failed to compress game data

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by thatguywhoneedshelp!, May 24, 2019.

1. thatguywhoneedshelp!

thatguywhoneedshelp! Veteran Veteran

i dont know whats going on,i have compressed my other 3 games just fine,i've been hearing you need to do it a couple of times,the 12 i forgot the file has to be less then 2GB,so i shrinked it,now it like 1.85gb,so i compressed,it still says the same thing after 3 times,why is thing so annoying???

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    first, which maker are you talking about?
    second, please give the full filepath to where you want to store the result (from drive letter to folder name)
    What in your game needs that many data? What files have you added? Even 10-hour-games that are years in development are usually much smaller

We can't help you if you don't give us the details

3. thatguywhoneedshelp!

vx ace,on my desktop or my 16gb flash drive,i have done it before on my flash drive on my games i make(so i dont loss my data),i added music and pics files,and the music one is the biggest

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that is not what I asked for.
    I asked for the full path to where you store that project, that is something like c:\folder1\folder2 etc.
    There are some specific paths that could cause problems, and some naming conventions as well.

As for your problem, please make another test:
    remove about 90% of your music files (use a copy if you're unsure) and then compress without those music files. Do NOT remove all music files, just most of them.
    does that work?

5. thatguywhoneedshelp!

There is no full path on desktop, its just desktop, I got it working before, it's the same game, I just did some polishing and stuff

6. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker VX Ace. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

7. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The desktop itself is a folder and this is its full path:
    Code:
    C:\Users\<UserName>\Desktop\
    All the more reason to do what @Andar asked you to do. Since computers are deterministic machines, it goes without saying that the way the project is right now is different from how it was before. It does not matter how big (or small) the change you made is, issues might happen even because of a single bit, and there is plenty of examples like that in computer science (just think of what happened to the Ariane 5).

It is impossible for us to know exactly what is happening on your computer, for this reason, when you ask for help, you should provide the highest possible amount of details - if you want to be helped, that is. Tests like that can help people understanding what is currently happening on your machine, and can help them focusing on what appears to be a reasonable cause rather than something that is most likely not causing the issue itself.

In this case, since your project became too big, there is a possibility that the engine is having troubles when trying to compress it. If you manage to get it back to work by removing 90% of the music (but not all of it), it shifts the attention toward the project size; if it still does not work, it means size is unlikely the problem here and attention should be shifted toward something else.

However, as a general rule, when somebody asks you for something, the faster you do what they asked, the sooner you get help to solve your problem. Spending time writing a message that is not helpful to you nor to the one who asked more details is hardly going to bring you anywhere. People here are trying to help you to solve your problem. If you do not take active part in solving it, why would other people bother with it?

With this I do not want to be rude, I just want to give you a piece of advice to help you get help faster, and I am going it because you already replied twice without providing any of the requested information. If something goes wrong with your project is most likely your fault (this does not apply just to you, but to anyone else), if you are not willing to accept the fact that you made a mistake and keep saying things like "it was fine before, I did not change anything of major importance", the problem is not going to solve itself. Just analyze the situation rationally and try to find what went wrong.

Fact 1: the project was working
    Fact 2: you changed something
    Fact 3: the project is no longer working

It looks obvious that something went wrong between Fact 1 and Fact 3, it doesn't matter if you are sure you did nothing wrong, something wrong has happened, and you are the only one with enough power to make that happen. This does not mean you did something wrong on purpose, you could have done something wrong without knowing about it (and I think that this is one of the reasons why Andar asked you to remove part of your music), but something wrong has been done, regardless of the fact that you know about it. So, take a step back and try to understand what went wrong, instead of saying that nothing went wrong, because something went wrong, and that is a fact; the smartest thing you can do is investigate everything and try to understand what caused things to go wrong.

Not only is thinking that nothing went wrong simply denying facts, it is also sterile, because it prevents you from investigating things, and those very things could be the root of the problem. Always keep an open mind, and always remember that you should be the very first person fighting to solve your own problems.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    everything has a path, including the desktop. In more modern version of windows you can check the path by checking the properties of the desktop folder in the libraries, in older windows versions it was a special folder inside the windows folder or the user folders.
    Files can't be stored outside of a directory structure.

and what about my suggestion? did it work?

9. thatguywhoneedshelp!

i did size it down,its the same size as it was before,and everything about is just fine as it is,and all i changed was fixing the maps,and adding music and monster pictures(the mons pics are really tiny)

its not exactly about shrinking the music file down,i have it same file size as it origanlly worked on

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2019
  10. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For test sake, what if you exclude most of your files and try to shrink down the size as small as possible?

If the compression success, then you might have hit the size limit.
    If the compression still failed, then it most likely has something to do with your project itself like the folder permission.

11. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Do you mean that, after reducing your project size, compression works again?

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It doesn't matter what size you have and what size you had it originally.
    There are several reasons why I asked you to test that in a copy just to see if it works.

Do you know how compression works? If you would know that then you would also know why something that worked before with the same size doesn't work any longer after you compressed your files down.

You have TWO compressions competing here, but data compression has a limit. The first compression is what you see on your harddrive, the other is in the editor - there is a reason why that function is called COMPRESS Archive...

If you originally had 2.1 GB data at an compression rate of let's say 80% on your harddrive, the Ace editor would have no problem compressing it again to let's say 95%, dropping its size under the limit.
    If you add more files and then get to the same 2.1 GB by increasing the compression, to let's say 93% on your harddrive, then the second compression will not gain much anymore and the same size that worked previously will no longer work.

and that is just one of several things that could have happened.

So again, please remove 90% of the audio data from a copy of your project and then check if that copy could be successfully compressed or not.
    Otherwise we can't help you anymore - I refuse to help someone who doesn't work with me for solving his problems.

I don't get paid for writing here, it's my own free time I'm currently wasting on you instead of working on my own projects.

Heirukichi likes this.