TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I've been getting PM'd to death about this, so I thought I should post and answer all questions here.

Yes, I am still working on this, but since the debacle last time with someone trying to claim it as their own I've decided to do most of the heavy work and testing alone.

No, just because I'm taking commissions I'm not a "Greedy pig" to quote the nice person who called me that (Really went to town on farm insults), who plans to sell this. It's going to be free.

Why does it take it so long to make something like this?

Well, the engine itself is not really that hard to make, it's basically just a single variable which holds new event types. It's the settings which are the big problem.

Which is why I've rebuilt it from the ground up with event commands in mind.

To show the difference between them, here is the code settings for a single crop with just one season set.

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Carrot
# Months:
#	 N/A
# Seasons:
#	 Spring and Summer
# Description:
#	 Testing Crop (Other information should be added here)
# Notes :
# None. (Information like whether or not it's renewable)
# Crop Name
:carrot => {
	 # Crop Basic Settings
	 :graphic_name => "Carrot Crop",
	 # Max Stages on the Crop
	 :max_stages	 => 4,
	 # Stage to Return if the crop can be harvested multiple times
	 :return_stage => nil,

# Harvested Item ID
	 :harvest_item_id => 1,
	 # Harvested Item Quantity
	 :harvest_quantity => 1,

# Months the Crop Can grown on
	 :plantable_months => [],
	 # Seasons the Crop Can grown on
	 :plantable_seasons => [:spring],	

# Withering Level (Negative value)
	 :wither_level => -5,
	 # Withered Crop Graphic Name
	 :wither_graphic_name => "Withered Crop",
	 # Crop Month Settings
	 :month_settings => {},

# Crop Seasons Settings [Requirements for growth]
	 :season_settings => {
	 # Spring Settings Start
	 :spring => {
		 :stage_1 => {
		 :sheet_index => 0, :passable => true, :water_level => 4,
		 :nutrient_level => 1, :stage_day_age => 4, :level => 2,
		 :water_consumption => 1,		
		 },
		 :stage_2 => {
		 :sheet_index => 1, :passable => true, :water_level => 4,
		 :nutrient_level => 1, :stage_day_age => 2, :level => 3},		
		 :stage_3 => {
		 :sheet_index => 2, :passable => false, :water_level => 4,
		 :nutrient_level => 1, :stage_day_age => 1, :level => 5},
		 :stage_4 => {
		 :sheet_index => 3, :passable => false, :wither_level => 3},
	 }, # Spring Settings End
	 :summer => {},
	 :autumn => {},
	 :winter => {},
	 }, # Crop Season Settings End
}, # Crop Settings End
(Terrible mess to keep track of)

Now the engine works by allowing you to set an event as a base and giving it special "checks" which allow you to interact with it in new ways.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QYVjD.png[/IMG]

This way you have a single event to keep track of which acts as a base for all crops of that type. This way does require a bit scripting knowledge which is what I'm working on at the moment.

For example to make a "Water can" common event I used this code.

Code:
# Condition Checks
c = [:water_check]
# Check for Farm Events in Front of player
farm_events_in_front.each {|e|
# Process Event Condition Checks
process_event_conditions_checks(e, c)
}
Also with this engine it may be possible to make crops which are constantly active, which means that they could grow and wither on personal timers instead of at the end of the day. This also means that there cannot be as many events as with the other script heavy version.

Also unlike before I'll be posting a demo soon, so everyone can test and go at it and make their own crops (I suck at eventing so I have no idea about what tools to make). I'll be using those crops to fine tune the engine and improve the demo. Also please don't use the contents of that demo to try and build your own game... I used to think would not need to be said, but I've learned otherwise.

I hope that answers enough questions.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I don't know what exactly happend but if you should decide that want someone for testing, send me a PM.

Sounds fun to dig through something as big as that.

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You reckon there'll be a demo soon? ;D
I done reckon there is! Right now!

https://dl.dropbox.c...Farm Engine.exe

Very simple demo, but it should demonstrate how crops will now work. Please note that my whole approach to this thing is from a programmers side, I honestly could not event my way out of a paper bag to save my own life. And that is where you come in! Test it out and let me know what you understand and what you don't. (Don't bother if you're not a serious eventer or have no idea how to work with complex events, I will not spend my spare time trying to dumb this down for that one person who doesn't want to put the work to learn how to use events properly)

I don't know what exactly happend but if you should decide that want someone for testing, send me a PM.

Sounds fun to dig through something as big as that.
This time everyone is going to be free to mess with it and the more people that do the faster we can finish this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SolarGale

Learning
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You reckon there'll be a demo soon? ;D
Haha, that demo did arrive pretty quickly :3

Joking aside though, I'll definitely try this out, really sounds like an incredible script that will greatly add functionality to people's farm games. I'm pretty it'll be amazing, so I'll let you know if I find something difficult to understand or bugs (if any).

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for posting, I was beginning to worry about not being able to update due to double posting.

And here is an updated demo:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61337936/Farm%20Engine/TDS%20Farm%20Engine.exe

- It includes 2 crops (Carrots, Onions). The crops differ a lot internally, so people who make events can see the difference when making them.

- It now has a simple tool hud, just press Q or W on the map to switch tools. I was hoping for suggestion on the design, but not a lot of people are posting.

Also, if people are interested in this engine, then post more about it. I'm making this so people can make their own farm games, so if it's just me designing it for myself most people might not like when it's further down in development and harder to change.

mary674

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I can't thank you enough for making this! :D

I can't wait to test the second demo when I get home.

Regarding the first one, I noticed that if I water the crops when they are fully grown and I change the day, they still are watered. That's all. :)

Again, thank you, it's really appreciated and I have been looking for something like this for a long long time, and so have a lot of people.

Edit: If you're looking for any input, you can always ask me.

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, thank you for testing it.

If you want to keep helping, just keep testing it and voice your opinions about what you understand and what you don't and how you feel it would be easier to do. Try making your own crops if possible and tell me what you think would help you when making them. This is critical since I want people to be able to make their own crops and livestock and if I just do it by myself I'll have no idea what kind of variables and methods people want for their crops.

Also if there is anything in the demo you think can be improved (NPC's, Dialogue, Maps, etc) that you feel you can contribute on, go ahead. I'm not very good at creating demos or examples, so if someone can do it better it would be a great help to showcase the features.

And once again, thank you for giving it a go. It's a great morale booster when people post.

HamPants

Ayyy!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a rather nice system. I love that you use a giant testing demon!

And TDS, you know you rock. You're awesome. Anyone with an issue with you taking paid commissions can just piss right off, as far as I'm concerned.

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@HamPants: Thanks, I understand a bit why some people would think this engine would be for sale, but in the end it would be a terrible idea to sell it, since it requires a lot of input to be of any use.

And here's an updated demo.

https://dl.dropbox.c...Farm Engine.exe

Updates:

- Overall improvement to the code

- Added a method to add and remove extra crops on maps.

- Added method to find farm methods around the player. (Seeds now are planted in the familiar harvest moon way around the player)

- Added "Auto Handling" for end of day processing.

To clarify about "Auto Handling", it's basically a more user friendly way to handle the end of day processing.

Using comments on crops now allows you to set the settings of the end of day processing of a crop:

Here is an example:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qh7Nf.png[/IMG]

It basically does everything on the right automatically. It's still possible to do it the old way for more complex crops. But this new allows people to make simple crops without having

to use a lot of event commands and script calls.

Any comments and suggestions from those testing the demos are welcome and needed since I'm getting to the point where I'm running out of ideas and if nothing pops up I'll just

probably start working on something else.

And many thanks to all the people who have been testing it.

Have a nice day.

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That I will. I will certainly have a nice day. Lol.

But seriously now, This update is pretty nice.

mary674

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
This is great, I love it. Haven't gotten around to testing the scripting part (making crops, etc) but I have a lot of questions/suggestions.

1- Will there be a way to upgrade the tools (a better watering can for example would water a bigger area).?

2- Will there be a stamina system (with a stamina bar)?

3- Will there be re-growing crops? As in a crop would regrow a few days after being harvested, if watered properly.

4- Will the crops wilt if not watered daily, after a couple of days?

5- Will you still do the livestock?

That's all I can think of right now. A big thank you! :D

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nearly everything you've asked can be done with events right now.

1- Just change the equipment and add a conditional with the desired settings to the common event.

2- A stamina system can be handled by an in game variable, as for a stamina bar. It really depends if people want it or not, so far no one has suggested any designs for HUD's, so I assume most people would take care of that themselves.

3- That can already be done with the current crop system, I will make an example for it soon.

4- This is also already possible to do with the current crop system, I jut forgot to add it... It should be easy to finish though.

5- Yes, there will be a specific class for livestock, I'm just mostly researching the variables most people would use like Age, Love, etc.

And thank you for your suggestions, let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions or if you want things clarified.

mary674

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
A customisable HUD would be nice (I don't know how do to a stamina bar by myself yet), but I can probably dig around and teach myself.

A simple tutorial to use your system once it's done would be really helpful. I haven't gotten around to digging in the events yet though (school just started).

What else... will we be able to carry items around and maybe give them to npcs and possibly rise their friendship level (like in harvest moon)? I realise this isn't part of a farming system though,

I just want to make suggestions, I don't want you to have too much work. :)

Thanks for the answers!

Edit:

More ideas:

A rucksack system would be nice where you could only store a certain amount of items (could be weight based).

And some other form of storage could be nice, like a fridge and cabinet.

TDS

- T D S -
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll see what I can do about those suggestions.

As for a tutorial, that is probably going to be harder than making the scripts themselves. I'm going to see if someone better suited at explaining than myself is interested in making some sort of starter kit demo explaining the features of the engine and possibly taking care of the eventing (mine is probably atrocious).

But so far, the few people who have volunteered or I've asked have just up and vanished or simply don't even bother replying, so it could be a while before that happens.

mary674

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
No problem, I can probably dig around and learn how to do it when I get the time. :3

RPGMaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are you going to release it?

it doesn't look hard to figure it out by the demo.

RCS_2012

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can could update the time on each frame calling on the Time::New which gets the current time and use and previous time with that set up intervals which if the timer >= interval the crop would grow. It probably would even be better avoiding the Ruby's ever so slow GC and just write a simple dll for the tm and time from c and just pack and unpack the tm members using the localtime_s if you know how to program in C/C++ (which I think all programmers should learn first and formost to understand memory and bytes, the heap and the stack). Currently I am having to write the Quest System in C to be used in Ruby for better memory management and speed. Nothing is faster than native code.

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So. Useful. THANK YOU! <3

Travatar

Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very cool stuff. I tried doing something like this with eventing once. It was crude, nowhere near as fully fleshed out as this. Very well done, TDS.

On a somewhat lighter note, the screenshot makes me think of a game about a farmer who sold his soul to Lucifer in order to grow crops ;)

(sort of like that one Fanfic mashup, "Blood Omen: Legacy of the Harvest Moon.")

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Phew, sleep all day, awake all night. I don't know what to draw tonight!

Does that count as poetry? ..Is there a super fast way to test my creations in RPG Maker? Has anyone played the new Pokémon games? I'm itching to buy it but I don't think my husband will want me to after he finds out how much I spent on Christmas!
When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.
Finally, I have graduated from college and now I can put a lot more work into my game, after having not worked on it for the better part of a year.
post so i can change my profile picture ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjui7