt: 10

Prompt: 11

Prompt: 12

Prompt: 13

Prompt: 14

Prompt: 15

Prompt: 16

Prompt: 17

Prompt: 18

Prompt: 19

Prompt: 20

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Err...then I may not be able to use my third prompt...can I?
You could probably tweak it to fit. The first person is fine - it's just the thoughts and any actual dialogue. In the case of your third, maybe something like - I wondered about whether such and such was such and so forth. If so, it would mean the thingy was such and thingy. Or truly challenge yourself and stay away from first-person altogether...

You probably get the idea~

What is this?

A random event, that's what! Every person who takes up this challenge has a chance to win an extra point towards their name. So, if you skipped an event, or just want to be assured of getting that main prize, jump on in! How? Simple! There are two ways to win to do this.

1 - Every 1500+ words you write for a prompt nets you one gold block. The more gold blocks you have at the end, the better your chances of receiving the points.

or

2 - Every 5 prompt feedbacks that are over 300 words will net you a gold block. Again, the more gold blocks you manage to grab at the end, the higher the chances of receiving points.

Gold blocks will only come into play at the end of this months event and it is then that their True Power will be revealed~

So try to gather as many as you can, guys!

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, okay. Thanks! I'll be tweaking the second and third for the Golden Bricks then! :p

Wait-what's a prompt feedback?

T.Bit

Labyrinth Explorer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oooh. How exciting. I'm going to try harder this time around to stay with it. I got hit hard between work and holidays last time. Anyways, Monday I start, since that's my day off.

Prompts:

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Prompt feedback is basically feedback given on others' writing. Each piece (prompt) is one. Feedback being well, feedback? 

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, I love giving feedback....but there seems to be only one other contestant ATM. 

Valkill: All I can say is that I'm already excited to see your next prompt! You portrayed the story without dialogue very well.

Actually, I do have more to say. I understand that 2 was bridging off of 1, but I didn't understand the beginning of the 2nd prompt. 

Everything was a blur, he couldn't remember much about how he fell unconscious

valkill101

Alien Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@NPC, fixed, I hope to be adding two more entries soon, just have to do a little something called finding a job first. I'll likely post later this afternoon.

Prompt 1 was awesome, I liked how you set this poem up. Like a march to utter destruction, so it seems.

Prompt 2 drew me in right away, I felt sad for the boys dilemma and that no amount of plea from the man would help.

Prompt 3 can work just fine if you change the narrative to 3rd person perhaps. All in all it was quite well put together. Can't wait to see what else you

come up with.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Vakill: Thanks. I try not to write poems, but sometimes it's hard to resist. XD 

I was maybe thinking of switching Prompt 3 into third person. I'm still changing it...

Philldevil

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Gold Bricks, I love you so.

English is not my native language, and internal thoughts / dialogues are what I like the most on writing. This will be twice as challenging!

Prompt: 01 - Single File (23 words) (not sure if finished...)

Minimize

alt tab

maximize

crtl f

double click

click

left

down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down

enter

maximize

Empty file, filled with words.

Prompt: 02 - Left Behind

Prompt: 03 - Desperation

Prompt: 04 - Considerate Love

Prompt: 05 - Under the Mistletoe

Prompt: 06 - Where the Heart Lay

Prompt: 07 - Been Here Forever (51 words) (not finished)

Each thing was known to him.

He knew every dark corner like his own body. Every shut window like his eyelids. Every unlit candle like his will to go on. Every furnishing like the words in his mind. And there he lived happily, until that woman broke through the front door.

Prompt: 08 - Over The Moon

Prompt: 09 - Words Unspoken

Prompt: 10 - Loss

Prompt: 11 - In the Middle of Never

Prompt: 12 - Standing Tall

Prompt: 13 - Just Another Step

Prompt: 14 - Killings

Prompt: 15 - A Warrior's Hope

Prompt: 16 - The Always

Prompt: 17 - End of Daylight

Prompt: 18 - Even Demons Love

Prompt: 19 - Stalwart

Prompt: 20 - Kindness in Unexpected Places

I'll try to make bigger ones latter...

Why the spoilers are all buggy?

Anyway, guys. Do you think I should make the 1st prompt bigger?

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They're nice, but I was under the impression that 1500+ was for each prompt...but I don't really know.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you want a gold brick you have to either have a prompt that's 1500+ words (each prompt that is that long gets you a brick) or 5 separate feedbacks over 300 words each (which makes 1500 words).

Either way, lots of writing~

Philldevil

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I know. But writing doesn't ahppen simply like that. I need to develop the concept 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.
currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it
In quarantine, will be tested soon. This year is really something... special.
I was at another orientation yesterday and I realized I'll be working with an old friend! We met at the local water park a few years back and it was so nice to see her again! We had a chat, and next week when I officially start, I'll see if maybe we can trade our Zoom IDs so we can talk!
I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmc1980