Fake or real dev site?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Amane Kagari, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Agreed. If you're using someone's resources (even if you were given permission to distribute your edits, which isn't super common from what I've seen), you can't just decide to sell your edits when their original resources were free. It's especially egregious when someone's selling edits that are 90% the original person's work.

atoms likes this.
  2. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    https://www.quora.com/Can-a-programming-code-be-copyrighted:
    In the United States and many other countries, programming code with at least a minimal amount of original authorship is automatically granted copyright protection, which means that no one can legally copy it, distribute it, publish it, or make derivative works from it without the owner’s permission. You may also register programming code with the United States Copyright Office, which will grant you additional benefits should you sue someone for copyright infringement.

atoms, Marquise* and Tea's Jams like this.
  3. Sleepy Kitten Games

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I think I've heard that's true with a lot of creative works. By creating something you're automatically given some copyright protection, just by virtue of having created something.

4. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In light of the information uncovered today about the website Foundat.io Drifty from Driftwood Gaming has requested that the interview they posted with him on their site be removed.

He does not want to endorse a site/company that doesn't take plagiarism seriously.

Their response was underwhelming when it should have been decisive.

Lorenze, Studio Blue, atoms and 10 others like this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @GameFire : Right. Which is why I've never posted my edited version of Yanfly's scripts, as the edits were to either make it work with a script I wrote for my game (mainly the pop-ups, as I needed the pop-ups to handle some other cases), or to add or remove one feature from the script (for example, I added code to Yanfly's ACE System Options to add a mouse on/off option). And when it came to removing items I did that just by putting a # in front of the code to comment it out in case I changed my mind later, or learned my removing that line crashed something.

In fact, in the case where I removed a line or two you could say the code is still 100% Yanfly's, I'm just using less of it :).

Studio Blue and atoms like this.
  6. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Yanfly, you should talk to @Ækashics
    • When using my resources (both in free and commercial games), please credit me as Ækashics and link back to this website. (I do not know they did that)
    • If you’re using my graphics in a commercial game, a free copy would be nice !ヽ(〃・ω・)ノ (I pretty sure Ækashics didn't know this.)
    I could not imagine if Ækashics revoked the right to use her characters and battlers from https://gamestudio.musubiapp.com/. Their store would go out of business because they used her assets a lot. :kaopride:

I like to fill the flame if no actions are taken:
    According to https://www.fiverr.com/alexxisaaps/...f_ctx_id=d5577a4a-ebb9-44d9-bd52-0adeffeb6f98

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Can you make plugins/scripts for the game?
    Yes, we can create unique plugins for your game (These have an extra cost). We can also use third-party plugins/scripts adding the corresponding credits.

Will I (the developer) have the rights of the game?
    No, I (the developer) will not have any commercial right on the product. However, I MUST appear in the credits as the main developer (unless I am not the only one). If you do not want me appearing on the credits, you MUST purchase the ghost develop extra!

Foundat.io. is rich about protecting INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:
    Remember that the capabilities of exploiting your intellectual property come with a number of games you have created and which you own.
    https://www.foundat.io/n/making-money-as-game-developer/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Studio Blue, atoms and Yanfly like this.
  7. Sleepy Kitten Games

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah. And even if they say "feel free to distribute your edits", 9 times out of 10 it comes with a "but give credit to me, the original creator" (and that 1 time out of 10 still says they'd appreciate being credited).
    Jeez. Is there anyone they haven't stolen from or used resources from without crediting? Did they just Google "rpg maker mv resources" and steal the first several results they could find?
    I think for me the worst thing is them plagiarizing free resources and selling them. Like, not only is it plagiarism (already bad), but they're trying to sell something that was free from the original creator. They're trying to profit off something the original creator chose not to monetize.
    Also, seriously? They offer (as a paid service) just outright making a game for someone? What's even the point of developing a game if you're just going to pay someone to do it for you? Just... what??

Marquise* and atoms like this.
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Yanfly Please if you do not signal it to the place they posted in they will consider you consented. Also it might help everyone if there is enough strikes if it is an habit of that user to have more proofs in the balance to revoke their posting rights and/or remove the offending/onerous stuff!

atoms likes this.
  9. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have taken the liberty of going on all 8 of Foundation's YouTube videos & posting a link to part 3 of Yanfly's article on Yanfly.moe. This should help alert anyone watching their YT vids that these scumbags don't deserve likes on their vids or subscribers (all 20 of them!)

10. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Prior to the three posts Yanfly had to post (and, oh yes, it needed to be said), we have an entire page of: New free yanfly plugins, the official rollout of the RPGMaker Discord, Tyler Warren opening up a Patreaon, new paid plugins by Irina, updated plugins by yanfly, yanfly now accepting donations through itch.io, new games, new plugins for sale by olivia, and new free graphics by Aekashics. I looked at this flow of selflessness, and can only think, "How dare Foundatio/n interrupt all of this good will?"

11. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Animebryan I can't see dem comments. Have they been deleted by the owner of the channel?

