Lymmet

the Oddborne
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Being a souls fanatic since the release of Demon's Souls back in 09 I've spent hours battling and dying at the hands of both beautiful and horrible bosses of the souls series. So, what's your most memorable boss fight?

Mine would be:

• Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower from Bloodborne
  • Sinh, Slumbering Dragon from Dark Souls 2
  •  Abyss Watchers from Dark Souls 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ornstein & Smough - Such a well-designed fight.  The two are not that difficult at all by themselves, but they were designed to compliment each other perfectly and present a beautiful challenge til mastered.

Artorias - Beats the Abyss Watchers for it came first imo.

Priscilla - Waifu for Laifu.  PET DAT TAIL

Gerhman - awesome fight, lore and music.

Micolash - Great atmosphere and chilling fight, the boss is even purposefully designed to feel out of place it seems. ...Still curious on if it is kos or kosm.

Ludwig - no explanation needed.

DarkLurker - The only good boss in Dark Souls 2 (pre-dlc), thus should get mention.

Twin Princess - best boss in ds3 imo (would be nameless king, but dang camera)

Lady Astora - nuff said.

Lymmet

the Oddborne
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ornstein & Smough - Such a well-designed fight.  The two are not that difficult at all by themselves, but they were designed to compliment each other perfectly and present a beautiful challenge til mastered.

Artorias - Beats the Abyss Watchers for it came first imo.

Priscilla - Waifu for Laifu.  PET DAT TAIL

Gerhman - awesome fight, lore and music.

Micolash - Great atmosphere and chilling fight, the boss is even purposefully designed to feel out of place it seems. ...Still curious on if it is kos or kosm.

Ludwig - no explanation needed.

DarkLurker - The only good boss in Dark Souls 2 (pre-dlc), thus should get mention.

Twin Princess - best boss in ds3 imo (would be nameless king, but dang camera)

Lady Astora - nuff said.

I pretty much agree with Artorias & Ornstein/Smough shuold be on the list! Still think Abyss Watchers has a better ost than artorias'. But darklurker though? Hated that guy! If I was gonna vote for a DS2 Boss it would have to be Fume Knight or Alonne.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   If we are measuring by sheer difficulty for me living failures in Bloodborne was harder than anything, because that's the only boss that actually got me stuck (it took months of off and on playing where I'd try 3-5 times and give up for a while only to come back) or made me actually grind and meta game in order to get the edge necessary to beat them. The worst part is that by the time I finally beat them, I think I'd helped over a hundred other people beat them to, but while I'd be summoned within 7-20 seconds of ringing my coop bell, whenever I tried to summon there would be nothing but silence, run after run, leaving me to solo him every damn try! I hate those abominations so much, I doubt I'll ever play the old hunters dlc again for the simple fact that I know they'll be there down the line. Definitely not a favorite, but it's my most memorable one just the same. Most people usually attribute these frustrations to Orphan of Kos, but somehow I managed to solo-kill both Maria and that poor wretch on my first try once I finally got past living failures .

As for bosses I enjoyed.

Have to agree with awesomecool overall regarding Artorias/abyss knights though OP does make a valid point. Artorias was a much better fight overall, but abyss watchers had a better ost, and the half-fight revive added a lot of tension at first. But then you realize that his hp bar still chips rapidly for a boss and his flaming sword and lack of allies/enemies actually makes him even more predictable than the first half of the fight. Artorias was a threat, in the end while I enjoyed the atmosphere of the fight Abyss watchers was less of a challenge than the two black knights you have to fight right before his chamber, making him memorable for his awesome cutscenes but otherwise disappointing as a boss.

