jakeybreaky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doesn't have to be videogame related, could be from show, movie or book or whatever. Just curious what you guys typically look for in villains, and who you'd say your favorite of all time is?

Personally Bondrewd from Made in Abyss hits all the marks for me.
- Cool design
- Feels like a legitimate threat
- flamboyant personality
- steals whatever scene he's in
- Cool mad scientist gimmick
- Irredeemably evil
- a genuinely warped sense of morality that you could spend hours psychoanalyze. He doesn't just feel like he's evil persay, but rather is clinically sociopathic. Without going into spoilers, he does genuinely care about the people that he does horrible things to, and that's part of what makes his actions so horrifying.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Luca Blight from Suikoden 2 best real evil villain of all times - insanity done right xD

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mithos – Tales Of Symphonia [used to be a hero but due to some bad experience. He becomes a nihilist.
Ardyn Izunia – Final Fantasy XV, a villain by traumatic experience to insanity.
Sephiroth – Final Fantasy VII - he becomes crazy to learn about who he is.
The Black Prince Luca Blight is the main antagonist of Suikoden II. - he is really evil by creating a war by committing mass genocide to satisfied his psychopathy, but due to his childhood's traumatic event increase his hatred.

Last edited:

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Black Prince Luca Blight is the main antagonist of Suikoden II. - he is really evil by creating a war by committing mass genocide to satisfied his psychopathy, but due to his childhood's traumatic event.
But thats not all there is to his madness... His Childhood trauma only expllains part of it the other part of him is true evil. Remember that scène where he lets that villager beg for her life and crawl around like a pig... Oinks included? And he is obviously enjoying himself a little too much - then kills her anyway.... Yeah thats not childhood traume xD

Also he isn't really the main antagonist only the most obvious one :p

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Finnuval, you are right. He is just born a psychopath. One of his more memorable moments came when executed a woman after making her beg and act like a pig. Just born evil!!
The devs want his character to hate by a player completely.

Last edited:

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Finnuval, you are right. He is just born a psychopath. One of his more memorable moments came when executed a woman after making her beg and act like a pig. Just born evil!!
And dont forget the final battle with him. It takes literally an army, 4 parties and the hero to finally put him down.... Ugh that fight was horrrible and glorious at the same time xD

But enough about that, dont wanna hijack the discussion :)

mchangin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Akira Nishikiyama (Yakuza) and I suppose Delita (FFT)... Well, I suppose Delita doesn't really count as a 'villain' so much as an 'anti-hero'. Both of them were men thrust into their roles as victims of circumstance, molded by forces way beyond their control.

I think it hits especially hard for Delita because he makes it a point as early in Chapter 2 that he does what he does under his own terms, willing to be a puppet for nobody, yet the events of the story, while they did let him reach his goal, did have unintended results that made him think.

But I think it's great when starry eyed characters get put into these sort of situations and emerge out of them having lost it all and have a vendetta to settle. They're great final boss battles because sometimes they know that they've gone too far already, but have nothing to lose so the strength of their resolve is unwavering; It's easy to set them up as villains when trying to tell a story where the setting cannot easily be changed, and probably the most realistic way to handle the topic.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just want a villain's decisions to make sense. They don't have to be decisions that I would do, but I need to understand why a person would be motivated to do what they are doing.

Magneto from Marvel is a good example: He is a Jew who went through the Holocaust. His entire motivation regarding the treatment of mutants is "never again". His methods go way too far, and he has a bit of hypocrisy in not realizing he is basically becoming what he hates, but the reason he does what he does makes total sense.

BENI_MARU

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Fou lu from BOFIV always stuck out to me. He's literally another side of the same coin relative to the hero. To some degree, the parallel highlights what each character would've developed into based on the circumstances that they're surrounded by.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just want a villain's decisions to make sense. They don't have to be decisions that I would do, but I need to understand why a person would be motivated to do what they are doing.

Magneto from Marvel is a good example: He is a Jew who went through the Holocaust. His entire motivation regarding the treatment of mutants is "never again". His methods go way too far, and he has a bit of hypocrisy in not realizing he is basically becoming what he hates, but the reason he does what he does makes total sense.
I'd say that the hypocrisy is basically because he *cares too much*, which is a good thing to have in a villain because you can see how with a little more understanding and support, or a less traumatic origin, he could easily be right there alongside Charles helping mutants and humans live in harmony.

Magneto's desperation to avoid a similar fate for mutants basically gives him tunnel vision and blinds him to the harm his methods cause.

Awesomejr44

Dragon-Type Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A good villain in my opinion needs to have a good motivation that might not excuse their actions, but it either makes them relatable or at least understandable. The only exception to this rule are the 'force of nature' villains that can be used in a good manner without a good (or any) motivation at all. I don't think this needs to be anything super deep or anything that enters psychology, but I'm not against villains like that.

Redeemable villains seem to be in season these days, and while they can be used for a very moving redemption arc (assuming this doesn't happen in the last 10% of the game/movie), making an irredeemable villain with no hopes for redemption is usually better as many redeemed villains get their redemption for the sake of having a redeemed villain.

The last thing a good villain needs is a connection to the hero. This can be formed before or during the course of the game/movie's plot, but there needs to be something. It doesn't need to be a close relationship such as a childhood friend, a family member or a long time rival, but it should be something that gives the hero and/or the villain to fight, other than 'the villain wants to destroy/conquer the world'.

A good example of these qualities is Thanos from the MCU.
Thanos' goals and motives, while extreme and not very relatable, are very understandable as he's seen his planet die from overpopulation and thus feels that its his responsibility to prevent the same problem from consuming other planets.
Thanos also doesn't have an unneeded redemption arc, and he ends up paying with his life (twice) for his crimes. There isn't some heartfelt moment where the Avengers forgive Thanos at the end because Thanos commits many evil acts in the MCU and doesn't earn any forgiveness.
And finally, Thanos has a connection to Iron Man (who could be considered the main character of the MCU up until Endgame) which makes their fights personal. When Stark finally overcomes Thanos in the end, its much more powerful because he hasn't just defeated a random villain, he's defeated the threat he's been afraid of since the first Avengers movie. This same connection can also be seen in some of the other Avengers, such as Thor, but its especially apparent with Iron Man.

TL : DR A good villain needs relatable/understandable motives and goals, shouldn't be redeemed for the sake of doing so, and should have some kind of connection to the protagonist.

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
my favorite villains will always be Gul Dukat from DS9 and Gin Ichimaru from Bleach.
Dukat figuratively and literally sold his soul to the devil, in order to protect his family and get revenge on whom he believed was the cause of all his misfortune.
and Gin, he outsmarted the smart-ass.... enough said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just a heads-up that Slip into Ruby and Jump into Javascript might be a bit slow for now while I'm on the team porting the YEP plugins to VisuStella's MZ suite.
So I managed to build a teleport skill. You can see the progression in the development topic
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/in-dev-multi-hit-target-selection.125049/

Here's how it looks:

But the real question is, can I pull off FF8?

I love these little slime battlers. Really wish I could find more animated ones :'(
The curse of retail: you get ideas, you want to make something with those ideas, but because you're always at friggin' work you can't actually do anything with them.
Quexp wrote on lumimae's profile.
Welcome! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dealdeg