Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hiya! It's been forever since I've made a thread. :kaoswt: But anyway, while I'm wimpy as heck, I'm always up for the challenge of horror games! My favourite has to be Bendy and the Ink Machine, old cartoons are already creepy to me, since they're colourless, now they're coming to life with a crazy ink machine gone wrong? That's terrifying! :oswt:

But anyway, what are you guys' favourite(s)? I bet they'll be scarier than mine haha. :owink:

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Clock Tower First Fear, also first horror game I ever played, it's an oldie (released on the Snes and was never released outside Japan) but it's REALLY good, starts building the scary atmosphere from the titlescreen.
I'm starting to play the (direct) sequel and from the little bit I've played, I really enjoyed that one too. (gonna stop now as I can ramble 'bout CT for a while ;P)

AskaRay

Tired Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Gotta love me some Silent Hill 2 and 3.
My friends and I also played the Penumbra series, scary as hell and didn't make the walk back to my dorm room any better (I lived past the conveniently not lit dark forest aw yeah).

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't enjoy playing horror game, not because of the horror element, but because of irritating mechanics. They either have frustrating puzzles (I hate puzzles in games) or they have terrible controls and camera angles; sometimes a mixture of these things. I enjoy feeling tense in a game, so long as it's not because of worrying about whether or not the terrible controls will get me killed. xD

Saying that, I did enjoy Amnesia, for the most part. Never enjoyed any of the Resident Evil games. Never enjoyed the Silent Hill games, but liked the stories and monsters in them; so I just watched playthroughs of them. I enjoyed some smaller indie horror games which were more about psychological horror, too. Town of Light was pretty good, as was Stairs. I also enjoyed the Doorways games; mostly the first game which had a very surreal and otherworldly feel about it. I also greatly enjoyed Layers of Fear.

My favourite horror game (more of an interactive horror movie) is Until Dawn, though. I loved every second of that game.

Shugo

Low Life Hiomaika Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm pretty bad at handling horror games and barely play them, but Resident Evil 3 has a special place for me (even if I had to watch others play mostly, since I froze every time I tried to play it myself).

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I second clock tower especialy CT3.

Do you mean CT 2(3) or 3(4)? As the numbers are one higher than what the box/game says (1 is 2, 2 is 3 and 3 is 4) because if you mean 2(3) than I might give that one a try as well, however I haven't heard much good about 3(4)

Final_zero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do you mean CT 2(3) or 3(4)?
It is clock tower 3. They have 3 games in the series and one spinn off weird thing called the fear within. Technicly the 4th game is hunting ground, Or so I'm told, I have seen hunting ground on yt

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Resident Evil 2 was the first horror game I played, and is my favorite. But I have to admit that Silent Hill is much more terrifying than anything else I played so far.

Edit: I just remembered that Legend of Legaia had a lot of horror elements in the story, I got a bit scared to play that game in my teenhood.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Final_zero there are four games in the series and two spiritual sequels
Clocktower (also known as First Fear) was released in 1995 (only in Japan)
Clocktower 2 a direct sequel to the first game and was released in 1996 (Japan) 1997 (NA) and 1998 (elsewhere)
Clocktower Ghost Head also know as Clocktower II the struggle within is the 3rd game in the series and changes both the protagonist and the gameplay. It was released in 1998 in Japan and 1999 in NA (Europe didn't see a release of the one)
Then the final game in the series proper is Clocktower 3 which was released in 2002 & 2003
Haunting ground was the first spiritual sequel and was originally going to be a part of the series proper but that changes during development
And the second spiritual sequel and most recent game was Nightcry

Blackyu

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I absolutely adore the horror genre. Most games that have left an impression on me are classics or horror ones. Instead of writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of "OMG I LOVE THIS AND I LOVE THAT CUZ HORROR & I LUVS IT <333", I'll just copy & paste something I've written in the thread "Games that had a powerful effect on you":

