5) Faxanadu

TheSorcerer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Never played an NES in my life and I'm older than most people on this forum.

mathmaster74

just...John
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Metroid
2) Blaster Master
3) Mega Man
4) Castlevania
5) Bionic Commando
6) Contra

Platformers anyone? Lol!

EDIT: Honorable mention to 7) Ninja Gaiden and @Switz I gotta say, I thought as soon as I saw your opening post that Tyson's Punch Out, Excite Bike, and Tecmo Bowl would make my list too, but...so many greats...ouch!

Last edited:

SweetMeltyLove

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Top 10 in no order:

The Guardian Legend
Mr.Gimmick
Crysis Force
River City Ransom
Little Samson
Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3
Megaman 2 and 6
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
The Legend of Zelda

Never played an NES in my life and I'm older than most people on this forum.
Never too late! As a kid I had a master system so I only played NES games when I was at least 20+
I got one of those flash carts for my DS so I could play emulated NES and Gameboy on the go

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Hard to say. As a small kid I had to save several months in order to buy a game, so it was just a hand full i actually played regulary. Sometimes we did rent games from the video rental shop.

The Legend Of Zelda + Super Mario Bros 3 are sure on the top, however.

I remember of having played the other Mario parts, Mega Man, Kid Icarus, Nina Turtles, Simpsons, Tetris, ... and few other games on which I'm not sure, if they were NES or SNES (would have to google them..)

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, this question is for veterans like me. Lets see...

1. Turtles Ninja 3
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Adventure Island 2
4. Gyruss
5. B-Wings

I may add that the music from Gyruss was the reason that I begin to appreciate video game musics. To this day, I still think it's hard to find a video game music that sounds so amazing like Gyruss music sounded to me back then, when I was still a child.

woop

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In no particular order:

1. Castlevania 1&3
2. Final Fantasy 3
3. Dragon Quest 4
4. Esper Dream 2
5. Super Mario Bros 3
6. River City Ransom
7. The Legend of Zelda

PikanyaDesu

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Super Mario Bros. 1-3
Legend of Zelda
TMNT: The Arcade Game
Ducktales
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Castlevania

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. Final Fantasy
  2. Legend of Zelda
  3. Mega Man 2
  4. Dragon Warrior 3
  5. Castlevania
  6. Super Mario Bros 3
  7. Bionic Commando
  8. Ninja Gaidan
  9. Metroid
  10. Kid Icarus
  11. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
  12. Little League Baseball
  13. Techmo Bowl
  14. Kung Fu
  15. Ultima IV
  16. Wizards and Warriors
  17. Google 13: The Mafat Conspiracy
  18. Icari Warriors
  19. Faxanidu
  20. Contra
  21. Crystalis

Boe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've played a few but the only two games I've ever beat were Final Fantasy and Mega Man, so I guess those are my favorites.
Final Fantasy was a little rough to get through but once I found my pace I had a pretty good time.
Mega Man was a good time pretty much through the whole thing. I sat down and some unknown amount of hours later I had beat it.

AsuranFish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
1: Legend of Zelda
2: Final Fantasy
3: Mike Tyson's Punch Out
4: Super Mario 3
5: Dragon Warrior

Pretty close between #1 & 2, then a gap, then really close between 3, 4, and 5... I chose LoZ over FF because it was easier to get in and out of, didn't require grinding, etc...

Chose MTPO over SM3 and DW for similar reasons. You could just pick it up and play for a bit, and then be done with it.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
1. Final Fantasy
2. Double Dragon II : The Revenge
3. River City Ransom
4. Contra
5. Ultima (I can't remember which one, I used to always play it at my cousin's house)

My house was a Genesis house. Not for any reason other than that's the one we got, so I only played NES at friends' houses or at my cousin's house. I loved it though.

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World 9
Adventure Island I - III
Battle City
Excite Bike
Pro A.M. II
Street Fighter 2010
Match Racer
Double Dragon III - Sacred Stones
Chip & Dale - Rescue Rangers
Kick Master
Zen - Intergalactic Ninja
Dr Mario
Nakajima Satoru - F1 Hero
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - Manhattan Project
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters
Spy vs Spy
Duck Hunt
Guerrilla War

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy II. It's the first FF game I played, and I still love it for a few reasons. It had a lovely premise, a feeling of gloom helped by a desolate, expansive world map, and music that added to that gloomy atmosphere. My gloomy Slav heritage makes me love these things, can't help it. :biggrin:

'Course, the game bombed most of its good aspects as it went along, but I still love it for what it promised early on...

