Favorite characters and characters you relate to.

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by AntonioTJS, Jan 23, 2016.

1. AntonioTJS

AntonioTJS Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    My favorite characters are Larry the Cucumber, Squidward Tentacles, Dr. Doom, Deadpool, Spiderman, Captain America, Shovel Knight, Yoshi, and Steven Universe. 

The characters I relate to are usually video game protagonist who have to make a lot of hard choices like Frisk from Undertale and Jack from Bioshock. I'm the type of guy who always wants to do the right thing even though times might be tough.

Sennie likes this.
  2. Sennie

Sennie Demon Slayer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is a fun and interesting thread :)

My favourite characters are Ben Tennyson, Scooby Doo, the 11th Doctor (Doctor Who), Angel (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and many more :) I'm a big fan of lots of different TV series and movies and have tons of favourites...too many to list.

The characters I relate to most is the 11th Doctor from Doctor Who and Ben Tennyson :) I also do a lot of writing and the main character I usually write about is a heroic, friendly and eccentric personality :) I love writing stories, and this sort of character always features in the games I make with RPG Maker VX Ace.

I'm the sort of man who always tries to do the right thing and I'm eccentric as well :)

Matthew.

AntonioTJS likes this.
  3. Rodak

Rodak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Math
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

My favorite Comic Book Character!!  Right up there with The Flaming Carrot, Reid Fleming - The World's Toughest Milkman, and Knuckles - The Malevolent Nun.  I'm also quite fond of Cheech Wizard.  Cheech is Vaughan Bode's most popular creation (Da Bode is The Greatest Cartoonist of All Time!)  (As opposed to the Greatest Comic Book Artist of All Time - Jack Kirby)  (and don't look up any of those characters if you are easily offended or not of legal age to read adult material!).

I relate to Rodak  (my Namesake and Avatar).  He's an alien from the old 1960's show The Space Giants!  He wanted to conquer the Earth because, in his own words - "Earth is the most beautiful planet I have seen.  All the other planets I conquered are barren and ugly. The Earth must be added to my collection!"  His nemesis and hero of the show was Goldar  (decades before power rangers used the name).  Goldar is a 50 foot tall robot with hair down to his waist.  I'm a sucker for a robot with long hair.  Goldar is why I grew my hair long all those years ago, and why I keep it long to this day  BD

Also of note is the original Ultraman series, and the other 2 big monster shoes of the time, Jonny Sokko and His Flying Robot, and Specterman.

It's not the robots I like so much as the monsters.  I'm a huge Godzilla fan.  Gamera too.  Even in comic books I find the heroes to be one dimensional and boring.  It's the Villains that I find interesting and entertaining.

AntonioTJS likes this.
  4. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I relate a lot to Atoli from .Hack//GU and Hubert from Tales of Graces. Also I forget her name but that chick from Mana Khemia 2 with the brown hair and necromatic tendencies is basically me.

Favourite characters includes far too many, but the crown probably goes to Balan from Tales of Xillia. (NPC of my heart)

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  5. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like far too many characters to pic a favourite, if you pressured me right now, I might say Kreia from Kotor 2, she's so charismatic and maquiavelic, but that might be because I'm replaying Kotor right now.

And embarrasing as it is to admit, as a bearer of the daddy issues badge, I feel a certain kinship to Tidus. (yeah, you can HA-HA-HA me all you want)

6. AntonioTJS

AntonioTJS Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I see your a Doctor Doom fan like me! I don't care what anyone says Dr. Doom is the greatest villain of all time, you can talk about this guy like he's a real life villain like Caesar or Napoleon there's that much stuff about him. 

If you like Dr. Doom check out this documentary by this cool guy on Youtube who reviews and makes documentaries about comics.  

7. FlareBlitzed

FlareBlitzed Interdimensional Traveller Member

First Language:
    English
    Throughout RPG Maker Games, a few of my favorite characters are David Hoover, Aki, Yonaka Kurai and Mary

David Hoover from The Crooked Man, a character with backstory and a key character throughout all three games of The Strange Man Series.

Aki from Misao, lovely/hilarious dialog and character sprites (especially when Yoshino dies and Aki comments she forgets to save her).

Yonaka Kurai from Mogeko Castle, the game's hilarious and her love for her brother shows throughout most of the game.

Mary from Ib, she's just an annoyance but one that is really funny! ^_^

Anything outside RPG Maker Games...

Samus Aran from Metroid Prime, only a fan of the games on the Gamecube and Wii that contains Phazon, she's pretty badass with an Arm Cannon and the ability to turn into a Ball, personally loved the 2nd Prime game the most.

Hisahide Matsunaga from Samurai Warriors 4, historically in Japan one of the most villainous individuals within the Sengoku Period, I love his sinister personality and the conversations he has with Nobunaga Oda.

Horo from Toukiden Kiwami, has a complex personality that often confuses others when talking too, one of the positives features about her, another is she can remove Oni parts that most other character cannot reach.

The only sports game I really like is Mario Strikers Charged Football on the Wii, loved using either Wario or Bowser Jr at the time.

8. JCBrickston

JCBrickston Joshua Curtis Restaff

First Language:
    Idonotusethis
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sometimes when I go into the kitchen and see that all the bananas are gone, I feel like Donkey Kong at the beginning of the original game.

9. BeardBro

BeardBro I think this line's mostly filler. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The two characters I relate to the most are Don Draper from Mad Men and Jessica Jones from the Netflix Original.

Don Draper is the embodiment of our desire to be happy. He tries to find fulfillment in all aspects of life, including women, booze, family, and work. But only Don himself can choose to be happy and fulfilled, and that includes forgiving himself for past mistakes. Mad Men is a rollercoaster of emotions and characters, but it ultimately tells a very poignant tale of a damaged man looking for his purpose in life. Don is easily the most relatable character on TV, in my humble opinion.

I like Jessica Jones for the same reasons I like Don Draper. Both characters are visceral representations of an extremely deep, personal aspect of our humanity. We desire greatness and peace, but that includes a lot of soul-searching and requires a significant amount of self-forgiveness.

10. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    As far as characters I relate to (much shorter list than characters I really like):

Disney: Elsa, Tiana, Tarzan, Hiro Hamada, Hercules

Western animation: Steven Universe, Marceline, Bugs Bunny

Anime:  Sophie (Howls Moving Castle), Allen Walker (D Gray Man), Jim (Outlaw Star)

Games: Sora (kh), Jeff (Earthbound), Sans (Undertale)

Books: Tiffany Aching (Discworld), May Daye (October Daye), Waldo Butters (Dresden Files), Neville and Luna (Harry Potter)

All I can think of at the moment.  Infer what you will.

11. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I wouldn't really know who to pick as far as "favorite" goes, but for those I relate to or identify with, I'd say a mix of:

Zhuge Liang, from the chinese novel Three Kingdoms. He is very intelligent and wise, has a calmness about him but isn't a pushover. He's a bit of a Mary Sue but meh.

Merida, from the Disney movie Brave. She is a marginal and a free thinker, she's headstrong and independant, she doesn't care too much for social norms. I can relate to that.

Wall-e. Love this little guy! He's a bit simple but he is curious and good hearted. He'd gladly just do his thing by himself with a bit of company. He's a hard worker but he likes to have his fun, he's a bit silly at times and has a sensitive side hidden behind his rough exterior casing.

Brian, from Monty Python's Life of Brian. Because the whole movie is basically him being "wtf is wrong with people?" and getting dragged along in silly events. I totally get that feeling of not understanding people.

As far as video games go I'm not really sure who I'd pick... Maybe Edgar from FF6, Barrett from FF7 or Garnet/Dagger from FF9. Or Magus from Chrono Trigger, even though he's a walking cliché. Something along those lines.

12. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Chloe Hartzog? o_O

That aside; I suppose one of my favorite characters is probably Deadpool. It just... clicks with me. 

As for who I would relate to, that's... A lot harder. Hmm.... Probably characters like Hachiman Hikigaya.

13. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I could only think of Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) right now. It's refreshing to see a male protagonist like him.

Not sure if I relate to him though lol.

14. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Characters I like and can relate to:

Starfire (Teen Titans): An extraterrestrial girl who's trying to understand Earth's ways. She has a kind heart but the culture differences really show in how she interacts with the other Teen Titans. For example, from her home planet, fireworks are a warning signal (like war and disaster), but on Earth, it's usually to celebrate something. When she tries to cheer Cyborg up with a Tamaranian Folk Song, she unknowingly ends up aggravating him further. She doesn't quite understand why he was irritable but she made an honest (if ineffective) attempt to make him feel better.

How I relate to Starfire: Asperger's Syndrome is the best way I can describe that feeling of being an alien on my home planet. I will never fully understand people nor why they do and say the things they do and say, but I seldom have reason to judge. I also have a kind heart and to some degree, that awkward social aspect of being different.

Ebenezer Scrooge (Alistair Sim's - A Christmas Carol): This particular rendition of an age-old classic depicts Scrooge as a miser because of the pain and harshness of his youth. He's more miserable than anything and can't see much hope in the future, even though he wants to. The ghosts come and visit him and show him all the memories of his past, and by the time he wakes up from the last of the three dreams he has, he really is a changed man. Instead of showing misery and miserly ways, people are astonished and delighted to see the darkness lifted from his soul, learning his true nature as a kind and generous soul.

How I relate to Scrooge: His personal struggles with himself and his past. I've even had visits of my own from the grim reaper in my dreams before, in surprisingly vivid detail. I remember him saying this phrase at one point: "I am too old and beyond help. Go and redeem some younger, more promising creature." I feel like that sometimes, being as self-conscious as I am. When you look past my faults, you can see my needs and all I really want to do is bring joy to peoples' lives. Near the end of the story, Scrooge surprises his employee Bob Cratchet with a giant turkey for the Christmas dinner he was to have with his family, along with a pay raise. I have more empathy than people often realize because if I see someone in pain, I can't stand watching it because I've felt it and it hurts. The sympathetic part of me wants to alleviate suffering and turn someone's day around. That's how I want to be remembered years from now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  15. Lizard19

Lizard19 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've always felt like I related to Peter Parker, being a pretty nerdy guy myself.

16. Olivier

Olivier Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Linebeck from Phantom Hourglass. Funny AND a cheapskate. So, pretty much me.

17. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My fav characters are: Professor X from the X-men series, Gandalf and Galadriel from Lord of the Rings, Luna from the Harry Potter series, Empath from Heroes of Newerth, Dor (the timelord) from The Time Keeper by Mitch Alborn and some more I might've forgotten to mention. xD

I can relate to alot of silent and quirky RPG protagonists like the ones from "Legend of Mana" or Isaac from "Golden Sun", mainly because most of the time, even though I like to stay quiet, many new friends I meet immediately feel like I can understand them deep inside their souls (lol), like they always want to share their whole lives with me and that they're about to give me a quest or something xD

but for some reason too, I can also relate with Yuna from "FFX", she is kind and is able to hide pain behind a smile and keeps composure to maintain inner-strength for her pilgrimage.. she also have an innocent perception of the world, but at the same time, she's actually wise and realizes the many faults of the world which needs to be addressed, even to the extent of giving her own life as a summoner! which I for some reason, have an affinity with. :)   The same goes to Sanzo from "Saiyuki"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2016
  18. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       Favorite Characters:

Kai Miyagusku(blood+), Mayes Hughes(Full Metal Alchemist), Balsa(Moribito), Zeddicus "Zedd" Zorander(Sword of truth series). If you aren't picking up the theme here, all of these are support characters who selflessly put themselves in harms way to protect people that they come to care for as family even though none are actually related to the people they protect by blood. (well, Zedd was actually the main character's grandfather, but it wasn't known until later in the series so the theme stands, at least for my purposes). Kai and Hughes are definitely my favorites among the group though, since they were both relatively powerless in the face of their loved one's adversity yet stood their ground just the same no matter how impossible and dangerous the situation became. Wheres Balsa and Zedd were both powerful bad-asses in their respective worlds, and it's easier for me to relate to the former than the latter.

Characters I relate to:

When I was a teenager I really related to Squall from FF8, being a misanthropic loner and introvert growing up I just connected with him and the way he looked at the world (at least through the first/cohesive half of the game). Today it I were to compare myself to anyone from 8 it would be Laguna though, as hilarious and unlikely as that particular contrast may seem.

I also resonate strongly with Perrin Aybara from the Wheel of Time series. Another introvert who has the same body issues that I myself had growing up, had a very similar thought process to myself and who was also eventually brought out of his shell and inspired by an overly charismatic, strong-willed woman. If I had to pick a fictional character to represent myself, it would be Perrin. My cousin who introduced me to the series actually used to call me Perrin sometimes as a nickname even before I myself had read the books which was the segway into introducing me to the series in the first place. I can't relate to the fact he spoke to wolves, obviously, but that aspect of his character is probably to blame for my fascination with the creatures today, though that was to long ago for me to actually be certain of.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
    Dalph and Starmage like this.
  19. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I often find myself fascinated by anti-heroes or any characters that do questionable things but for seemingly good or noble goals, especially if they are schemers with enormous and highly elaborate plans. The likes of Jigsaw from the Saw films, Light Yagami from Death Note, Darth Bane from Star Wars books, Captain Flint from Black Sails, and Frank Underwood from House of Cards. I really wish there were more female characters like these.

Also non-human characters often fascinate me too, if done right. For example in Mass Effect, all of my favourite characters were non-humans (Garrus, Wrex, Liara, Tali, Thane, Legion).

Dalph, CyndaBytes and AwesomeCool like this.
  20. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Matseb2611 - probably because they are more realistic? That is why they are my favorite archetype.  They have cons with there pros and anti-heroes can actually lose (while the plain hero never truly loses, just wins till his/her enemy shows his true Powah or a third party just one-shots him once in the entire story).  Basically they feel more human (they don't ever try the why not both unrealistic ending path and try the hardest they can to achieve there goals, no matter what anybody else says).

Actually, this is also probably why I love side-characters more then the main lead, they actually can lose and struggle (for more then 1% of there screen time anyway), thus I care about there fights and struggles .

...and you will never find a female character in that role often for it will lead to controversy irl.  Basically the same reason villains are almost always a white man, for you would be a bigot if it isn't a white man in the main evil lead (which is funny for the lead is generally a male white to appeal to the majority without regard to such things, as if a company as different stances depending on the characters role in the book, movie, game, etc).

Dalph and Matseb2611 like this.