Gascoine? (second boss of bloodborne) Obviously in terms of actual difficulty he'd be a joke compared to later bosses like Maria, Gerham or even some of the later npc miniboss fights, but the old priest was memorable to me and probably nearly anyone else who opted to solo him because he was the first that really forced you to adapt to bloodborne's quickend battle pacing or die. Up until that point I was a very defensive player in bloodborne, and would miss opportunities because I didn't know suicidal offense was always the best defense. In my struggle to beat the old priest he taught me the gun-stun thingy (by doing it to me), then accidentally the monster arm impaling thing and just to add insult to injury I misinterpreted his paleness and fangs in the opening cutscene to mean he was a vampire, so when he first turned into a werewolf it threw me off just long enough for him to rip me to shreds. Each loss felt like a learning experience, then had me come back and use what he taught me to finally kill him (like a first souls game again). That thrill was never really relived after that, by the time I beat him I had a pretty solid grasp of the mechanics and spent my time refining them so while he was easily the easiest humanoid enemy in the game, his fight was also the most memorable to me because by the time I fought those harder bosses I had things down pat and they fell much more easily to me than Gascoine did, not even Gerham could invoke the same feeling of inferiority that Gascoine first did, though every scrap of lore on him set him up for just that.

Sinh the dragon: Come on, no one liked Sinh so far? After all the dragon boss fails from Dragon God to the unbelievably easy Guardian dragon and no one else enjoyed the thrill of finally fighting a dragon that was actually challenging for once as well as epic as it flew around the vast underground arena, poisoned you and then landed to eat you? Hands down best dragon, to bad he exists in the game that has so few other memorable bosses and suffers greatly by opting clusterf*** over substance in regards to non-boss encounters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lymmet

the Oddborne
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
N/A
   If we are measuring by sheer difficulty for me living failures in Bloodborne was harder than anything, because that's the only boss that actually got me stuck (it took months of off and on playing where I'd try 3-5 times and give up for a while only to come back) or made me actually grind and meta game in order to get the edge necessary to beat them. The worst part is that by the time I finally beat them, I think I'd helped over a hundred other people beat them to, but while I'd be summoned within 7-20 seconds of ringing my coop bell, whenever I tried to summon there would be nothing but silence, run after run, leaving me to solo him every damn try! I hate those abominations so much, I doubt I'll ever play the old hunters dlc again for the simple fact that I know they'll be there down the line. Definitely not a favorite, but it's my most memorable one just the same.

As for bosses I enjoyed.

Have to agree with awesomecool overall regarding Artorias/abyss knights though OP does make a valid point. Artorias was a much better fight overall, but abyss watchers had a better ost, and the half-fight revive added a lot of tension at first. But then you realize that his hp bar still chips rapidly for a boss and his flaming sword and lack of allies/enemies actually makes him even more predictable than the first half of the fight. Artorias was a threat, in the end while I enjoyed the atmosphere of the fight Abyss watchers was less of a challenge than the two black knights you have to fight right before his chamber, making him memorable for his awesome cutscenes but otherwise disappointing as a boss.

Gascoine? (second boss of bloodborne) Obviously in terms of actual difficulty he'd be a joke compared to later bosses like Maria, Gerham or even some of the later npc miniboss fights, but the old priest was memorable to me and probably nearly anyone else who opted to solo him because he was the first that really forced you to adapt to bloodborne's quickend battle pacing or die. Up until that point I was a very defensive player in bloodborne, and would miss opportunities because I didn't know suicidal offense was always the best defense. In my struggle to beat the old priest he taught me the gun-stun thingy (by doing it to me), then accidentally the monster arm impaling thing and just to add insult to injury I misinterpreted his paleness and fangs in the opening cutscene to mean he was a vampire, so when he first turned into a werewolf it threw me off just long enough for him to rip me to shreds. Each loss felt like a learning experience, then had me come back and use what he taught me to finally kill him (like a first souls game again). That thrill was never really relived after that, by the time I beat him I had a pretty solid grasp of the mechanics and spent my time refining them so while he was easily the easiest humanoid enemy in the game, his fight was also the most memorable to me because by the time I fought those harder bosses I had things down pat and they fell much more easily to me than Gascoine did, not even Gerham could invoke the same feeling of inferiority that Gascoine first did, though every scrap of lore on him set him up for just that.

Sinh the dragon: Come on, no one liked Sinh so far? After all the dragon boss fails from Dragon God to the unbelievably easy Guardian dragon and no one else enjoyed the thrill of finally fighting a dragon that was actually challenging for once as well as epic as it flew around the vast underground arena, poisoned you and then landed to eat you? Hands down best dragon, to bad he exists in the game that has so few other memorable bosses and suffers greatly by opting clusterf*** over substance in regards to non-boss encounters.
Sinh I actually forgot! I'll have to add him to my list. I actually never defeated him without summoning npc's, and the fight was still hard as hell. 

laurentiusmark93

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Being a souls fanatic since the release of Demon's Souls back in 09 I've spent hours battling and dying at the hands of both beautiful and horrible bosses of the souls series. So, what's your most memorable boss fight?

Mine would be:

• Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower from Bloodborne
  • Sinh, Slumbering Dragon from Dark Souls 2
  •  Abyss Watchers from Dark Souls 3.

Yay! Glad I found Dark Souls fans here!
Mine since Dark Souls 1... yeah... because I found it UNFORGIVING mistakes...
Wrong step is painful...

My favorite boss fights:

Sinh, Slumbering Dragon -> Actually fighting this dragon is such a pain in the ass... since... it's my first time I had to use repair powder and switching weapon...

Elana, Squalid Queen -> Summoning Veldstat while she spamming you with magic... prefect combination for... hell...

Dancer of Boral Valley -> It really test my skill into limit! She has everything! Strength, Agility, Speed, Size, Huge Damage, and unforgiving mistake (IMO), Range, and yeah... I found her just "prologue" of true hell of Dark Souls III, sigh...

The Pursuer -> Beating this boss taught me about "mastering" Dark Souls series for newbie... from fighting him, I learn how to strafe, dodging at precise timing, Parry and using environment...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, I love this topic! I feel like not many people will agree with me, but I absolutely love the Orphan of Kos battle in Bloodborne. It was so difficult but so rewarding to finally beat, and I love the atmosphere of the entire thing. 

Also, I have no clue why I enjoyed it so much, but Bloodstarved Beast is one of my favorite bosses in Bloodborne. I just thought the arena was really neat with the open roof, and it's such a creepy creature. 

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've only played Dark Souls 1 out of all these, so my choices are only from that.

Ornstein and Smough - Very tactical boss fight that keeps you on your toes. I love how much teamwork and co-ordination these guys use. Difficult on the first playthrough, but very rewarding.

Manus - Very punishing if you make a wrong move, but not as frustrating as Kalameet. You just have to be cautious and watch his attack animations. Very tense and rewarding.

Artorias - Another one of those fights where you have to be on your toes and react in the moment. My strategy is to always stay close to him, so that if he pulls back to buff up, I can interrupt it in good time.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Top choices from all 4 games (what is a demon souls?)

DS1: Manus and Artorias tie (loved those two and I can't even explain, I explained so much).

DS2: Sinh, really good fight.  Although he flies way to much.

Bloodborne: Lady Maria.  Such a graceful moveset and I felt like I was in one of my weird Japanese anime.

DS3: THIS NEW DLC FIGHT.  Favroite fight of all time.  Bad ass to the highest level + epicly epic music + epic theme + Lady has the most epic swag (spoilers prevent me from describing it more).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My spirit can be so easily wounded by most things that nobody thinks twice about. It may be not a big deal to you, but it means EVERYTHING to me!
I have to make a custom tree for my FSM game and I'm nervous I won't get it right.
Finally got the tablet picture! :LZSsmile:
Working hard on my Mode7 interiors in between calls at work!
A good idea rise a moment before falling asleep, and survive the second coffee the day next morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
34g3g34g