Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How do you make quests? Do you event them or use a plugin? If so which one and why?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use the newest Gameus plugin which is easy to setup with the editor,
than use or not use an image if compleeted or failed.

I made a tiny tutorial how to set it up.
It's my favorite one.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShadowDragon the one you linked is a plugin for MV and this is a VX Ace thread, since the two engines use completely different programming languages, it is definitely not going to work in VX Ace.

@Countyoungblood the word "plugin" usually refers to MV plugins and the community usually uses the word "script" to address codes to be used in VX Ace. Your profile says that you use VX Ace, and so does the place where you started this thread, but you asked for a plugin. Which one is true? According to that we can provide information that can be useful to you.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG MV use Plugins (out of javascript)
RPG VXA use scripts or ruby which is very different from MV :)

but as for VXA, here is a easy one, but while I dont have VXA, it is easy to set it up.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Countyoungblood regardless of the definition of "plugin", the community has its own convention, which is, in this case, more specific. Since you are not interacting with yourself in the mirror, but you are interacting with other people, that unnecessary, and most likely arrogant, "Lol" line, on the other hand, only shows that you are missing an important aspect of being part of a community, which is to stick to the community general trend and conventions in order to make it easy for people to communicate and avoid ambiguity as much as possible.

This is one of the very basic goals of language, although there are those, like French and German, that succeed at it better than other, like English or Italian for example, but regardless of the degree of success, it remains one of its main goals. The sooner you understand that, the better for you.

That said, this is a nice one that you can use on VX Ace. As far as I know there are a lot of people using it, even if I have never used it myself. It has many features related to quests and how they are conveyed to the player.

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShadowDragon thanks I will give it a shot.

@Heirukichi who are you to say whats unnessesary while you write books in response to 3 letters and make pointless and nearly meaningless corrections on a thread you actually have nothing to contribute to? Who are you to dictate how i should word my thread?

These are the questions the thread is about.

How do you make quests? Do you event them or use a plugin? If so which one and why?
If you cant answer the thread relevantly why answer at all? Do me a favor and drop it so I can get helpful replies and not have to waste my time reposting the thread.

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Countyoungblood you are missing the important fact that the very first solution proposed in this thread was a MV solution, and the person who proposed it also explained why you should favor the word "script" instead of "plugin" when referring to codes used in VX Ace. This is a fact, arguing against facts is a fool's job, and I would rather refrain from stepping there. I was by no mean dictating how you should word your thread, I pointed out a more efficient way that is meant to help you to obtain help faster.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a more generic input on how to handle quests that is not engine-related, which would make any form of disambiguation completely irrelevant, a more efficient way would be that of posting this thread in a different section, because, as far as I know, this one is meant for VX Ace-related "how do I" questions. I might be wrong on this, of course, but I am still quite confident.
If you cant answer the thread relevantly why answer at all? Do me a favor and drop it so I can get helpful replies and not have to waste my time reposting the thread.
I did reply to your question giving you a link to what I consider being one of the best scripts to handle quests in VX Ace, and then I gave you a piece of advice to make your threads better and go straight to the point. How you use that information is up to you, but you should really keep any beef outside the forum and just take my first post as it is: a way to help you to achieve your goal faster.

The reasons why following the community convention is better than not doing it are already explained above. That said, accept my advice or scrap it, it makes no difference to me.

Last edited:

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Countyoungblood you are missing the important fact that the very first solution proposed in this thread was a MV solution, and the person who proposed it also explained why you should favor the word "script" instead of "plugin" when referring to codes used in VX Ace. This is a fact, arguing against facts is a fool's job, and I would rather refrain from stepping there. I was by no mean dictating how you should word your thread, I pointed out a more efficient way that is meant to help you to obtain help faster.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a more generic input on how to handle quests that is not engine-related, which would make any form of disambiguation completely irrelevant, a more efficient way would be that of posting this thread in a different section, because, as far as I know, this one is meant for VX Ace-related "how do I" questions. I might be wrong on this, of course, but I am still quite confident.

I did reply to your question giving you a link to what I consider being one of the best scripts to handle quests in VX Ace, and then I gave you a piece of advice to make your threads better and go straight to the point. How you use that information is up to you, but you should really keep any beef outside the forum and just take my first post as it is: a way to help you to achieve your goal faster.

