rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've looked at practically every post that's ever existed of people troubleshooting this error when attempting to deploy ... and I'm at wit's end.

The common fix I saw was the use of special characters or spaces in filenames, and I've combed through my files what feels like twenty times and there are no special characters or spaces in sight. Only letters, numbers, underscores, and square brackets for a plugin.

I cannot deploy to windows (I tried excluding unused files and not excluding, both gave me the error) and I did try to deploy to mac too just the test it out but evidently it didn't work. It seems like something's still wrong with my files.

Is there anything else I have to look for? I can also send a zip file of the project to anyone who would be kind enough to want to look at them themselves.

Thanks!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this error message usualy happens if either the original path or the output path contains characters that are not allowed under networking rules, or are restricted by windows itself.

please post both directories- the full path beginning with drive letter to the project folder.
Then we can check where the error might be.

(and BOTH paths, they can't be identical as deploying into the project folder creates more problems)

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this error message usualy happens if either the original path or the output path contains characters that are not allowed under networking rules, or are restricted by windows itself.

please post both directories- the full path beginning with drive letter to the project folder.
Then we can check where the error might be.

(and BOTH paths, they can't be identical as deploying into the project folder creates more problems)

Sure, is this what you mean?

Project location:
1592516000061.png
Output location:
1592515962828.png

Also, strangely I just tested deploying it again and it gave me a success message(!), but the deployed game was giving me an error (it was looking for a plugin that I deleted) and I went back into the project to just take the plugin out, now I'm getting the failure message again when I try to deploy.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) what is thefilename of the plugin?
2) you cannot delete plugin files as long as they are in use in the plugin manager, you have to remove them from the plugin manager first.

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) what is thefilename of the plugin?
2) you cannot delete plugin files as long as they are in use in the plugin manager, you have to remove them from the plugin manager first.

It was mbs_visualequipment.js and I removed it from the plugin manager as well.
I hadn't used it at all but it had been set to ON and I decided to just remove it since it wasn't used in my project anyway. But I do recall that I deleted the file itself first and then it was still in the plugin manager (what was giving me the error) so I took it out of the plugin manager after.

If I try to play the deployed game this is the error.
1592516739846.png

MightyEgg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Deploy again without the plugin.

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Deploy again without the plugin.
I mentioned in a previous reply that I now deleted and removed the plugin and it's giving me the same "failed to create distribution package" error which was the reason for me making this thread.

MightyEgg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then put again the plugin and deploy at C:\ if breaks again try to turn off the plugin at the manager and deploy it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention run the engine as ADMIN

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then put again the plugin and deploy at C:\ if breaks again try to turn off the plugin at the manager and deploy it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention run the engine as ADMIN
Tried both those things and ran RMMV as admin as well. I got the same error every time, but thanks for trying to help. I honestly don't feel like the issue lies in the plugin but it's strange that it deployed successfully once and then never again.

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is really frustrating me. The project can't even playtest within RMMV now.

1592518682330.png

MightyEgg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you send the zip file to me?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The project can't even playtest within RMMV now.
and the screenshot you gave gives a big hint as to why.

Please go to your project directory. is there a www folder inside your project directory?

If yes, you now know why nothing works. The www folder is deployment only, it must never be inside the project folder. If it is in the project folder, then at sometime in the past you deployed into your project directory - and as I said above the output path and the project path must never be the same.

You now have a damaged project, which is why nothing works anymore.
And you need to repair that damage.

1) make a backup to prevent further damage. if the next steps go wrong you can go back to that backup for another try.
2) make a new project
3) delete the www folder in your project folder
4) copy the packages.json from the new project to your damaged project, overwriting the wrong packages there.

after that, playtesting should be possible again and you should test if that also repaired what prevented your deployment (make sure the output is somewhere else!!!)

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and the screenshot you gave gives a big hint as to why.

Please go to your project directory. is there a www folder inside your project directory?

If yes, you now know why nothing works. The www folder is deployment only, it must never be inside the project folder. If it is in the project folder, then at sometime in the past you deployed into your project directory - and as I said above the output path and the project path must never be the same.

You now have a damaged project, which is why nothing works anymore.
And you need to repair that damage.

1) make a backup to prevent further damage. if the next steps go wrong you can go back to that backup for another try.
2) make a new project
3) delete the www folder in your project folder
4) copy the packages.json from the new project to your damaged project, overwriting the wrong packages there.

after that, playtesting should be possible again and you should test if that also repaired what prevented your deployment (make sure the output is somewhere else!!!)

Thanks! That's what fixed that crash when playtesting, but I still can't get the game to deploy (trying to just deploy it to C: )

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what is your editor version (help - about in the menu) and what is your project core version (go to your projects js folder, open rpg_core.js with a text editor and report the number at the end of the title line).
If there is no number it's 1.0
Please report both numbers, they may or may not be identical

rambamboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what is your editor version (help - about in the menu) and what is your project core version (go to your projects js folder, open rpg_core.js with a text editor and report the number at the end of the title line).
If there is no number it's 1.0
Please report both numbers, they may or may not be identical

Editor version is 1.6.2 and project version is 1.6.2 as well it says.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Maldra, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm glad I'm sticking to my guns on having fighting game mechanics in my game, from what I've read, it's not for everyone. but for the most part, I've made it so you don't have to use them motion inputs for attacks if you don't want to.
And my project's just entered the Lunar New Year Sale 2022... Let's see if it reaches it's goal of $ 7,77.
Ohmygoodness I played Dicey Dungeons for the first time last night. Gave me SO MANY IDEAS for how to fix Heidi.
d757 going live today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flawlesscozy