Marquise* and atoms like this.
  12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    *sigh*

"If you want to change the x and y position of a window, there's only one way to do it"

Well, no, actually there are several ways to do it. I can think of at least 3 completely different methods without trying too hard at all, and there would be no chance someone would say one copied from another.

And a region restrictions plugin or an 8dir movement plugin are much, much more complicated than changing an x and y position of a window and two plugins that do one of those things should look hardly alike if written from scratch.

I've done a Remember Event Positions plugin, and a Clone Event plugin (or maybe some of these are Ace scripts), and a More Character Frames plugin. Yanfly has done some of these, and I think Galv has as well, among others. Grab those and compare them, to see just how different plugins that do the same thing really do look when written from scratch. The only thing done "from scratch" here was creating a new file and adding their template. After that it was just a matter of copy/paste, and a global replace of a few choice function names.

You can't get similarities in a plugin like those shown by writing them from scratch.

However, both parties now have make it very clear where they stand on the issue. No more benefits of the doubt to either of them.

definite_lee, Archeia, atoms and 2 others like this.
  13. Galv

Galv Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wowzers - I wouldn't have known anything was amiss if I hadn't been @ mentioned here.
    I must say, this community is truly awesome to be defending the hard work of the creators that share their work with everyone. A big thanks to everyone and especially Yanfly for being vanguard against the culprits and sticking up for us so fiercely.

Elliott404, Low, Usaku-chan and 16 others like this.
  14. Johnboy

Johnboy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just browsing through the plugins they have "Listed" I can tell with 100% certainty that their "Day/Night Pro" plugin is 100% stolen from Moghunter. I mean, they even left all the options in the plugin manager in the exact same order with the exact same default options. This is some really low behaviour on both parties involved in this (the "dev" and the seller). I'll do my part and steer everyone I can away from these people.

Edit: this guy is so dumb, he even shows all the same settings in his plugin video for day/night pro on youtube with all the defaults from Moghunter. All in the exact same order, with the exact same tint settings and hours for each time of day.

15. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg If you look at there playlist, you'll see they now have set all videos to private, except one video related to a 2D Spaceship game on there channel. I wonder if they also stole that? Private videos playlist link https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLYL1cTsYHmRc53414cJ0jd4rXoP-tkfk

Since they set them to private, instead of deleting them, I decided to take a screenshot.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, good thing this has all come out in the open on the official RPG Maker forum, as well as Yanfly's blog and other places. Hopefully that will be enough to stop them making much business with all this thievery they do. Unless they change and get rid of all content they have stolen, which is very unlikely based on there attitude and responses so far, it all really needs to go.

16. Studio Blue

Studio Blue Studio Blue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's 100% true (in the US) with written works--such as novels, short stories, and screenplays.

atoms likes this.
  17. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    A little late to the party but I'm glad I got wind of this. :kaoback:

Plagiarism is something this community does not need. We've had bad actors before and it always hurts everyone, the whole community. I still remember talking to someone who had to spend a lot of time remapping their entire game after the "Kaus Tileset Incident". It makes people angry, tired and frustrated and this community can't really afford to lose any more talented creators.

I'm going to say what most of us here already know, which is that those content creators who's allowing their work to be used for free are heroes ( just like Harold ) that needs to be treasured. The reason I'm repeating this is because there's bound to be at least a few young people around here, who may be thankful for the "free stuff", but not really aware of how much of a sacrifice those who made that free stuff is actually making.

Money. We all need money. Most adults, even if we have stable jobs, barely make enough. We have bills to pay and families to provide for. Not to mention that most of us are swimming in student debt and/or mortgage. And if there's anything left we need to save for our pensions (and a billion other things). It's the reality of being a grown-up.
    Yet there are those who choose to give away their stuff for free. Stuff that are of a professional quality and easily could have sold. Often you're even allowed to make commercial products without paying any license fees or royalties for this stuff. Not many people would make that choice. Most would ask for money (which is a more than reasonable request).

Now those who try to exploit this extreme generosity needs to be set straight, and I'm glad to see that the community is coming together to do just that. And with everyone help, the awareness of this incident will spread so that even those who may not check in on RMW every day or read Yanfly's blog gets the information in time (sooner rather than later, hopefully).

Elliott404, Marquise*, Shaz and 3 others like this.
  18. ciruscat

ciruscat Warper Member

First Language:
    English
  19. DarkHunter

DarkHunter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your information. As expected, i suspect this "Foundation" as called "crimes of stolen (code from original plugin) "
    Please avoid from this crime or thief. (For example : Foundation, Kauz and Soulpour777)

I'm bad english if you understand this as pleased :)

:VXA4: :95:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    atoms likes this.
  20. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I sent out an alert linking @Yanfly 's third blog post (since it included the links to 1 & 2) on our official social media.

Thank you Yanfly and everyone else who dug into this, the respect for resource creators is a huge part of a strong RPG Maker Community to me.

Marquise*, Studio Blue, Galv and 5 others like this.