Favorite Old RPG

WizzyT

Slayer of Fades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Knightmare lol

I love Pokemon, I remember being like an excited little school girl when I got home knowing Pokemon Red was there.

13 Years later I was exactly the same for the release of Pokemon Black and White :D .

PixelLuchi

hot lady knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
My most memorable (and probably fav, since I played it so many times) is Phantasy Star 4. For me, that's where it all started. My love of RPGs, of strong, authoritative female characters in video games and memorable characters. I owe so much to it it's not even funny. There's this one scene in the game that still sticks in my head more than a decade after playing it on an emulator in 2001 ( when I was 13 ). Just hearing that track makes me well up. And FF7 fans may scoff at me now, but it put Aeris' death scene to shame. And this was from a game that was released back in 1994. :)

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Phantasy Star 4 is the best RPG ever imo. Best story, humor and characters. And 165 in-games artworks? That was awesome.

Shining Force is a contender for best characters though, and has the best battle system.

Well in fact the best characters are from Dragon Force, especially design-wise. Can't beat 100+ characters of such quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelLuchi

hot lady knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
^ Yes, those cutscene images were pretty awesome. I think PS4 had over 300 individual images. That was alot of art. ^^

DsiXx

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Fire Emblem

Golden Sun

Zelda

And my favorite

FF8 and FF 7 :D

VinsmokeLuffy

The Chartocrafter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Final Fantasy 1-10, all Breath of Fire series, Golden Sun 1 and 2, all Dragon Quest/Warrior series, all Pokemon series, Xenogears, Suikoden 1 and 2, Prince of Qin, Resident Evil 1 and 2, Diablo 2, Riviera: The Promised Land,..that's all I can recall at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiterose

Editor Mapping Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll go back to my first ever gaming console that I owned which was my brothers SNES.

It's a 4-Way tie between Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Super Mario and Earthworm Jim.

They rank as my favourites because they were my first games ever. The first two my fantasy after school games, the second two the frustrating family tackled games.

WizzyT

Slayer of Fades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The newest Golden Sun game - Dark Dawn is surprisingly good if you haven't already tried it.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's just so many good old games out there, my favorite era was NES and SNES. I should've kept all my old systems but there was a period in my life when I was always broke and they had to go. Glad I can get a good portion of them from the Wii console.

Radscythe

The Hachimata
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Are we talking old or aging (psx/dreamcast)?

Either way I have to give Guardian's Crusade some love. No idea why but I've replayed that game so many times without getting bored. It could be because it's my first PSX RPG, but who knows.

As far as older RPGs, that's gotta go to the Phantasy Star series as a whole, loved them all.

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dothraki
Primarily Uses
N/A
FFIII (ok, VI for you who were too young to play it when it came out) and Chrono Trigger. The two defining RPG's of my childhood. Still tied IMO for best games of all time.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I loved Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force II.

Phantasy Star III I loved the concept (the generational concept) but I think the gameplay was super clunky feeling.
PSIII was my first RPG ever. I loved it back then. Now I prefer PSII and IV. PSIII had an odd charm to it, this delicate mix of fantasy and sci-fi. And the generations system was a stunning idea. Remember myself picking Maia because she was so beautiful xD

IndigoAir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pokemon, but of course. And also Final Fantasy 4 because Rydia rocks my socks.

Aslo Riviera: The Promised Land even though I haven't actually played the original one >.>

Zeuzio

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The PS1 era Final Fantasy games--even 8--will always be some of my favorites just because they were some of the first RPGs that I played.

Other than that, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue is awesome. Pokemon Silver and Chrono Trigger are some other good ones.

ZaneSCloud

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I'm surprised to see so many people saying FF9 was the better Final Fantasy game. I thought I was the only one with that oppinion.

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
well the best old rpg to me is golden sun(and golden sun:The lost age too)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made a surprising amount of progress in these past two days. Really helps when parallax mapping breaks limitation and allowing me to be creative and make maps that match my vision.
Let's promote our amazing artists in RPG Maker community! I posted right now about my game Phil Alone on Twitter and I decided to thanks Lime Zu, the amazing artist that did all the pixel assets for my game!
I just realised that the reason behind me not being able to make a game may be the lack of my original resources. I just dont like the look of MV faces and sprites, lol. Guess I will have make my own art.
I'm posting a commission art soon! :kaoswt2:
So here's a fun/tragic fact about me: I have an awful memory. But to be correct, I have memory "leaks". My memory is actually amazing, my issue is I can't keep memories for long, in fact, I once forgot my name. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xen0Warrior