Favorite RPG (growing up)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nekohime1989, Mar 10, 2019.

1. luzi

luzi Freelance Artist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I'm begin to play JRPG game around middle school. I'm starting with PS2 game. After start using RPG Maker XP, I'm going back to play some old game in SNES because i want to find some idea and learn about old school JRPG more.

PS2 : FFX ,Kingdom Hearts ,Ar Tonelico 2
    SNES : FFVI ,Chrono Trigger ,Romancing SaGa 3

atoms and Jhale M. like this.
  2. caseylloyd

caseylloyd Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Planescape: Torment. It still is my favorite RPG. It uses the best setting WotC (TSR) has ever released; and its story and characters are great.
    There are so many RPGs that I love from that era (like BG2, Fallout 1-2, Arcanum, Icewind Dale...), and they are all great and different but Torment is something else...
    The most time I have spent playing however, is Icewind Dale. Although it uses the same engine and same rules (DnD 2nd Ed.) it was a complete different game. I loved creating different parties and soloing the game(completing the game with a single character, instead of creating a full party).

3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When I started playing CRPGs, the D&D Goldbox games like Pool of Radiance and also the Ultima games were the ones I was into. This was a generation before my other favorites such as Final Fantasy 1 and the Dragon Warrior series.

4. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I started playing RPGs in High School.
    The ones I started with were:
    GBA: Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire 2, and Fire Emblem.

5. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I think it would be Final Fantasy X. Unfortunately, I only got a taste of it at first, finally playing the game myself and finishing it years later, but it was still early in my childhood. I played Final Fantasy VII before I would ever get to play X again and I really enjoyed it the first time through, but I don't honestly think it is better than X (although I really loved how just about every weapon had a unique model and the materia system too). I might put Digimon World 2 and 3 high on the list too. I also adored the SNES but never got to own one. Through emulator, my favorite game during that time was Earthbound. It may have actually been Fire Emblem 4 though, if I played that early enough.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Quest for Glory and the D and D Gold Box games. I spent the entire summer of 92 playing the Gold Box games and Quest for Glory 1 and 2, as they were cheap ($14.99 or so for each) which with a $10 weekly allowance added up to 2 games every 3 weeks, which was great for summer vacation when you are young. In fact, I played so much Quest for Glory in future years I dreamed the game at some point.

7. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright. It looks like no one went there, so I will. When I was a kid growing up, RPGs were paper and pencil.
    Paper and pencil - AD&D 2nd Ed. (Undermountain and Forgotten Realms boxed sets were the bomb!)
    XBox - KOTOR
    XBox 360 - Fallout 3 (GOTYE)
    PC - Neverwinter (because technically the first gaming thing I ever released online was a quest in it...Aerthus)

8. Strange_Dragon_99

Strange_Dragon_99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My favorite RPG growing up was Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES. I grew up playing games on the SNES, which is why I love RPG Maker so much, I suppose. I can make games similar to those old classics that I still adore even now. (I periodically still play through Final Fantasy 2/4 and FF 3/6.)
    Other favorites included Arcana, the Lufia games, Lagoon, Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior. I am of the opinion that the SNES era was the golden age of the RPG. Maybe I am just getting old and nostalgic, but I don't think RPGs will ever be able to recapture the magic they had during those early days....

9. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A good and bit under the radar game is Ogre Battle 64. It's very much traditional turn based with an excellent story even though screenshots would imply it is more of a a time strategy game.

It's about a young knight named Magus who starts off just a small squad leader and ends up commanding armies in the climatic war with the ogres. The ogres are kind of like the white walkers in GoT in that they only appear every thousands of years. Just enough time to pass before humans think the stories where all just fairy tales. And in good ol RPG fashion, this invasion is considered the ALL-IN one in which there is no stopping them.

10. Ebanyle

Ebanyle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played reaaaally few games, RPGs even less... Guess the only one I played was Legend of Mana. But it has a place in my heart as my favorite game ever. Yoko Shimomura's tracks just hit me like a truck, I can't even hear the OST because it's too nostalgic for me :kaocry:

11. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started really getting into RPGs back in late elementary, around 4th or 5th grade, since around then my reading comprehensions really started to take off (I was a very slow learner as a kid). The first RPG I ever truly got into was Phantasy Star 4 for its gorgeous cutscenes and just a really cool setting, unlike anything i've ever seen before (science-fiction, fantasy and post-apocalyptic!?) I couldn't really get into the other ones as a kid. Two lacked battle-backs that adapted with the environment and instead was a cool, 80s-era cyberpunk esque background and three just had a really weird animations and a weird UI.