The reasons why following the community convention is better than not doing it are already explained above. That said, accept my advice or scrap it, it makes no difference to me.
Ok, scrapping it.

So, lets try again.

I thought this was clear but Im looking for personal expirience with quest plugins.

Anyone have a favorite that has worked well for them?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Btw, if you make 2-5 quest in general, you would probably event it though, unless its a long and complicated
quest with 4+ objective each, if you have a bunch of quest, you can use a scripts.

But the question is also, are you looking specific for a script?

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I usually follow a different approach:
  1. create an array to store quest progression;
  2. store each quest progression in the relative value in the said array (e.g. quest 2 goes in the element 2 of the array - not the 2nd element, but element with index 2, I usually use the 1st element, the one with index 0, to tell the engine if the array has been initialized);
  3. access the value relative to each quest whenever you need it.
In the end you have an array with many different values, each one is related to a different quest, and you can use that to check what the player can do and what the player cannot do.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In the end
I'm a little surprised to see you actually trying to contribute to the threads goal.
I was considering advising what quests scripts I have found, but after seeing Countryoungblood's attitude, I don't want to give advice.
Besides I don't use plugins, since I use VX Ace; therefor I use scripts.
And honestly this is to just add in filler, cause the OP has been given very little in the way of plugins on this thread.

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm a little surprised to see you actually trying to contribute to the threads goal.
I was considering advising what quests scripts I have found, but after seeing Countryoungblood's attitude, I don't want to give advice.
Besides I don't use plugins, since I use VX Ace; therefor I use scripts.
And honestly this is to just add in filler, cause the OP has been given very little in the way of plugins on this thread.
To be abundantly clear advice coming from someone so obviously fickle/capricious isnt likely useful anyway so Im feeling zero pain from the loss if anything I should thankyou I wouldnt know to ignore your opinions without this childish comment.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I changed your title to say script. PLEASE get them straight, as plug-ins mean you want solutions for MV, and you posted under ACE and the two solutions are not compatible with each other. Thank you.

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[mod]I changed your title to say script. PLEASE get them straight, as plug-ins mean you want solutions for MV, and you posted under ACE and the two solutions are not compatible with each other. Thank you.[/mod]
Since you and your nose are here can you explain how "plugin" relates specifically to javascript or at least doesnt apply to ruby? Ive already wasted so much time in this thread without gaining much relevant information so why dont we just lay this out and derail the thread talking about what plugin means?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plug-in is the name they decided to call them in MV. I don't use MV so can't say more. But If you use the word plug-in you will get MV answers as that is what you asked for. So the correct name is required if you want answers you can use for ACE.

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Plug-in is the name they decided to call them in MV. I don't use MV so can't say more. But If you use the word plug-in you will get MV answers as that is what you asked for. So the correct name is required if you want answers you can use for ACE.
Thanks, that speaks volumes.

Spose I'll re-rail.

@Heirukichi I like the idea of using an array but how difficult would it be to implement a job board/ adventurer guild thing? That seems to be part of the benefit of using a [crossout]plugin[/crossout] script

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My game doesn't have a quest, so I don't make any, however, if I would make one, I would do a similar approach as Heirukichi. Put it in an array, then organize them. Which means I would use plugin script. And I would make a custom one.

I like the idea of using an array but how difficult would it be to implement a job board/ adventurer guild thing?
Rating how difficulty is depends on many factors. For example, it could be difficult if you lack the necessary knowledge to understand ruby syntax and array/object management. Although for sure, it would be tedious since you have a lot to manage.

also, to strikethrough you need the tag [ s ] not [crossout]

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Roninator2 although the OP's attitude has definitely been one of the worst I have ever seen in this forum, I reply to discussions to give advice that can be useful to everybody, not just the OP. I can see where you are coming from and I certainly agree with you, but when replying to a thread you do it for all the 120,000 forum users and as well the half million unique visitors that this forum has every 6 months. You never know who is going to be needing that information in the future.

how "plugin" relates specifically to javascript or at least doesnt apply to ruby?
I think I can give you a more detailed answer, since I own both. The answer lies in the very definition that you pedantically linked without properly understanding, or not knowing because you never specifically used MV, its implications.
"A plugin is a software add-on that is installed on a program, enhancing its capabilities."
VX Ace scripts improve the capabilities of the game, but the game itself is a derived product of the program where you are placing the script (VX Ace itself), so they do not enhance the program capabilities. MV Plugins, on the other hand, once installed, affect the game (derived product), but also enhance the program allowing you to configure them in the plugin manager, without having to edit the source code to do that. The fact that you have extra parameters in the program itself for each plugin you are using qualifies them to be addressed as "plugins" instead of scripts.

