Failed to load: data/Actors.json

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi guys. Yes, I realize this topic has been done to death on the forum since at least 2015. I've searched extensively and cannot for the life of me find a solution to this that works. So I ask for your patience as you help a girl out.

I'm getting this error:
failure to load.PNG
  • I've exported both to "Web browsers" and to "Windows" to access the www folder. No luck.
  • I've tried opening it in Firefox, since I read Chrome won't work. Still get the error.
  • I'm on Steam, but I checked anyway - I'm up to date on the product version.
I'm at a total loss here. I feel like I must be missing something obvious but I can't find what I'm doing wrong. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. (Heading to bed soon, but I'll be sure to check back asap re: any assistance you can offer.)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If that is what you've done so far, then you've looked at the wrong topics so far. Because those solutions have nothing to do with your problem.

There are only two possibilities that could cause this specific error message.
1) the file has been damaged or deleted
2) the project is stored in the wrong folder

If the file has been damaged, the only thing you can do is to replace it from your last backup. And if you have no backup the only thing to do is replace it with a default file (deleting all your actors) and hope that nothing else in the project was damaged and lost.

So you better hope that it is simply stored in the wrong folder. Since there are too many ways that could have a folder wrong, I suggest that you simply give us the folderpath where you stored your project, something like
"c:\folder1\folder2\folder3\projectfolder".
It is important to show the path beginning with the drive - NOT the path from "this computer" because "this computer" hides part of the true path.
And make sure that there is no www folder inside the project folder - the www folder is for deployment and deployment only, if it is inside your project folder then report it here and we tell you how to repair that.

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Andar, thank you for taking the time to reply! I think I remember seeing some of that, so my bad on not addressing those first. I appreciate your patience, especially since I suspect I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I can open the project and work on it just fine, no errors. This is purely a deployment problem, and now that I've had some time to check, it's happening in other projects too, so I suspect you may be right that something is corrupted, or placed wrong.

My project was originally saved at C:\Users\calli\Documents\RPGMV\Princess for easy access. I am, of course, ready to move it however necessary if that was a mistake. (And no, the www was indeed only from my deployment, which I saved to my desktop and is where I got the error from.)

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the assistance.

EDIT: In the meantime, to continue studying I downloaded one of the free/unencrypted games suggested in the tutorial sections. And, unfortunately, I'm getting the same error when I try to open it in browser. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I thought I'd mention it since that means it's not just my game.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then there are two possible reasons

either it's the path where those games are stored (your desktop path instead of your project path for example), or your browser has been set to high security. Have you tried using Firefox on default settings?

The second cause is because browsers and antivirus programs can have a problem seeing the difference between an external internet-website opening local files, and an internal local HTML-based game opening the local files.
The first is almost always a malware infection while the second is almost always harmless.

But if your security settings are to never open local files from a website, then of course the game will fail to load its data...
The playtest uses an integrated browser that is specifically designed to not have that security block, but on the other hand it can't open regular websites so it doesn't need that security either.

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I've given this a lot of thought and poked around and I'm really not sure where the fault lies.

I moved the files to C:\Users\calli\Documents\RPGMV\Exported Games\Princess and am still having the same error, so I moved on to looking at my browser security. As far as I can tell, it's already to defaults on Firefox. Not only that, but I'm able to open local files from Twine without difficulty which makes me think that it's either not my browser, or at least not entirely my browser.

I'm going to send the files to a friend when they're available later, just to be sure it's not a corrupted file issue (as in, see if they're able to run it) but I really don't know at this point. Thanks for the help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exported Games\
That is a forbidden path to use, because the foldername contains a space - it's between exported and games.
All foldernames and all filenames have to follow networking rules or the browsers will get problems handling them, and that means no spaces allowed (and a lot of other things are forbidden as well).

That is exactly the reason why spaces are replaced with %20 on browser error messages - because the browser cannot handle paths with spaces in them. And the windows override that creates that %20 to pretend to be able to handle them is not usable in many cases, causing exactly those load errors.

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good to know. However, I erased the space, and am still getting the same error I've been getting, though.