And now I have the ability to see Phantasy Star references in anything...which has so far amounted to two. One in Adventure Time and the other in a Fate anime of all things.

12. PaladinJessa

PaladinJessa Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm gonna be super basic and say FFVI on the GBA.
    Does Rune Factory count as an rpg?

13. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Final Fantasy VIII was by far my favorite RPG of my youth. Everyone else liked 7 and 9 and so forth, but I've always felt a special magic from 8. That's subjective, of course, but what isn't subjective is 8's music being the best RPG music ever, full stop.

14. Sinful_Pride1

Sinful_Pride1 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When I first started playing video games I had an N64, but I didn't play much of rpgs at that point (I played zelda a bit but was bad at it, was around 4 when I started and alot of it was complex for me) but I did enjoy a few games on it, mischief maker, pokemon puzzle league, and a space shooter... cant remember the name. But then I got into game cube/ds/game boy and some of my favorite games were dragon quest 9, all of the mystery dungeon games (up til super mystery dungeon), all the game cube dragon ball games... Dragon quest 9 still, is one of my favorite games of all time.

15. bunslunch

bunslunch Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dragon Warrior NES.

(AS GROWING UP) I've only enjoyed DW1 to DW4/DQ4 though,
    and then it started to break away from the:
    • Dragon Ball (Z,etc) Universe / Descendant of Erdrick / Israel = Zenithian / First Testament Parallels / Holy Bible canon...
    which is why I'm automatically indifferent (AS GROWING UP)
    about any newer ones, though I do enjoy them on the various consoles.

I'll make a recording of me whistling, the DW1-DW4 OST theme music, sometime, and upload it to Youtube, in future.
    I've been practicing.

16. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I that my favourite RPG ever is MOTHER. I remember waiting the fan traduction to come out and playing it till the end for a week. I really hope they make more games in the future :c

bunslunch likes this.
  17. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    NES - Final Fantasy 1, I guess? I didn't play many RPG's on the NES as I was a child and they were kind of "slow" and "hard to understand" for me at 6-8 years old.
    SNES - Chrono Trigger. It's still the greatest RPG of all time. I don't care what anyone says. Yes, I know and accept all it's flaws. It's still the best one there ever was. Final Fantasy 6 after that one... Secret of Mana after that... Seiken Densetsu 3 after that...
    PlayStation 1 - Final Fantasy 9. Or, maybe Final Fantasy Tactics.
    PlayStation 2 - Final Fantasy X.
    Gameboy - Pokémon Red. I put something like 400 hours into it before the cart died about 5 mons from total dex completion. Close second would be Seiken Densetsu 1.
    Gameboy Color - Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and 2. Both of these are infinitely better than Pokémon. The breeding system is better. Move learn system. Capture system. It's all just better. It's too bad they haven't made more for the 3DS.
    Gameboy Advance - Pokémon Leaf Green.
    Gameboy DS - Pokémon Diamond.
    Xbox 360 - Mass Effect 1. Hands down, best in the trilogy. Don't argue with me, you'll lose. The only people who don't think Mass Effect 1 is the best one are people who started with Mass Effect 2 or later.
    PC - Um... Final Fantasy XIV, I guess? Does an MMO count? I have trouble sitting at a PC and "enjoying" an RPG. PC has too many distractions for me to play an RPG on it. A strategy game though? Sure, I can do that. I'm enjoying FFXIV though. Probably the most immersed I've been in a storyline since Mass Effect 1. Probably the best community I've interacted with since... well... early days of Runescape.
    Tabletop - Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. Honestly, it's the only line of Tabletops I've ever played. I started with fourth edition and hated it. But, Fifth Edition is pretty fantastic with much better skills, classes, rules, and roleplay elements. It helps that you don't have to buy 100000 supplemental books to have more than like 40 items too. Or monsters.

SolonWise likes this.
  18. GLM

GLM ブラッドシェド © 1989 POLOCOM Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, god. I'd say overall Final Fantasy IV, but I had many.

Famicom Dragon Quest III (I know, but the make-your-own-party thing made me like it more than IV)
    Super Famicom Final Fantasy IV
    Mega Drive Phantasy Star IV
    Mega-CD Lunar (I never got to play the original Lunar 2)

19. isoovak

isoovak Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Chrono Trigger! anyone ever tried it yet? it's one of the best.

20. SpicyNoodleStudios

SpicyNoodleStudios Aspiring Vigilante Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Tales of Symphonia was my favorite while growing up