The difference is subtle, but even if there were no difference, if the community sticks to a certain definition for a certain scope, you should stick to that to avoid ambiguity. It is the same as adding a definition to a legal document: if a word has a local definition inside the document, the meaning associated to it in the following text is the one with the local scope, not its general meaning.

how difficult would it be to implement a job board/ adventurer guild thing?
It would be tedious, as Theo said, because you have to add each quest manually, but I do not think it would be less tedious than doing it with a script. A script can help you managing the UI, but the number of quests you have depends on how you are designing your game so the script author cannot know that beforehand and is most likely going to leave that to the user (you).

The advantage that comes with using a script is the fact that you can have a GUI that includes your quests within the menu to clearly convey to the player which quests he or she picked, which ones are still active and which ones have been completed. Doing that with a script requires a simple line in your script call, but having to code it manually using events is much more complicated.

EDIT
@TheoAllen regarding BB codes (completely off-topic), I don't know if you are aware of this, but you can use [PLAIN] and [/PLAIN] to show BB codes without having the php page evaluate them. If you do it this way, there is no need to put white spaces between the code itself and the square brackets.
Example:
[CODE]This is not a code[/CODE]
Since you put white spaces in your BB code I thought you might be interested in this. I personally find this a useful tool when sharing information with new users who are unaware of how this forum handles BB codes.

Last edited:

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Roninator2 although the OP's attitude has definitely been one of the worst I have ever seen in this forum, I reply to discussions to give advice that can be useful to everybody, not just the OP. I can see where you are coming from and I certainly agree with you, but when replying to a thread you do it for all the 120,000 forum users and as well the half million unique visitors that this forum has every 6 months. You never know who is going to be needing that information in the future.

I think I can give you a more detailed answer, since I own both. The answer lies in the very definition that you pedantically linked without properly understanding, or not knowing because you never specifically used MV, its implications.

VX Ace scripts improve the capabilities of the game, but the game itself is a derived product of the program where you are placing the script (VX Ace itself), so they do not enhance the program capabilities. MV Plugins, on the other hand, once installed, affect the game (derived product), but also enhance the program allowing you to configure them in the plugin manager, without having to edit the source code to do that. The fact that you have extra parameters in the program itself for each plugin you are using qualifies them to be addressed as "plugins" instead of scripts.

The difference is subtle, but even if there were no difference, if the community sticks to a certain definition for a certain scope, you should stick to that to avoid ambiguity. It is the same as adding a definition to a legal document: if a word has a local definition inside the document, the meaning associated to it in the following text is the one with the local scope, not its general meaning.

It would be tedious, as Theo said, because you have to add each quest manually, but I do not think it would be less tedious than doing it with a script. A script can help you managing the UI, but the number of quests you have depends on how you are designing your game so the script author cannot know that beforehand and is most likely going to leave that to the user (you).

The advantage that comes with using a script is the fact that you can have a GUI that includes your quests within the menu to clearly convey to the player which quests he or she picked, which ones are still active and which ones have been completed. Doing that with a script requires a simple line in your script call, but having to code it manually using events is much more complicated.

EDIT
@TheoAllen regarding BB codes (completely off-topic), I don't know if you are aware of this, but you can use [PLAIN] and [/PLAIN] to show BB codes without having the php page evaluate them. If you do it this way, there is no need to put white spaces between the code itself and the square brackets.
Example:
[CODE]This is not a code[/CODE]
Since you put white spaces in your BB code I thought you might be interested in this. I personally find this a useful tool when sharing information with new users who are unaware of how this forum handles BB codes.
condescending pseudo-sage comments aside thanks for actually providing information to back the verbage. Id prefer this at least to all you've written irrelevant (or vaguely) to the topic but I cant control what you write. If I could id ask you to answer the questions in the original post and leave your high horse at the door. even if you are writing to better the forum in general You might consider reaching the point without muddying the waters with useless details that only fools with an abundance of time would squabble about or take the time to sift through to find such a small and simple answer. seriously just answer the questions if you can or stay out of the thread this is so much harder than it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.
People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negociant