I've been poking around a bit... is there some second step, after deploying it? Hosting it somewhere or something? I'd assumed - perhaps falsely? - that you could deploy-and-play with HTML just like Windows. Could it be that sort of issue?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
is there some second step, after deploying it? Could it be that sort of issue?
that is what I meant with the security settings a few posts ago.
If you were to tell the browser that every file were on the web, it would allow access even with the security setting to high. However if you were to manually allow local access then it does not matter if the file is run locally or in a webserver (real or faked).
And by default firefox for example has that restriction off and allows the games to be played, while chrome for example has it on blocks local loading by default and requires the files to be on a webserver to play the game (unless you lower the settings to allow it to play without that).

So if you have a high security setting it will block the game unless you trick it to believing it works on a web

EDIT:
Just to be sure, if you go into the www folder and then locate the actor.json, how large is it? If it's zero bytes it has been damaged, if it is larger it should be OK.

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay so the news of the hour is that it is also not working for my friend - same error. The Actors.json file is 1KB, so it doesn't look like that's the issue there.

I'm sorry that I clearly don't understand what adjustment you're talking about making to Firefox. Can you give me a rundown on where, specifically, to go and what I need to check for? Because I can't find anything that seems relevant to the problem at hand.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know how it is called in english, but if you go into the firefox settings, there should be one option called "data security or something like that. If you go there, it should have three main settings (standard, strong, user defined).
The standard setting is OK for playing the games, but if you go beyond that it might block the game.

if that is already the case, then we need more info on what settings you use during deployment and how you try to start the game afterwards (that means which file you doubleclick to play and so on)

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Sorry for the late reply, life gets busy.) As far as I can tell, all my settings are good. Again, my friend tried it on their computer and got the same error, so I don't think it's a browser issue exactly.

I went digging through the manual again and it looked like maybe I did miss something that hasn't been mentioned yet? It says "You can run your game on a web browser by uploading your exported project folder to a web server."

What, exactly is that and how do I do it? If I can be pointed to a thread that answers this directly, I'd be happy to do that. So sorry for all the trouble.

jablub

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this was the first problem I ran into.
My solution was to run the export via a web server.
You have 2 choices here:
The first is to get some hosted web service and copy the files there. Its a bit more complex but it has the bonus that you can share the game with people.
The second is to run a local web server on your computer and test it out there. This is a lot simpler than a hosted service but is basically the same as when you run the game from rpgmaker.
Give me a shout if you want to try either of these. I am going to give the hosted option a go now.

CallMeKat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I appreciate the reply, jablub! (Sorry for not getting back to you quickly, there's been a lot of life nonsense on this side of the computer screen.)

So, I'm very intrigued about what might be involved in the hosted web server. I'll have to do some research about that. Hosting it myself locally is rather pointless, as I just want my friends to play the game. For now, I'm just exporting it to Windows/Mac depending on who wants to see it. But it's good to know that's what's going on - I apparently just missed a step.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But it's good to know that's what's going on - I apparently just missed a step.
yes and no - that is what I was writing about above.

You only need a webserver (local or not) if your browser security is set to block local file access.
If your browser is set to allow for local file access, then you don't need to go the local webserver route.

You can test it if you want, but if the game loads its file from a webserver then that is proof that your browser has the high security setting that I mentioned above. And if the cause of the failed to load is something else, then using a webserver will NOT help.

jablub

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like Andar said, if the directory structure is incorrect a web server will not help. But if we assume that your game is running fine when you run it from the application, and then you deploy to a new folder, then the deployment should have the right directory structure.

If you want a web server locally installing python is a good idea. It has a very simple webserver call: `python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000`. However, the point of deploying to a public webserver is so that your friends can try out your game.

I ended up looking at a few options for web site hosting but never got far there because I decided the easiest for me would be using github pages. Git is a source control system but you can also use it as a "backup" of sorts, and as it turns out, it is also a useful way of transferring files. And github has a web server feature called "github pages". If you would like to go that route, create a github account for yourself and let me know and we can go through the steps you need to take. Otherwise, if you would like to use a "free web hosting" service, let me know which one you choose and I can test it out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I posted a funny gag reel of Drifty's video's here, but realized it was probably too riskay, so I deleted it, oops, lol.
Another room (actually other half of previous room)
What should I focus on today?

Character Portraits?
OR
Mapping?
Alright, I think I've got tired of VXAce. I guess I will jump to MV.
Just had a stranger SPRINT away from me in the grocery store. Talk about overreaction...
...I don't think I'm that ugly! ^-^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrogScholar