Favorite "Breath of Fire" & Why?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by OgreKiddo, Mar 7, 2019.

1. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BOF is criminally underappriecated by Capcom, was a flagship series when I was younger. Incredible Sprite Work, with really enticing stories that start slow but soon pick up when the Dragon transformations happen. Its a great series, one of the series that I wish Capcom would revisit (BOF 6 is not real!).

my favorite has to be "BOF 4", great characters & amazing sprite work, story had a more mature than the 3rd with deeper sentimental moments, Fou-Lu is such a badass, & the way they handle his story parallel to Ryu is really dope!

What is your favorite entry? & why?

Jhale M., Lornsteyn and BadLittleSeed like this.
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    4, because its the only BoF I played.. And yeah its a good game

Lornsteyn and BadLittleSeed like this.
  3. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any BOF that was not entitled "Dragon Quarter!" That one drug the Breath of Fire series through the mud, and sealed the series away into the annals of history. (I believe that was BOF5) Anyway, I loved the previous entries. The story seemed to be a bit more complete in 3, but 4 seemed more modern. I would be torn between the two.

4. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tough one, but I'd go for Breath of Fire II (although I like the III a lot too). It had the seeds of some of the features that made Suikoden a great game, and even if I don't remember all the details (25 years already...), I keep an overall good feeling about it.

5. Xenphir

Xenphir Nature's Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I'm the only one that enjoyed dragon quarter it seems. I really loved it. :/

Jhale M. likes this.
  6. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Xenphir I really did not enjoy it; however, it's still a BoF game - so I'll never give up my copy of it!

Xenphir likes this.
  7. Xenphir

Xenphir Nature's Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just loved the battle system and the ant farm the most. The story was a little meh tho.

Jhale M. and Lornsteyn like this.
  8. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BoF 1, 2 3 and 4... so much love, nostalgia and feelings of accomplishment after striking down the final bosses. I was eager to hear about Dragon Quarter, but once I realized they took the whole wonder of becoming a dragon and making Ryu weaker instead? Well... I have to admit, I lost all interest. I remember cel-shading being a new, big thing back then but even that couldn't change my mind. >_>

Lornsteyn likes this.
  9. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Breath of Fire 2, 3 and 4.
    Why I like them hm...I think its everything, they are perfect.
    I must admit Breath of Fire 3 has a special place in my heart.

But dont mention BoF6, its breaking my heart...

10. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    3 is by far my favorite. IMO the best story and the best mechanics. Also, I have always loved Rei as a character. He's such a good dude.

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  11. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would have to say 2. For all it's wrong's and right's, I really feel like it set the stage for the series more than the first one did.
    It still had that visual charm before the big leap in graphics.

-MIA

TWings and BadLittleSeed like this.
  12. Conflictx3

Conflictx3 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Breathe of fire 4 and is infact a large influence on my project

13. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would have to say 3. Though it was a toss up between 2 and 3.

4 had some great music though and I think is the only BoF I actually beat. 2 and 3 I've tried time and again. I should maybe get back to it one day...

TWings and BadLittleSeed like this.
  14. realice

realice Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    all of my favorite is BOF 4, they have many unique system featured, the character ilustration is good too,
    the story is epic!

15. conradfox

conradfox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I replayed BoF4 a few years back and I loved it. Definitely my favorite BoF game. I wish they would make a new one like that.
    happy wheels

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  16. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I guess I don't have much authority to state my favorite. I only played a bit of Breath of Fire 1 and only didn't beat the final boss in Breath of Fire 3.

Basically I have to say Breath of Fire 3 is my favorite since it is the only one I truly played. I love many things about Breath of Fire 3 although I think the art was a mixed bag actually. This was the first game to ever grab me by its story first (I was bad at understanding stories when I was younger, but this game was very different in its storytelling). I think the dragon gene system was just amazing and it was good for equalizing the difficulty of the game (although I still remember the game being difficult). Becoming a dragon also was good enough to compete with the existence of limit breaks in that time period, as I played every game expecting them to have a limit break system, usually only to be disappointed. I also loved the mentor system, I just wish it wasn't so time consuming to do (although it wouldn't be if you knew the level up trick). The fairy village is an amazing concept as well, although I forget exactly how it works. It amazed me that they had the fairy village when it was so mysterious. Also, the fishing minigame was pretty fun. Even though I hated the type of music that Breath of Fire 3 uses, the way they used it really sold me. That boss battle theme is so atypical that it made me fall in love with it.

In Breath of Fire 1, I felt like it was a pretty solid game, but going through the dungeons was a pain and I was wishing for dragon form like in 3. The start of the game is difficult and grindy if I remember correctly. The encounters on the world map were very cool and the story felt nice so far, with introducing the female positive themes that seem to also exist in 2, but I don't know anything about 4 (to avoid spoiling it for myself). Dragon Quarter looks like a game I would enjoy. I watched a lot of gameplay from a longplay or something, but I skipped the story scenes. I really like the atmosphere of the game and the very pressured design/difficulty. It works more as a horror/thriller than the others, but I think it was a much better attempt to change things up than 6 and it didn't feel too out of sync with what I knew about Breath of Fire.

17. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1- BOF2, it had a ton of emotional moments that left my heart crushed for a long time. However I do recognize that the story was very short and simple, being also padded out to hell to extend the play time.

2- BOF4, that was very dark and very sad, in a way that I don't really like, but it was ok.

3- BOF1 I don't remember much, but I didn't like it as much as 2

N/A- BOF 3 I never played that game.

18. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will say this right from the get go: BoF series was HARD. And it's because of its difficulty that I had an especially hard time completing them. In fact I never did finish BoF2. So that contributes to my enjoyment factor.

I finished BoF 1 and 3. I couldn't get over the fact that you were never allowed to beat those twin punks in 3 but for the most part it was a satisfying game. The ending dungeon ramped up the difficulty though, I remember wanting to kill myself because the random encounters was so bad.

1 was the most classic of them.

2 had the best story but that one I couldn't finish. I told myself, maybe one day.

19. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Breath of Fire 1 had a good world. Breath of Fire 2 had a good start and end. Breath of Fire 3 was the best overall. Never played Breath of FIre 4. Breath of Fire 5 I almost beat, but Dragon Quarter was a trash game to be honest.

20. Strange_Dragon_99

Strange_Dragon_99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My favorite Breath of Fire was BoF 3, just because I loved the dragon gene system so much. That and the fairies! :D I like them all, but I have to say that one is my favorite.