Kissa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is only one NES game that I play until today (since no other game I know of had emulated its formula on a satisfatory degree)... giving me fun and also calling more for my free time attention even than some modern games.

Zelda II, The Adventure of Link is such a masterpiece I try to learn from to develop my game... (Also Symphony of the Night I try to learn from)

No linear exploration (there is a "linear path" made to not left you lost, but you can do your own path, just like Dark Souls) on a big map (for the NES at least) and the insides of the also not so linear side scrooling palaces (and caves encountered) is just a mind blowing kind of adventure game for the NES... I would bet that it would be par with the best games using such feature of the 16-bit era (such as Demon's Crest and Donkey Kong Country trilogy... being the third the best in terms of non linear map explorarion, however, the stages are all linear... and I found Zelda II maps bigger than Demon's Crest maps (oh my gosh that music of Demons Crest started again in my mind)).

Of course this was perfected by some modern games, some are light-years awead of Zelda II (and others still below), so, this caracteristic cannot supports my point.

What supports my point is something that almost no game can, to this day, beat Zelda II in (at least for me): Its fighting mechanics, the gameplay itself.

Zelda II uses a system of "crouch, sword and shield" dueling in side scrolling so fun and skill-dependent. Takes you a long time to master it. By your habilities alone you can defeated sword and shield users foes (and any other) in a very low level. Dark Souls was the only other game I saw using something similar to what Zelda II had done (but in 3D), Dark Souls is what Zelda II would have been in 3D and Zelda II is what DS would have been in 2D.

Reflex for crouching to use the shield, jumping habilities and attacking are things too complex to master in this game, but rewarding when you master it, and after, you see how the game is actually very fair and balanced in all of its challenges. It is known to be "hard as hell" just because you are dependent on your fighting skills in a world with foes that actually want to kill you.

It has also a good level design! You fight with just a skeleton the first time you see one, and the second, and the third time... it is only AFTER that you will see them teaming up with one or other monster in one big area. There is no such thing as "lots of enemies poping out of everywhere just to have you killed" (just one kind of monster, similar to the medusas head in castlevania; but even so, the first time you see him it is just him poping out of everywhere, no other kind of monster in the whole area to get you nuts). Skilled and powerfull monsters are always placed alone in places of the palaces as a fair challenge.

Every powerfull normal monster you will face alone for the first time at least (also most of the time they appear), Some are so skilled powerfull that you will see them always alone..
It is also so good to find one of them guarding a good item or power up you want.

Since it is good enough to be "alive" among monsters such as today's games due to its, to this day, unique side scrooling fighting mechanics; Zelda II is by far my favoutire NES games (and enters in my top 10 best games I've ever played... without the nostalgia value, of course... it is also the only 8-bit game in such a list)

My second favourite NES game has to be Dragon Ball Z Gekshin Freeza... other game still too fun for today, beautiful fights for an 8-bit game and... my gosh, I loved such sprites for the fights, and energy blasts... the fights are so dynamic.
Also delicious hard, it is hard but you can beat it, fair hardness.

Then, I would put:
Super Mario Bros 3 in third;
Gargoyle's Quest II in forth, and;
Final Fantasy 3 in fifth.

And without order:

Megaman 6;
Blaster Master;
Castlevania 3;
Ironsword, Wizard and Warriors 2;
Super Mario Bros 2;
Bomberman 2

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Childhood favorites:
Dragon Warrior
Tetris
Duck Hunt
F-1 Pole Position
Dr. Mario
Super Mario Bros 1-3
Little Nemo
Adventure Island
World Games
Double Dragon II

Favorite weird discovery when I got older:
Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom

Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Metroid.
The minimalistic music is amazing.
I get nostalgic thinking about it.

But there are loads of good ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~
Finally scripting out the story after WAYYYYY too long of having 0 idea of how to approach said scripting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmeeDucks