Favorite fancy words

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Which are your favorite fancy words? Words that people don't generally use on a day-to-day basis yet you find yourself using all the time anyway just because you like them.

Uh, mine are the verb "To Elude" and the adjective "Ephemeral" lol

...idk why im making this thread

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sacrilegious or impenetrable, idk they just stick out to me lol

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My word is, and will always be "imperative."

I heard it in Kingdom Hearts 2 when I was seven, and somehow I liked it. "Imperative." This is imperative, that is imperative. When I was almost late for school, it was imperative that I get there.

...None of my friends could understand me, haha. I became somewhat-famous for this word- I still do like to say it.

Tetsuya Nomura, why did you expand my vocabulary like that!? IT MADE ME AN OUTCAST!! :guffaw:

Another one's "being-" that one I got from the BIONICLE books at the same age- that's how they referred to the aliens. & robots "This being." And so I began referring to animals as "beings." That butterfly is a "being."

...That one I don't do anymore, haha. But at the time it seemed cool & edgy & futuristic- like one day everyone'll be doing it and I was ahead of the trend.

Great thread @JosephSeraph ! It was fun writing that. I thought I was the only person who liked thinking about words like this, haha.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Evanescence, because I like the way it sounds, what it means, and the fact it reminds me of a band I liked in my early teens. I also like Lacuna (means either a cavity in the body, or an unfilled space) for pretty much the same reasons. lol.

Vicissitude is another word I love the look and sound of.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My word is, and will always be "imperative."

I heard it in Kingdom Hearts 2 when I was seven, and somehow I liked it. "Imperative." This is imperative, that is imperative. When I was almost late for school, it was imperative that I get there.

...None of my friends could understand me, haha. I became somewhat-famous for this word- I still do like to say it.

Tetsuya Nomura, why did you expand my vocabulary like that!? IT MADE ME AN OUTCAST!! :guffaw:

Another one's "being-" that one I got from the BIONICLE books at the same age- that's how they referred to the aliens. & robots "This being." And so I began referring to animals as "beings." That butterfly is a "being."

...That one I don't do anymore, haha. But at the time it seemed cool & edgy & futuristic- like one day everyone'll be doing it and I was ahead of the trend.

Great thread @JosephSeraph ! It was fun writing that. I thought I was the only person who liked thinking about words like this, haha.
That one is especially fun when you say you're doing something "for the time being" because it sounds like you're making sacrificial gestures to a temporal monstrosity.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That one is especially fun when you say you're doing something "for the time being" because it sounds like you're making sacrificial gestures to a temporal monstrosity.
Yes!! You get it, haha! It's cool and futuristic- as I said, I got it from a sci-fi comic and just thought it was the coolest thing ever.

EDIT: Wait wait wait!! I just got the pun! That's incredible. :)

Last edited:

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Ephemeral" is one of my favourite fancy words in English, too. I don't use it very often, but I like how poetic it feels, both when it comes to pronunciation and meaning. "Reminiscence" is another word I like a lot, and "awe", despite its shortness, evokes a lot of images in my mind. "Susurrus" is a nice one, too, though I seldom use it and mostly just go "ooh" when I see it in a text. :eswt:

One of my favourite words in my native language (i.e. Finnish) is "iänkaikkinen". It means "eternal" or "ageless" but is mostly used in Bible, so it has that archaic and powerful feel to it.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've always liked using the word lackadaisical when I get the opportunity; however, being that I'm a native Texan living in Oklahoma I sometimes feel like most of my vocabulary is 'fancy' compared to the local vernacular.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Nothing better than commissioning art and it turns out like 500% better than you could ever have imagined!
Today we reveal new plugins and tools!
Ugh. Some days you're the car... and some days you're the road.
Highly opinionated world-building mapping
Working on an audio engine plugin for MZ! Check this out with your sound on (preferably stereo sound too). Multiple BGM and BGS channels and spatial audio (volume and panning)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurenzTheZero