Favorite Old RPG

Reynard Frost

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
well the best old rpg to me is golden sun(and golden sun:The lost age too)
The fact that Golden Sun is "old" to you makes me cry.

Final Fantasy 1, now that's an old RPG. ;D

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
The fact that Golden Sun is "old" to you makes me cry.

Final Fantasy 1, now that's an old RPG. ;D
Well golden sun is the first RPG i ever played since i was 4 ya know in fact i was playing golden sun non-stop(of course the golden sun:The lost age too :) )approximately 2005 and i did never play final fantasy

Reynard Frost

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well yeah, I'm over twice your age. I'm just commenting on the difference. XD

Gluttony

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One of my oldest games, and a favourite still, was Banjo Kazooie on the N64. It's sequel Banjo Tooie (also N64) was, if anything more amazing, although less old.

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I made it a point to go back and do Final Fantasy 4 at least once every year. Just because.

TrogButtz

Hamster Hamster! ~~Dance!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would have liked to spend my day NOT knowing that I'm getting old... o.o

I didn't really get to play many games on my NES when I was younger, I was more into the platformers then, and that's what my parents would rent for me lol. Anyway, I will just list the SNES ones here:

Breath of Fire II - First RPG I ever beat... and even as a youngin' tried to completion-style it.

Chrono Trigger - We can all thank this game for paving way to the awesomeness we have today.

Terranigma

Illusion of Gaia

Secret of Mana - I cry myself to sleep sometimes because this game's soundtrack is so permanently engraved on my brain. Seriously, it's playing in my head now.

Secret of Evermore

Lufia II - Yeah. 'Nuff said.

Robotrek - Never beat it, but I loved every second I did put into it.

Honorable mention due to uncertainty if it is considered an RPG:

E.V.O. - <--- This.

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Secret of Mana - I cry myself to sleep sometimes because this game's soundtrack is so permanently engraved on my brain. Seriously, it's playing in my head now.
I can play that one snow plain background music on keyboard, partly. :D What is is called? That rather sad one.

Edit: This one:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Phoenix

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@TrogButtz Have you ever played Breath of Fire 2 with Ryuusei's improved translation? The game is infinitely more playable that way, since the original translation REALLY sucked. Plus you have the option to use the GBA's improved intro, with the intro music replaced by "Within The Fire And Flames".

TrogButtz

Hamster Hamster! ~~Dance!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Liak: LoL now this song shall be stuck in my head for weeks...

@Dark Phoenix: No I haven't, but I'll have to look into it! Thanks for the info!

Yip

Get Off My Back, Candice
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm probably in a shallow minority here, but I love me some Gauntlet.

Gaiaman77

Music Composer/Sound Designer/Self Proclaimed Nice
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Asking me to chose one is impossible, so here goes. Im going to rule out FF7 as that is more than just an RPG to me. (yes classic fanboy, and proud)

Final Fantasy VI, Soulblazer, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Series, Breath of Fire II,  Breath Of Fire III,  Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

There are so many more, but these stick out in my head straight away.

FF6 - Incredible story, detailed character stories and personalities, fantastic game engine, beautiful pallet, Son Uematsu's 2nd best score (in my humble opinion)

Soulblazer - Incredibly addictive, unique concept, catchy score, great graphics, gratifying sense of achievement every step of the way

Chrono Trigger - Again great game engine, a truly unique battle system for its time, great development team, superb music, superb pacing, multiple endings and new game+

Pokemon series - Sound design is some of the best on the entire console for red/blue/yellow & gold/silver I still think the surf theme from gen 2 is incredibly well written given the limitations.

Breath of Fire II - Because that story though. Music was also fantastic, the prologue theme in particular was so harrowing, almost evil

Breath of Fire III - Loved the pacing of this game, characters were great, visuals where really quirky and the soundtrack was phenomenal, never heard another OST quite like it.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Okay okay, its a tactics game, but still, the story in this game really touched me as I could relate it to my own life in so many ways. I also loved the game mechanics, used to link up with a friend and play constantly for the hidden items, his brother maxed out the entire thing. this one holds a special place. and again that signature Ivalice soundtrack was great, the title screen music in particular made my hair stand on end, and its a gameboy game.

Great reading through everyone's top picks. ^_^

Kafutschga

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I still really like the old games from Rare Ltd, like Conker's Bad Fur Day or Banjo-Kazooie and I just love Fable :D

GotMop

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I loved the addition system from "Legend of Dragoon"

Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just love the MV feature that allows you to create your own animations!
I typically ask this on my normal social media channels, but figured there may be good replies here. Anyone got any good horror movie recommendations? I've seen a lot, but I always love getting suggestions! Bonus points if you know which service it is streaming on (in the US) - bring on the spOoooOky!
 After a few distractions (and my annual rough second week of October), I’m getting back on track with my OMGC project.
 Am I overcomplicating it? Yes. Am I going to tone it down? Almost certainly not.
 At least the dialogue stuff is almost done. I need to do the map itself, and then all that’s left is combat.
 Getting there!
Creating 3D CGs for Cutscenes. :kaosalute:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelard