Favorite plots or settings in an RPG?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by xdan, May 20, 2019.

1. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh wow, they had a lightsaber? That's interesting. I mean I'm not surprised, it's Space Opera.

I'll qualify those are my favorite games, there is a lot games I played I ... just never found particularly influential. Not that they were bad, they just weren't the genres I was most thinking of.

I expect a specific thing from medieval fantasy for example.

SolonWise likes this.
  2. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @L.W. Flouisa Well, its not a real lightsaber. It's an advanced weapon that sounds like a Godlike thing to the habitants of the planet Claude lands. And its very clever, since the people of this planet have a prophecy that a warrior with a weapon of light will come to erradicate the crisis and the evil of the world. I don't remember all the details, but Star Ocean: The Second Story is a true masterpiece.

L.W. Flouisa likes this.
  3. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm never sure how to take some Space Opera (Star Trek is one example), because at times it can seem Dystopic, and yet it--do to the nature of it being on television--never goes quite as far as you want it. It doesn't make the franchise itself bad, so much as that television networks by their nature never can go quite far.

But I've heard television shows now allow a lot more dark content. Dr. Who, and so on. So it be interesting to see what Star Trek would be able to do today.

I found out about Blake from an acquaintance from New Zealand. It be nice if they ever brought that over stateside.

SolonWise likes this.
  4. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The story of the development studio behind Star Ocean, Tri-Ace, itself is also really interesting. They broke away from Wolf-Team, the creators of Tales of Phantasia, who, themselves, would become Tales Studio. They would then form the separate entity Tri-Ace. Later, a subset of that team broke away again to create Tri-Crescendo (spelling?) that made another marvelous (but under-rated) RPG called Baten Kaitos. Then, in almost an RPG style, Tri-Crescendo worked with the Tales Team to produce Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Berseria (with the later even getting on someone's list here).

Someone should do a video. :D
    (edited because a sentence was confusing)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    SolonWise and L.W. Flouisa like this.
  5. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm sorry, I know I really shouldn't after doing it so many times, but I have a hard time immersing myself in the Star Ocean franchise. It feels like all the races are designed merely to be "relatable and familiar" rather than realistic or interesting. I would love a Star Ocean game where the people from other planets actually look like they're from another planet. I mean, I still have fond memories of playing Star Ocean the Second Story, but stel.

SolonWise likes this.
  6. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Benny Jackdaw I think I agree with your point, but I've read some theories about aliens and some people believes that, if aliens really exists, there is a big chance they are like us: Two arms, two legs, eyes, ears and averything, and for a simple reason: This works! To be an intelligent race, we must be able to walk, see, think, ear, and manage small objects, so we need fingers and a thumb. Sounds boring, and this theory may be proven completaly wrong, but I think it makes some sense.

7. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Okay, but why doesn't this extend to bad races? In SO2, the villains of the first disc were monsters. ...Okay. The villains of the second disc were Nedians(Space Elves). ...Okay. In SO4, however, for a good chunk of the game, the villains... were lizard aliens. ...no. >:( never played the third or fifth the game, so I can't tell you much of those.

Plus, even with the same formula, aliens could still look vastly different, and I seriously can't believe tail-human aliens or Nekomimi aliens. And come on, the first game has Felicia and Jon Talbain from darkstalkers as playable characters.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    SolonWise likes this.
  8. Milton Monday

Milton Monday Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I hate to be "that guy" but I think you've misunderstood what Star Trek is Star Trek isn't dystopian, it's utopian. Star Trek presents a future where Earth has solved all of its problems; Terran diseases are more or less wiped out, prejudice is a thing of the past, and the world is unified under a single benevolent government. Mankind is reaching out to the stars with the Federation as a positive and peaceful force. Most of the problems the crew of the Enterprise run into are solved through diplomacy or scientific discovery rather than violence. Star Trek is all about optimism. Going "darker" would betray the series' premise and core values. That said, I haven't seen any of the recent movies or Discovery, so maybe they've done just that. I wouldn't be surprised.

Back on topic; favorite RPG setting has to be the Wild Arms series, particularly the third game, just for the sheer cool factor. It's a blend of fantasy and science fiction with a spaghetti western coat of paint. Any game where you can have a horseback shoot out with space aliens is a win in my book. Also, the western influence extends to the music, which is INCREDIBLE. Very underrated series; not even Sony seems to like it, as they haven't greenlit a new entry since 2006.

Mrs_Allykat likes this.