Fallout/Skyrim-style Chest System?

The A-ster

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I was playing Fallout 4 with my girlfriend earlier today and had an idea that I hadn't had in awhile. I have been wanting to make a system in my game similar to the looting system in Bethesda games. Being able to pick up and store items and weapons and armor and the like inside of different containers. I was starting to come up with ideas on how I could do this, but I have NO idea where to begin with the coding and scripting for this kind of mechanic! Does anyone think they can help me? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! :)

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use waynee95's Storage System plugin for making storage containers and such.

JDevain

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never cared for the built-in inventory system at all. It seems very difficult for plugin developers to get around all the awkward hard-coded stuff, and make something elegant.

You could do this through eventing. I uploaded a demo here you can check out. This is a VERY simple version I whipped up, but it's enough you should get the idea and be able to expand on it, if you want. I realize that this demo is about as clumsy as the built-in system, but if you used something like Yanfly's Picture Common Events plugin along with it, you could make a nice graphical (and clickable) UI, rather than using the "show choices" options.

Anyway, hope this helps.

FiercestPixel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're most definitely going to want to go with this sweet plugin combo.

Mr. Trivial's "Limited Inventory" and PrimeHover's "PH Warehouse". With these two active, I'm able to set the item amount cap limit of the player. When they need more inventory space they are later able to unload their loot into a storage container (with a limit you can set). There will also be a TON of database work for you to do (depending on your item count) but I think the new dynamic of making the player decide what to bring with them on there quest and what to leave behind is well worth the hours you will be spending getting everything set up juust right. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone know/remember Mummy's Tomb / Crystals of Zong for C64? Trying to recreate it for One Map Challenge. Fun. And ... er ... challenging!

Listen.. I er... caught the live stream. :LZSwink:
The MZ first look stream was quite good. Looks like we get a lot of generator parts right off the bat this time around. Lots of cool clothes, helmets, facial marks, etc. Looking forward to playing around with it. :)
Any tips on how to share resources in here? Should I upload them in a image hosting site or Google Drive?
That moment when you realize your game size without the sound is 51.1 MB.... But with it (unoptimized as it is) it's 156 MB.... I guess it's time to do a bit of sound optimizing. :kaoswt: Also I learned that deployed for Windows it's 308MB... Apparently MV adds a pretty hefty helping of stuff on deployment. :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BaileyJayC2000