Favorite RPG (growing up)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nekohime1989, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I don't think this is really the topic to discuss this so I'll be brief.

I have a wide definition of what is an rpg, and it mostly boils down to the progression of a character.
    So dark souls likes, metroidvanias, rogue likes, zelda games to some extent are rpgs, you're playing as a character that improves in gameplay.
    Visual novels usually don't qualify (no gameplay improvement), classic fps neither (no character improvement, finding different guns doesn't count), nor rts such as starcraft (no character based improvement, even though starcraft 2 has some rpg elements, especially with heart of the swarm, but I digress),...

The lack of classic elements of rpgs such as experience and levels and the progression being milestone based in zelda makes it a different kind of rpg, but the fact that your are playing as a character that can evolve makes it an action game with rpg elements, thus an arpg in my book.

2. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Technically Zelda games, at least the older ones, would be considered adventure games. You explore, and gain power by what you find not levels, and it's based on puzzles and world building.

I am so glad to see how many people enjoy the Golden Sun games, they were brilliant and well worth the time invested, even if they were a bit slow.

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  3. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I'd argue that character focused adventure games that feature character improvement are rpgs too.
    If you called the new tomb raider games rpgs I wouldn't bat an eye for example.

Zelda games are action games first, with rpg (in the sense of character progression) and some puzzle elements too. You can choose to call that an adventure game, I choose to call it an arpg.
    Anyway, sorry for going off topic.

4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Zelda games are action adventure games. They always have been. The exception is 2 for the NES, which is an rpg. I'm sure I've had arguments about this before on the forum but strangely I can't find any to link to.

Nekohime1989 and BadLittleSeed like this.
  5. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh man, SO many of my favorite games mentioned here - Link to the Past, Phantasy Star, Lufia, Landstalker, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Golden Sun, Beyond Oasis!! *flooded with nostalgia* Did anyone else enjoy playing the Lunar games? Specifically Lunar: Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue. I did play Silver Star Harmony for the PSP, but *whispers* we won't talk about that abomination 'Dragon Song'.

I also enjoyed playing a little gem called Koudelka on the PSX. I understand it was responsible for a series known as Shadow Hearts, but I just couldn't get into those for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Nekohime1989 likes this.
  6. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Cat Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Beyond Oasis... Oh god. the horrors.
    Beyond Oasis is so hard. THose puzzles get down right hard if your trying to 100% the game.

7. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    PC: Bard's Tale series.
    NES: Ultima 3
    Atari 2600: Dragonstomper

They may not be the best games but I really enjoyed them as a kid.

8. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Chrono Trigger on SNES as it was my introduction to RPGs.

9. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rachnera Deadly Towers? What a horrible, horrible game. I loved it. XD

Back in the day before the internet and game review sites, we relied solely on box art (and of course...Nintendo Power, if you had that.) to help us determine whether we should buy a game. Games like Deadly Towers had great box art that fooled some of us into buying them.

As it usually goes, after the initial raging, screaming and controller throwing at what a scam the game was, we sat down stubbornly to play the darn game, cause we paid good money for it.

Because of that, we start to appreciate parts of the game, and get some odd satisfaction from playing it. It becomes a part of our fond childhood memories. There's lots of games like that for me. Deadly Towers being one of my favorite horrible games. All because fate gave it to me.

Oh, one good RPG that I would like to mention is the Quest for Glory, formerly known as Hero's Quest, series by Sierra. It successfully combines adventure and RPG elements, which I think is still unique even today.

10. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Cat Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Deadly Towers is so dayum terrible it's good. It's sad that it was the first game I ever played.

11. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a tie between Golden Sun and Legend of Dragoon. Over all Golden Sun probably wins but even now as a grown ass man I can't get over the dues ex machina of "the wise one" screwing over Alex after all the brilliant machinations he (she?) went through to set himself up to basically become god. I mean when all is said and done he shouldn't have been able to be stopped, as all the people who could have been able to stop him were on the other side of the fricking world at the time fighting each other because of him! What an amazing third game that could have existed if they'd just let Alex win and the kiddos in GS3 had to finish what their parents failed at after growing up in a world ruled by a near omnipotent Alex rather than the monstrosity that GS3's actual story ended up being. :headshake: Such great potential squandered by deus ex machina bs shoehorned in out of nowhere. I miss that game though. Probably one of the few really old titles that if someone gave me an old GBA and the cartridge for I could still sit down and play to this day.

BadLittleSeed and AmieLK like this.
  12. AmieLK

AmieLK Tired Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Philosophus Vagus I know, right?? I kept trying to look for some sort of symbolic meaning, but it just seemed weird and weak. GS3 was a disaster and definitely could've used a cohesive villain like Alex. And I uh... I might have uhh... several ROMs downloaded on various devices... uhhhh...

13. SweetMeltyLove

SweetMeltyLove Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The first RPG I remember playing was Silver, released in 1999 for PC. It had real-time combat and graphics similar to FF7. The story is the most cliche you can get but I love it. Even the obligatory sewer level was not a bad one

[​IMG]

The other one was Dark Stone, also released in 1999 for PC. This one was a poor man's Diablo, but still enjoyable. The most interesting part was that the quests were randomized

[​IMG]

Jhale M. and Ryisunique like this.
  14. SpaceBot

SpaceBot Demon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ff legends 1, 2 and 3. Secret of mana. Illusions of gaia. LOZ series.

Jhale M. and BadLittleSeed like this.
  15. Mako_Sharknado

Mako_Sharknado Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Legend of Legaia! The Tactical Arts system is one'a the coolest mechanics in turn based gameplay ta me, 'n as a lifelong martial arts fan I adore that the party members all primarily fight hand-ta-hand in different styles. The game also has a nice soundtrack'n a pretty eerie atmosphere that helps it stand out

Jhale M. and BadLittleSeed like this.
  16. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Super Mario RPG was an incredible childhood experience, Secret of Evermore was another gem

Jhale M. likes this.
  17. sleepy_sealion

sleepy_sealion Need to work harder! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My first RPG was some Dungeons and Dragon game on the Sega. The town music and game over scene where your town gets destroyed is kind of engraved in my skull.

My favorite Rpg's as a kid were definitely the Paper Mario games. They weren't too complicated - and the paper aesthetic is charming as all heck.
    I rarely replay Rpg's more than once - but I have at least four playthroughs of the first paper mario.

18. realice

realice Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Favorite of mine are:
    PS : Legend Of Mana
    PS 2 : Suikoden
    PSP : Star Ocean
    PSV : Trails of Cold Steel
    PC : Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy
    GBA: Final Fantasy Tactic
    NDS : Luminous Arc

19. Joe_Schmoe

Joe_Schmoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    First one I can remember would be Drakkhen (especially the music), although technically I was in my 20s when I started playing that game ie and not a kid. ;)

20. Lonewulf123

Lonewulf123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Enlish
    Dragon Quest 5.

Riviera the promised land.

Mother 3.