Hollow 1977

Rpg MV Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
With the birth of so many different rpgmakers it is difficult to decide which one to with although most would probably agree with MV due new scripts being released and it seems to have so some nice features. But how does it compare to the previous ones. Which rpgmaker are you using to create your game and what parts of it do like most?

For me it will probably be MV due the new features however my fave would probably XP with the way they designed the map editor. You had three layers to work with and could easily build an awesome map. But I also like character portrait and vehicle adds the newer ones provide and also the side view battling.

Rieker

>9000 pixels
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
For me it is VX Ace, I don't like MV because they made it less user friendly. Plus any scripts I need are already made in Ace, although i haven't checked MV scripts in awhile to see if my game is even possible to make in MV. I don't use tilesets, so they don't effect my decision. Only problem with the old rpg makers i'm finding is that some of the scripts are lost on the internet it seems.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mine would be MV, also. Not only can I do more things with it by default, but it has some really nice plug-ins currently out, and being made, for it. It's sleek, sexy, and does everything I need it to do.

However, I'll always have a soft spot for RM2k3 simply because I used it to make my first game back in school. It was a nonsense game, which had: no real plot, a villain which vowed to destroy the world because you left him behind when he wasn't a villain, and lots of ripped music. I also didn't understand switches and eventing way back then, so you could see moved events\characters chilling in empty spaces in rooms after the character\event was meant to have left the map - a default samurai character turned into a pile of jewels after joing your party. Good times!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For me it's Ace. Hands down. MV's graphics are really ugly and there are far less plugins than there are Ace scripts, so I'd pretty much have to event everything. As well, MV seems to be really unreliable when it comes to exporting your games. I've seen a lot of problems with plugins malfunctioning and the game freezing when you export. From what I hear the memory leak has stopped, but it just seems like a gamble to export your game.
With XP, I think the graphics are the best there, it's really charming, however, I do not understand the database one bit. With 2K and 2K3, I can't really say much about them because I don't know much about them.
With Ace, it's what I started with, it's what I'm sticking with. While I'm aware you can't port games, I use my computer most of the time anyway. While the face graphics are still not the best, they at least don't appear cross-eyed. The sprites are simple, yes, but they at least look like they can support the weight of their own head. And at least you can have some vague sense of what the character is even wearing. When you export, you export, no problems, unless there is some crazy script, but even then, just copy the files from your unencrypted version, and it works. With MV, quite a few games I've tested have had random errors pop up with their plugins that were not there on playtesting.

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hmmm...

RPG MAKER Series for PSX/PS2/PSN are always in my heart; these were my beginnings (at least with software).

For the PC, my first dive was RM 2k3 (this was something all students had access to), but back then, all I understood was how to make events work, and that was all that was required so I only had about a month or so to experience it.

So, XP was my first true dive into RM, and though it took me a bit to grasp how it all came together, I was able to make a decent game with it (which is gone because of a malware-infected HDD-see 'how I dealt with Dregol using a shotgun').

I eventually upgraded to VX, which was more or less, as good as XP with degraded features in some areas and improvements in others.

I fell in love with VX Ace within a few minutes of getting started; the Character Generator was simply divine!

Yeah, I'm sticking with VX Ace; I wanna try MV, but not before I get a better computer, how ever many YEARS that takes...

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So while I love VX Ace and MV both equally for how powerful they can be, my favorite RM is RM2k. It was the first one I used and is still plenty capable of doing whatever I could want to in it with enough skill in eventing. It was my introduction to programming at a basic level and it's the reason that I still try to event everything before even going near scripts. Not to mention it's the only engine that I can make passable resources for since the small size is easy to manage.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Since the beginning, I just couldn't get into MV. In theory it should be everything Ace had but better, but it just didn't click. I'll probably use more MV some day but Ace will probably stay my favorite.

2k is growing on me too, I recently made a simple game using it and had a blast. It's very limited in a lot of ways, but part of the fun is finding ways around limitations. I think the same logic is what made SNES games using Mode-7 more impressive than the jump to 3D in my eyes.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
MV than XP, I probably spent for time with Ace than both those but never really felt at home with it.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
For me it is MV, mainly because of the graphics. At the moment I use Windows, but anticipate moving to Linux at some point.

VX Ace does have a lot going for it, and gets an honourable mention from me, though. Ace is stable (as in neither needs nor gets updates), has a vast amount of resources including scripts, and is very well within the capabilities of my slightly revamped second-hand computer. MV lags appallingly with one well known light plugin, and won't work at all with another well known one.

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV has the best looking RTP, side-view battlers and everything. The default battle music is breathtaking-intense.
I can actually write javascript without Googling docs/tutorials every line, because it's more like designing a personal home page or a Tumblr theme.

Elven Enchantress

Random Elven Princess
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm also going to have to say RM2k.
I came acrosss it way back in the days of Don Miguel (I believe that was the name) and goofed around in it so much that I actually got semi-competent with it by the end and had learned to somewhat edit tilesets and character sets. Especially the latter.

MV does have in-built sideview battle system (which I greatly prefer) though, something that took loads of work in RM2k and which I never got to work in any other RPG Maker so it's definitely close to the top.

HeroLite

stinky weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RM2k's got a kind of retro feel to it that you just can't replicate with the newer versions. i'm kinda partial to it, even though newer versions bring in new fancy shmancy features.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
RM2k's got a kind of retro feel to it that you just can't replicate with the newer versions. i'm kinda partial to it, even though newer versions bring in new fancy shmancy features.
Agreed. It's not only an element of Nostalgia, but the ability to replicate it. I guess you could export 2k's RTP to future makers, but not only is that a bit time consuming for those not into graphics creation. It's just not the same once you either resize them. Even if you use MV where you can keep the same size, there is a lot of blur to make up for the resolution.

It's simple, but Tilesets created for 2k/3, especially Mak and Blue, are some of my favorite RPG Maker tilesets ever.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My favorite was the console versions especially 2 on ps2. (2 was cute. 3 was improved. I had all of them of course lol but cuteness gets me more than function lol)

I used to use vx ace as my primary then switched to mv for mobile support and just ported everything. I prefer MV due to knowing js better than ruby. I had to change my coding practices though - I learned js spaghetti way first not oop as it is now. So it's taking me longer to put a game together because if I'm up late I fall back on bad coding and wonder in the morning wtf I did lol

eluukkanen

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I grew up with RPG Maker VX, but I have to say that the newest MV is far better than VX and ACE combined. I have tested XP, which has unique things in it and there are a lot of different scripts for it (as example I once found turn based army strategy game script)

MV is the one with most possibilities, to make games on mobile! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.
Yelp. I've discovered that I am one of those people who should not be drinking coffee. Took me a week detoxing off of coffee and switching to tea to realize how badly it was affecting me- and I've been drinking the stuff for years. Yikes!
I bought a gaiter with Meijer printed on it.

I'm still a Walmart worker, and I wore it today for work.
Trying out new carpet autotiles and I can't decide if it's working or not. Pixeling soft carpets is hard
It seems like this is going to be another remote semester. RIP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakobhenerey309