Fancy & the Fox

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by IamDes, Jun 12, 2014.

1. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]

The town has lost it's sacred orbs, people are disappearing in the forests and the Spirits have become hostile. Fancy is thrown into recovering the orbs after discovering one in the forest along with an unlikely companion, a Fox. You must search for the remaining lost orbs, hidden items, and bring balance back to the area. 

Enjoy the experience of a silent film as you play through an interactive world filled with comedic characters and dialogue all to the sound of a compelling soundtrack. You'll have a smile on your face within the first two minutes playing.

​
    [​IMG]

Fancy

The young beauty grew up in town all her life. Things were going great until two months ago when the town's sacred orbs were stolen. Her fiance, Isaac, went in search of the orbs shortly after but has never returned. Fancy lives with her Mum now and helps around town where she can.

Mr. Emerson

A scholar since early age, Walt Emerson seeks to learn everything he can about the world. His efforts are currently engaged in finding out what happened to the sacred orbs and how to get them back.

Stewart & Sheila Stockton

Husband and wife who run the town's little shop. Their supply shipments have become ever more delayed since the Spirits have become aggressive in the forests. They keep their shop open still, trying to supply the town as best they can. 

Flynn

Son of Stewart and Sheila, Flynn is eager to learn and adventure. Always getting into places where he shouldn't, he is a loving kid at heart.
    [​IMG]

• Fully interactive world to explore.
    • Compelling and moving soundtrack similar to a silent film.
    • Story driven game focusing on characters. Light and comedic dialogue.
    • Items bring depth to story and explanations.
    • Multiple endings depending on which items you've collected/found.
     ​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
    CREDITS

Fancy and the Fox

Copyright© 2014 Luke Tripp

Full credits to accompany game. 

All resources are permitted for commercial use through license or written permission from creator.

Created by: Luke Tripp

Music by: Kevin MacLeod of incompetech.com

All songs licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Illustration: Farrin N. Abbot of CopyCatFilms and Antare (http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=13045)

Characters by: Sithjester (http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/rpgxp.php)

Additional Characters created with Game Character Hub

Tilesets: [Copyright]© 2012-2014 DEGICA Co., LT; Enterbrain, INC;

Artists:

- Lunarea

- Celianna

- Sherman3D

- VexedEnigma

- RavenTDA

Additional Fonts by: Jeff Bell of boltonbros.com 2001 and BoltCutterDesign

Scripting by: Yanfly (http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/)

Menu Skin by: ItaHoly (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/27857-itaholys-40-windowskins-plus-window-generator-parts/)

Quality Testing: Jared Turner and Alyssa Baccus
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
    Silvestre and Galenmereth like this.
  2. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is a very interesting concept - a Fantasy game presented like a silent film. Very neat :)

3. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @PVGames: I was thinking of a way to impress without requiring amazing resources and a silent film experience fit the bill. Thought of that idea while in the shower :p

My game is officially complete! All that's left for the following week is polishing and getting rid of bugs. I updated the original post with TWO new videos. One previewing how you meet the Fox, and the other from early in the game as you find items in your house! Wish I could get better recorded video but it will do for giving you a sampler :)

This project has been crazy! It'll be great to finally have all of it done!

4. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This concept is very interesting, but from the previews it looks like it's neither totally silent nor totally black and white. Maybe there's a reason for this that's explained in-game? Either way, interesting concept and I wish you all the best for the contest.

5. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah it was early in development that I decided there needed to be sounds. If you're item hunting, or going through doors and it's all silent, the game play felt unresponsive and boring. So I went for some sound effects but tried lowering the volume a lot. (I still have to fix the doors/transfers as seen in the videos).

As for the color. That's been up in the air since the beginning. I started with all Black and white. Stuck with what I have now through the rest of development. Now going to try starting black and white, and color is added to the world as you collect orbs. I think that'll probably be the final release, will have to test it a little. Thanks!

6. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The final release of Fancy and the Fox is now available to play!!

Check it out!! Let me know what you all think :)

7. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    So I played your game, and it's very nice. I liked the atmosphere the most. It's pretty short though, which is kind of sad. The searching element was nice and I wish there had been more content and stuff to do. I liked the story though it ended pretty fast.

Some things I noticed:

• Please change Flynn's sprite! His sprite does not fit as a child sprite at all. There are child sprites in XP RTP you could use, Sithjester has some, as do I.
    • Flynn says "Did you want to hear them?" instead of "Do you.."
    • Fancy's mother walking animation is off outside. With that I mean, that her walking pose is her resting pose.
    • There's no sound effect when you read the warning board.
    • You still have the recipe and sugar even after the pies are baked.
    • You use some of the emote balloons wrong/different. For example, the sweatdrop as a tear, it's strange and took me a while before I noticed it was supposed to be a tear. Though the one that confused me most of all is the "angry" bubble you use when picking berries. I kept thinking there were no berries to be found, until she talked about them!

IamDes likes this.
  8. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for checking it out slimmmeiske2! I'm glad you enjoyed playing it!

I'll take a look at those things you listed. The balloon icons I would change if I could, maybe I'll look for some more, but I worked with what I had. I'll definitely take a look and fix a few of those other problems!! Thanks again for playing!

9. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Neat idea (silent film style)

+Decent presentation.

+The music (I think it was only one track?) was fun and suited the silent movie style.

+You seem to have a solid grasp on eventing/movement, so cutscenes were not still.

-Please for the love of all that’s holy allow dashing.

-Sprite styles (XP and VX) clash.

-Mapping needs work: mapping errors and clashing tiles.

-While the writing itself isn’t bad, it’s not interesting enough to break the “light text” silent movie style. It feels like there’s TOO MUCH talking where the charm would be for it to be silent and very brief.

-Game objective ultimately seems too pointless to retain the player’s attention.

To the developer: The idea is good, the execution is okay…but the lack of conflict and clear objectives really hurts it. With a clearer objective and adding in some actual conflicts/gameplay elements (even simple puzzles or exploration would do) it would be a nice little game, but as it is it’s just not very interesting.

10. IamDes

IamDes Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for checking out my game Indrah and your video playthrough. It was interesting watching you try out certain things and wanting others. I appreciate it!

11. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain Veteran

First Language:
    English?
    I just wonder how the game works. So I'll play this on this week. I like the idea of you game and want to provide some suggestions to make a game more creative. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  12. kartersaint

kartersaint Ornate Brain Veteran

First Language:
    English?
    Um... it would be better set your game's background as modern time. Traditional fantasy with film style? You need to realllllllllllllllly work harder to do this or there's a easy way to work just I wrote ↑. lol.

And your game does not work with RPG Maker engine well. Perhaps it'd be work greatly if the game is not typical top-view, but side-scrolling. 

However, you can make a side-scrolling game with RPG Maker. I've seen a lot about that. Make the characters bigger, and be creative as your best. 

The game's idea is probably promising, but the idea can't top everything. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  13. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been eying this. I really want to play it. I could use a pick-me-up. It looks good!

Edit: I got the bad ending.  My heart cried.  I love foxes... ;~;

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015