"Horror RPGs : Back to praising stuff ! I used Horror RPGs here, but by that I mean the famous ones, such as Mad Father, Ib, The Witch's House, Misao, Paranoiac, and all the rest ! They got me into the Horror Genre as well as RPG Maker, and I seriously love how, using such a simple engine like RPG Maker, they ended up with polished and independent games. Seriously, I would love to make something like that one day. And that's probably why I'm jealous... :c
  • Layers of Fear : Still in the horror genre, we have this game. It's an atmosphere-based mostly discovering-adventure game. And oh boy does this game have GRAPHICS !! The 3D team is just AMAZING !! If you're an atmosphere horror game fan, this is THE game for you. And, after seeing the ending, I had my MIND BLOWN. Layers of Fear is worth checking out !
  • Until Dawn : Yay, more horror games ! And this one is my 2nd favorite. A glorious title, and the reason why is in its selling point : "A game where all your choices matter." They're not lying, choices really matter, and the whole game is based on the butterfly effect triggered. Seriously, the story and the characters are well-thought, everything makes sense at the end, and when you get a perfect ending with nobody dying, you just feel incredible. It's an example of a very good modern horror game that isn't a RPG or an action-survival based (I'm looking at you, The Evil Within !).
  • Corpse Party : BloodCovered : If I didn't put this game in the Horror RPGs genre, it's for a reason. It's because it's my all-time favorite horror game. Everything about this game is just PURE PERFECTION ! If I had ONE game project to absolutely make, it would be this one ! Even though Corpse Party has Sequels (CP : Book of Shadows, CP : Blood Drive and CP 2 : Dead Patient), none of them can make up to BloodCovered. This here is the TRUE spirit of Horror-Adventure-RPG Games, the essence of it ! With truly outstanding originality, one of the pioneers of horror, made in RPG Maker. And I most probably idolize it because I know I'm NEVER gonna reach such an advanced level of incredible game development... XD"

I also love OutLast games. Especially the first one. The second one is creepy too, but the narration could be done better. Most players have missed crucial hidden information during the game and couldn't make sense of the ending with what they had. I had to look up on the wiki to get the lore of the game, and forcing the player to thouroughly search the environments to look for notes or record things and get insanely little or insanely big pieces of information feels kinda wrong. I did enjoy it anyway, but I still prefer the first one.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Final_zero It's main series. I personally split the series in two based on protagonist, theres the Jennifer games (Clocktower FF & 2) and the Alyssa games (Clocktower SW & 3) mainly because the last two have nothing to do with the original two (or each other)

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I used to love horror games but haven't really played any recently. All the silent hills are good, resident evil 3 is pretty tense, though as a horror genre I always thought it peaked there, 4 turned me off from the series and 5-6 both looked too action oriented to me. though 7 has me reconsidering the series a little, not enough to go full price though.

I've had until dawn for a while now, but haven't gotten around to play it yet, will have to find a good quiet evening for that, or forget about it again.

BH Daimaouji

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RM2k
NES's Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm's street, cool games, even thought they never apeared offically in Europe

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Silent Hill 2 by a mile.

Resi 7 is next for me, the whole thing in VR was just surreal. Not even the jump scare or gory bits, just the whole creepy vibe of exploring the house.
where you have to go up to Evie's room in the old house after you kill mommy. Thats just freaky as hell, the hair was standing on the back of my neck. Awesome.

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The original silent hill and it's blinding darkness always keep me edgy and paranoid. It only got worse when I got into the sewers.

BlueMoon

Nebula Games Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, I loved the first Resident Evil trilogy at the time, I played them on the original PSX and when I think about Nemesis in Re 3 my skin crawls. But I appreciated also games like Silent Hill and I don't know if someone of you remember Parasite Eve... Oh, bad memories playing it at midnight. Talking about RM games, I liked Corpse Party's games as well and last year I enjoyed playing "The Crooked Man" and sequels made in Wolf Rpg Editor. :kaojoy:

PixelGeek93

Student of Art
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not really big on games (or movies, for that matter) with a lot of jump scares, so, I really liked Eternal Darkness. The insanity effects made for a really interesting and original gameplay experience. Also, lesser known (I think), The Starship Damrey, which is in the 3DS e-shop, is a delightfully creepy game. I think what makes it work is the long stretches of nothing but dark corridors with nothing but the slow creaaaak ship's engine for noise. :kaoback:

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Euphoria I guess. But its an adult visualnovel. It had a great plot an I loved the music an characters especially Makiba chan. IBs allso a favorite yo.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.
I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leolotus