nekatu

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen a few posts in the past about trying to convert D&D rules for RM games; has anyone tried this with Fate?

I've been experimenting with this over the last few weeks and have managed to make some progress with the "Stress" levels over traditional hit/mana/tech points, Aspects being used as Skills, Consequences as States, etc but wondering if this is something that anyone else has tried before- and if so, whether they'd like to share their knowledge or otherwise get involved in my project.

With regards to the stress levels, I've converted the battle system to make use of this instead of points, including the required refresh at the start of every encounter. Further to that I've also tweaked the core script around TP points so that they're more like HP/MP points without the random number generator.

Thoughts/prayers/comments welcome! ;)

upload_2019-5-31_17-53-51.png

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
D&D is a pretty good game, there's many variations of this.
I'm not sure anyone has ever tried it before, but this could turn out to be something amazing!~

Skills like steal & trap searching would be pretty easy probably, but there are some that may need "extra" inventing.
Nice start if you ask me!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd figure that the hardest parts of FATE to replicate would be the ones that are a bit fuzzy around the edges. Things like Aspects are hard because the whole point of them is to define things loosely and have a human mind (the GM) decide if they are relevant or not.

In a video game, these things would have to be actually defined. They could be defined by things like the skill you are using, but you could also have ones like "rebellious princess of x kingdom" and have it become tag-able in situations where the character is acting as the princess in game, or when they are acting in rebellion of something. The big thing is, you would have to predefine these situations.

The same with compels, you would have to create situations in the game where the player can take the Fate point for the character creating trouble through an aspect being compelled.

Basically to properly implement FATE, I think you would have to hardcore design the entire story and characters around putting the aspects front and center, to make it feel anything like the game.

Also, consequences are interesting. Maybe give the player choices on the consequence to take when they can't take stress for a hit, and have them affect different actions.

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I understand, the (GM) actually IS going to be the hardest part.
Your a scripter, right? I think that you should start with the hardest parts then get to the easy ones.

Dungeons & Dragons, It will be interesting.
Dice? Are they going to be in, but that might be an easy part.
Since your probably using still Standard Battle System, might try looking at Alpha NET and see how that works.

But your probably super smart already.

All of that is definitely important to a game like D&D.
It'll be tough, It's not something like Moghunter's Linear Motion Battle System.
This is something completely different, D&D is an amazing game and I'm not sure if even the creator could do what your trying to achieve!~

nekatu

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks both- some interesting and useful insights; will update this thread as work continues.I've parked dev work on this for now to wrap up the actual story of my game, but I'll be back on this pretty soon, I hope!

nekatu

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So... I started what seemed like a simple task a few months back and it has spiralled into a mammoth overhaul of virtually every aspect of RMMV.

Over the next few weeks (/months/years) I'll be updating this post on the various elements of the system I've adapted, how I've done it, and why, with a view to hopefully assisting others in similar attempts and to also solicit some feedback on anything I could be doing better/differently.

As it currently stands I've managed to-
  • Convert the RMMV HP/MP/TP stats to (mostly) mirror the stress tracks in Fate Core. This involved initially capping each of these at 5, and allowing them to be refreshed automatically after combat.
  • Adapt the Skills system in RMMV to the Aspects of Fate Core. With the help of some @Yanfly plugins these can be called in and out of battle and can have either positive or negative effects depending on whether they are "invoked" or "compelled" as per Fate Core.
  • As with the Skills - - > Aspects conversion, I have further adapted States in RMMV to Consequences/Conditions in Fate Core.
  • For Fate Points I've made use of @Yanfly's party gauge as a mechanism to "pay" for the invocation/creation of Aspects, and to be paid when an aspect is compelled.
  • As a starting point for Fate's skills and stunts I'm using @Frogboy's Talents and Talent Traits. Further work is needed here to implement the skill pyramid from Fate but I have a few ideas for workarounds if not.
  • When it comes to the all important Fate Dice I've created a custom plugin that mirror the 4x fudge/fate dice rolls through the use of 4x random number generators to mimic 4x six sided dice, and then converted the results to - 1, 0, and 1 accordingly before reporting the result based on the Fate Ladder.
Anything I can't find a (superior) plugin for will be custom coded and added to the plugin, which I'll aim to share with the community for anyone else interested in doing this in the future.

I'll post up some screenshots and videos of the various systems in use in the coming days.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)
Just for the record you CAN use the "Exclude unused files" successfully to trim a project down seriously even if you're doing calls to various assets via plugins and such. BUT you need to do a full playtest of pretty much every option to ensure you did get every one of those other assets added in. Then I dumped the assets into a fresh copy of the project and yay it was like 400 Meg......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivysabs