Fantasy world you'd like to see more of

kairi_key

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
Recently, I've been watching a lot of Avatar: The last Airbender youtube video and its inspired location. I, then, am reminded of some interview about FFX that the dev kinda wanna introduce a fantasy world that is not limited to poppy medieval europe that we've come to expected from RPG.

It got me thinking...
What kind of setting for a fantasy world that you'd like to see more of?
Or what kind of setting that you wanna see done?

Tbh, I'm still not tired of steampunk and ecopunk, lol.
Tho, I kinda wanna see some modern city fantasy, but focus on places like second-handed shops, antique shops, crowded back alley stuffs where secret magic club thrive underneath.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think a Thai fantasy world would be unique like the Avatar animes, now the setting is not in a poppy medieval Europe. Anymore. Seriously, there are not many games that create an environment of mythologies of the South East Asia world. People here are really open mind and will to open to new possibilities.

You can make a horror RPG game if you want. There are a lot of ghost stories in the region.

Papa-Beercheese

Diggy diggy my trench, trench.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps not the most original idea, but I like to see fantasy elements added to an early-modern civilization. Technology was improving by leaps and bounds during the war years and science was steadily becoming more accepted by the general public. I can imagine a world where magic was once plentiful and/or worshiped, but has declined sharply over years of technological and scientific advances. Magic is an antiquated practice and largely forgotten except by the few groups who preserve these ancient practices. Could make for an interesting story; the hero is blessed by an ancient goddess to stop the villain and his legions of technologically advanced cronies. Magic vs. science, so to speak.

A setting I really want to see be done in a fantasy RPG would be a culture that is not European or Asian inspired. Africa, Indigenous Americans, pre-Colombian South America, and so on. Can't recall ever seeing anything like that in recent years, but its a tempting idea.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to see more Jadepunk (kinda like steam punk in Asia), and more fantasy settings that aren't stuck in medieval Europe. I'd like to see more settings mixing magic, or magic like things, in with more modern or sci-fi elements too. Oh, and some more fantastical\alien settings as well.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger, I like to see more games that do not have bugs.:guffaw:

Tho, I kinda wanna see some modern city fantasy, but focus on places like second-handed shops, antique shops, crowded back alley stuffs where secret magic club thrive underneath.
I see a lot of futuristic and alien space rpg games. But the current modern fantasy, it is going really close to home and dev will have a political fun time with players of what your social commentary.

Last edited:

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NoahB, you are right :guffaw:, but something else? You see my point, less competition.:guffaw:
"It set in the fantasy world of Spira, a setting influenced by the South Pacific, Thailand, and Japan."

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, I feel sorry for the people of Thailand if they have to deal with Sin wrecking up the place on a daily basis. :p

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oceanic/Underwater worlds or a Vast Underground world. (Thinking of Journey to the Center of the Earth stuff here) Not so much narrow caves as it would be a giant grotto with cities and people living in them.

Gomisan

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Eng
Primarily Uses
N/A
Suikoden saga. I love the game especially the second chapter on psx

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to see a colourful science fiction setting. Part of what draws me to fantasy settings is that they tend to be colourful (except the gritty ones...), while science fiction is like almost always lots of greys, blacks and various shades of cold colours. It would be cool to see a science fiction setting that doesn't shy away from using a bunch of warmer colours.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would die for something Anime Isekai-type, more-less like in "The Rise Of The Shield Hero", "How To NOT Summon Demon Lord" or "The Hero Is Overpowered But Overly Cautious" or "Konosuba"

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Already trying to make it so, but... something less *Western* European, but more Eastern European and Mediterranean. Glory of Heracles was fun because of its revisionist Greek myth vibes, heheh.

Worldbuilding aside, I'm trying to give a more Byzantine Empire feel to my game world. Greek, with shades of Egyptian for my lion-girl MC's culture and upbringing, and the potential for Persian and Kievan Rus (proto-Slavic) stuff going forward.

Otherwise, have considered a fanciful Weird West game. Likely in the future of my Byzantine fantasy world, drawing inspiration from Tom Sawyer, Deadlands, Sherlock Holmes and even some gothic horror elements.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

7DcJlIG.png

Made a lot of progress on the tileset for the more sumptuous interior areas for the priory
I keep thinking up of new changes or improvements... Edit: Forgot to add the image Gimpwork.JPG
Hello, my nickname is Rigomor, but I am also known as Mopsikus. I work on RPG Maker games, and are currently working on a game called Peony of War.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Varlen