RMMV Fates Collide (Demo Available!)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by JGreene, Jun 24, 2017.

1. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    FC_bust_title.png

** This project is still in development. Many aspects are still subject to change. **

Synopsis
    Have you ever thought there might be something else out there? Or have you wondered why things change, or how certain events are even possible? Fate and destiny are ever-changing here. Welcome to Yseria.

From the beginning, you'll step into the lives of two young women who are in search of answers regarding the mysterious disappearance of a loved one. One is careful, while the other is reckless. However, both will do what they feel is necessary to find what they're looking for. This results in them both being forced into a world they never knew existed. Over the course of their journey, the actions they take end up changing their lives, the world, and the flow of time itself.

banner.png

• Standard turn battle system - Side view system. Fully action sequenced skills, about 80% of which have custom animations. Some skills require additional user input to activate.
    • Summoning System (inspired by games such as FFVI) - Equip your characters and gain access to summoning spells. Level them up and gain new skills. Gaining points and learning works, but is early in development.
    • Crafting System - As of the demo, there are only a few basic recipes available for restorative items and the like.
    • Mini-games - Some NPCs have minigames that you can play. These can be a way to earn some quick cash. (Currently there is only 1 game in the demo, but you can play it pretty much any time)
    • Quests - Complete quests to earn rewards and advance through the story. Side quests are in development.
    • Custom artwork - Some of the menus, features, and mini-games showcase custom artwork, as well as compilations consisting of premade resources.
    • Gameplay - Currently the demo includes a moderate chunk of the main story and is between 4-6 hours, depending on how much exploring you do.
    • Tips - I have included a small help file in the download folder that details a few other features and things to look out for in the game. It's totally optional and spoiler-free. :)
    Looks like trouble!
    ss1.jpg
    They're waiting on something...
    ss2.jpg
    What's he talking about? ;)
    ss3.jpg
    Eat this, ugly samurai zombie thing!
    ss4.jpg
    A portion of downtown
    ss5.jpg
    Card Game
    ss6.jpg

What's there to say? Hmm... Well, I love video games. Pretty sure I grew up in just the right era to become addicted to technology and gaming. I've always found joy in creating things, too. From building things, writing, drawing, to RPG making... the list goes on!

But anyway, I've been around the RPG Maker scene for almost 15 years. I've made quite a few personal projects and helped friends on theirs as well. As far as developing a project to share with other gamers... I haven't really had time until recent years. Maybe it had to do with lack of dedication. Or the fact that one of my huge projects from RMXP got destroyed when my old PC turned into a toaster... Oh, well. RIP. Several parts of this project are inspired by that one. There's even a little graphical reference to it in this game.

All that being said, I can't wait to see the feedback from everyone who decides to play my game! Thank you in advance to those who do! :D

Mediafire
    (On the site, Right click -> Save link as...)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    liviticus likes this.
  2. LeetMusic

LeetMusic Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So it changes between a modern and medieval fantasy setting?

JGreene likes this.
  3. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes :)

4. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I played your demo up to finishing the bandit quest. I think you need to remember that the player doesn't know everything that you do. There are quite a few moments where I wasn't really sure what to do so I just wandered aimlessly and clicked until things happened. The brazier puzzle in the catacombs is one of the big offenders, I didn't even know there was a puzzle until it asked me to reset it. I ended up just randomly lighting the fires until it was right.

The story in the beginning confuses me. Mira and Luna both are friends and apparently knew why they were in the lab, so why would Mira lock Luna in a room and head off by herself? The only reason that made sense for it to happen was that Luna had to be alone for the first few fights. It would've made more sense to me for the alarm to start and Luna pushes Mira out the door before they lock so she can do what they came to do.

I'm terrible at QTEs, so the battles weren't much fun for me because I mostly just stuck with the normal attack. When I chose a class I went with mage because I was hoping that spells wouldn't have QTEs (and luckily I was right). I also had an issue with healing in the game. The only way to heal outside of battle was with items, which meant that in the first area I ended up having to restart since I fought all the possible enemies and ended up with low health so the drone's laser attack annihilated me.

There are some neat ideas with your maps but I think they could use some tweaking. The maps all seemed large and empty to me, especially since I couldn't run. I think quite a few of them could be condensed, like Moonlight Village since there are only a few small houses. Speaking of the village, I noticed that a lot of your doors are floating a bit, which you can fix if you preface the spritesheet names with a '!'. The oddly colored grasses and trees made the forest feel mystical, but the way all the trees were solid clumps made it feel like they had been planted instead of growing naturally.

I found the quest book to not really be useful. It told me things like "complete Ozrin's task" but didn't actually tell me what he wanted me to do. If I had set the game down and come back to it later it would've been unlikely that I would remember that I needed to go into the catacombs. I don't think a quest book has to spell everything out for the player, but it should give me an idea of what I'm supposed to do (so instead of "complete Ozrin's task", a comment of "Search the catacombs for Ozrin" would've been a lot more helpful).

Overall I think this could be an interesting story, but there are lots of little things that add up to make me not enjoy playing.