FEAR & HUNGER - THE FULL VERSION RELEASE (WARNING: DISTURBING MATERIAL) VERSION 1.4.0 UPDATE!

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses

FEAR & HUNGER - VERSION 1.4.0 IS OUT!

It’s finally here! The full version of Fear & Hunger. After two years of development time the game is finally at a state that can be called a full game. It has been no easy two years by any stretch. As a solo developer behind this game, it has taken its toll on my social life and my wallet. And that is one of the reasons I’m going commercial with this game now. The world of Fear & Hunger begs for more content and I wish I could continue expanding the lore and its world with future installments with similar commitment of time and resources.

The previous demo version already offers a large portion of what the full version has in store, but I’d estimate that the full game is roughly double the size and even the previously existing areas are tweaked and updated with this release. The game has new enemies, new characters, new magic and skills, new gameplay additions, plenty of new areas, more story, more lore, more everything. There are 5 distinct and different endings. Even more if you count some character specific variations. The game keeps up with its grueling difficulty and some of the bosses that are waiting for the poor souls that dwell too deep are the biggest challenges in the game yet.

I will continue with Fear & Hunger for sure. There are bound to be loads of bugs to fix at the very least, but I also plan on tweaking things once I get a better idea on the overall reception of the game and what needs balancing and what needs to be more difficult. In any case, I hope the game is worth the wait for all of you!

SHORT SUMMARY:

Fear & Hunger is a horror dungeon crawler set in the dark and hopeless dungeons of fear and hunger. Four misfortuned adventurers dwell deeper and deeper to the darkness and uncover the secrets this ancient fortress holds inside. The fortress works as an ancient nexus for different planes of existence. The depths are in an eternal turmoil as both old and new gods struggle for power, it’s up to the players to choose their position and stance in all of this.

The game is a hybrid of survival horror and dungeon crawler genres with its influences ranging from Silent Hill to Nethack. There are roguelike elements to the game as well as a heavy foundation of a j-RPG. Fear & Hunger is heavy on atmosphere and ruthless in its difficulty.

MAIN CHARACTERS
  • Mercenary - Mercenary enters the dungeons as a hired sword, he is meant to rescue a captive from the prisons.
  • Knight - Knight enters the dungeons in hopes of saving her charismatic leader of the band of holy knights who is held captive in the prisons.
  • Dark priest - Dark priest enters the dungeons in search for greater knowledge. To surpass humanity.
  • Outlander - Simple story of revenge. Outlander lost everything, the person to answer can be found in the dungeons.
FEATURES:
  • Oppressive and relentless atmosphere
  • 4 different character classes and many additional characters to recruit
  • Unforgiving and unique gameplay
  • Randomized elements to keep the game fresh with subsequent playthroughs
  • Turn-based Strategic Dismember Combat System
  • Graphical art style mixing pixel art with digital painting
  • Original ambient soundtrack creating the dreary mood

The world of Fear & Hunger is VERY dark. THE GAME IS MEANT ONLY FOR MATURE AUDIENCES! Extreme violence and gore are everyday sights in the dungeons and death is one of the easier ways to go in the game. The game has drug and substance abuse, heavy themes ranging from self-mutilation to sexual violence. None of the themes are taken lightly however. They are all part of the world building and there to create the unique atmosphere where the game measures just how far the player is willing to go in order to survive.

Parts of the dungeon layout, events, loot and enemy placements are randomized with few different variations to keep things fresh with subsequent playthroughs. The game is designed with the classic trial and error formula, so you can expect to start the game over and over again. But as long as you learn from your mistakes, you can quickly find yourself at the deeper levels of the dungeon.

The combat in Fear & Hunger is turn-based akin to classic role-playing games, but with a twist of it’s own. You can target individual limbs of your enemies to dismember them strategically and thus maximize your chances for survival. However, just the same, enemies can also cut off the arms and the legs of your playable characters if you are not careful. You need to prepare well for every encounter if you wish to stay alive. But don’t forget that running away from threats is often the best solution as well. There are many ways for survival in Fear & Hunger - You can find better equipment, learn different blood and love magic, fuse characters into each other, pray different gods, talk your way out of battles, meet new party members, snipe enemies from distance, use traps to disable them… and so on. The Idea is to use what you got at your disposal and be creative with it.

DOWNLOADS:

The game can be bought from Steam, Itch.io and Gamejolt, or you can give the demo version a try for free!
https://mirohaver.itch.io/fear-hunger
https://gamejolt.com/games/fear_and_hunger/343214

Hope you guys like the game!

SCREENSHOTS (Contains nudity and pretty grotesque stuff):

CREDITS

Graphics, sound design, development, writing and pretty much everything
Miro Haverinen

Additional Animations
Jay525

Additional Music with the F&H logo
Ghostpocalypse - 5 Apotheosis
Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Game Testing
Jacob Hunt
necrile
kumada
Mask
+ countless people on rpgmaker.net and
Fear & Hunger’s discord channel

Discord channel
Jacob Hunt

Brainstorming and design
Mask
The original dungeon crawlers Jay 525, Lauri and Sonja
+ countless others

Plugins and additional coding:
Yanfly Engine Plugins
Atreyo Ray
Terrax
Izyees Fariz
Galv
Denis Kuznetsov
Victor Sant
Hime
Tor Damian Design / Galenmerth

Special thanks to Neco the Sergal and RiskRim (Check out their Youtube channels!) and everyone who has been supporting the game since the last version. I’m so sorry if I forgot to mention you here!

Last edited:

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks great! I've got my copy. Will play it and let you know what I think. Great visuals!

RMZenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Why not on steam, tho?
I mean this definitely looks like most steam-legit RM game I've ever seen and it just humbly resign to ichio? Hmm..

Although I probably not gonna buy your game simply because it's not my element, but I hope best of luck for your game.

DGM

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Just tried the demo after seeing this mentioned on RPS. I'm afraid the combat comes across as silly. I tried a knight and found that even after cutting both hands and the stinger off of guards they were still able to tackle me for over 30% damage. Through PLATE MAIL. Then I disabled both legs and they were STILL body-slamming me for that amount even though they had nothing but a torso and a head left. This doesn't fit with a system that lets me cripple enemy limbs and I'm not terrified so much as rolling my eyes. Realistically deadly combat could work but it needs to cut both ways.

It's an interesting concept and I wish you luck with the game, but no sale from me.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just bought your game at full price today (a day after buying RPGM MZ) and I can say that your game is amazing. I saw it featured on Steam and checked some videos on YouTube and it was even better than I ever thought.

I didn’t expect to ever see such great game made with RPG Maker. You obviously use additional coding and art to make it looks comple. The game change every times. I have been pleasantly surprised by the choices I was given so far.

I though we could only make such game with Game Maker Studio 2 that I also purchased about one years ago, but I was sticking to RPG Maker MV, because it was easier for me.

The best thing I like about your game are the graphic, it remains me of the Japanese Artist named Yoshitaka Amano who draw the artwork of Final Fantasy VI and, of course, all the possibilities.

Tge God named Alll-Mer made me think of Jesus Christ somehow. His story has some similarities.

Anyway I’m sure your gave give inspiration to many people, and now I know we can create such great game alone within two years, it motivate me to create my own game.

I have seen somewhere that you were about to create a sequel to your game. Is it true? When will it be released? I’ll wishlist it and get it for sure, even is Early Access.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@EdenGenesisWs Oh hey I'm really glad you like the game! And yeah you can definitely create even more impressive games than F&H on RPG Maker if you put the effort in. There's great potential in RPG Maker for sure.

I personally don't know much about coding, so the game was built using lots of plugins and I also made many of the custom features myself by using the commands RPG Maker has available. Like the battle system, skill system, hunger & fear system, etc. were all made with a clever use of RPG Maker's own features.

All the graphics (apart from few animations) were made by me and Yoshitaka Amano definitely is one of my main influences. But Ayami Kojima is even bigger and more obvious influence I think.

Alll-mer and Jesus Christ do have quite few similarities, yeah... (coincidence?)

You can find a playable demo of the sequel from these forums actually.
The sequel is called Fear & Hunger: Termina and I'm working hard to get it done soon-ish. There is also an update coming to the first game very soon (next week hopefully?) If you liked the first game, try the sequel too! I'd love to hear feedback. I think it's more polished game in many ways already. The demo has few hours of gameplay.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you so much for your prompt reply, orange~ I'm glad you replied to my message. I didn't expect you'd reply to me actually. I do really appreciate it.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the coin flip system which in most cases generates Perma-death.
The fact that there are no saves (I heard about an item that allows us to save), makes the game even more difficult, but I love the atmosphere and the characters encountered.

I'm glad to hear that a sequel is almost over. Are you going to sell it on Steam? Does selling a game on Steam cost you something?
I guess they take a commission on every sale.

I now own RPG Maker MZ but I also have MV and Game Studio Maker 2, not to mention Pixel Game Maker MV and SRPG Studio, I also have software for creating Visual Novel like Visual Novel Maker and dinoBuilder Visual Novel Studio.

But I still spend more time on RPG Maker, especially the XP that a friend had a few years ago.

I admit to having had a priori on the games created for RPG Maker, but seeing your games and the Sometimes Always Monsters and Always Sometimes Monsters games, I started to think to myself that it may be possible to create complex games with this tool and that I could take the necessary time to learn how to use this tool.

About 4 months ago, I bought a software called Articy: draft 3 to write my story in it, it seems that it is mostly done in unity, but it would also be usable with RPG Maker. I got to know this software thanks to the game developer Ash Of Gods who used it for the complex multi-choice scenario of their games.
I've been looking for something similar for a long time and version 3 included several additions that these developers had requested as an interactive map with important points to link to our scenario by clicks.

But when you work alone, as you did, it's not easy to do everything alone. I guess you have to pay dearly for the plugins and scripts used in your games.
Did you draw the characters yourself?

Regarding Ayami Kojima; I obviously love his Castlevania artworks.

I'll take a look at your new game, and hope I can buy myself a Steam copy as soon as possible. I am a huge fan of your work and have to say that I prefer your game to a lot of AAA games that I have played. We feel that you put a lot of heart and time into it! I hope to have lots of new surprises in the storyline and meet new people in the game.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello again,

I noticed your Discord invitation links you shared on Steam isn’t working.

Hope you can solve this issue soon. It’d be cool to exchange with you through Discord since I use it a lot.

grimf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I played this game about a year or 2 ago, Didn't know it was unfinished. This is a good game! I recommend getting it if you like dungeon crawlers, although it's very dark so I would avoid it if you can't handle very dark themes. (Lot's of gore and death and other things.)

Edit: Woops, just realized this post is 2 years old.. haha :hswt:

Last edited:

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@EdenGenesisWs I'll make a proper game page for the new game too on Steam once it's closer to completion. It costs like 100 dollars to put up a game on Steam and then they take 30% cut from every purchase, so yeah it's not exactly cheap, but Steam is the biggest platform by a landslide, so it is worth it.

The programs and engines you use to make games are not that important. The most important thing is what you create. RPG Maker has tons of limitations for sure, but it gets the job done as far as my vision is concerned. Many have told me to learn Unity, which I'm sure would make anything possible really, but I'm afraid what might happen if I didn't have the limitations of a RPG Maker. I'd probably still be making the core engine of the first game, slowly polishing it to be exactly what I'd want, instead of moving forward. I really believe limitations feed creativity, but I'm sure there are tons of people who disagree with that.

I've never even heard of Articy... it's a writing program?

The plugins cost me next to nothing. I just used plugins that the wonderful people in the rpg maker community have made for everyone to use. There were a couple of plugins I paid for and I also donated some dollars, because all those people certainly deserve to get something for their efforts, but it's nothing really.

All art is done by me. Characters, title screens, backgrounds, tilesets... The only area where I got help was with the animations. A friend of mine did a handful of animations for the game. Pretty much the best looking animations in the game are done by him, the rest are again by me.

the discord link: https://discord.gg/bJES7Sp

@grimf It was probably the full game already at the time. There has been some updates since, but the overall experience is close to the same I'd imagine.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As always, thanks for your responses @orange~ thanks to you, besides being able to play great games, I am learning a little more about Steam. I guess GOG or other online sales platforms aren't far behind in terms of the cost of selling your games.
I have to admit, I didn't expect the price to be around $100, but I guess the return on investment (ROI) was worth it.

You are absolutely right about the choice of your working tool, the more possibilities the tool offers and the more you focus on the form to the detriment of the content.

Regarding Articy Draft 3, it's the solution for interactive storytelling and game content management. I would summarize that it's a perfect tool for creating Visual Novels or RPGs. Besides, I had been looking for a long time for a tool to write stories for non-linear scenarios because in a game, what I like above all is its complexity and the multiple-choice dialogues. However, when working on a complex, multiple-choice game, it is important to check that the scenario holds up well and that depending on the choices made by the player, the consequences following the decisions are taken into account. , and Articy is the perfect tool to visualize the dialogues and, from what I understand, to simulate the decisions to make sure that everything fine and that there are no scriptwriting issues or other errors. . Then you can Import all Articy: draft 3 content directly into your game engine of choice in an easy and streamlined way using their integration tools. We can export in {JSON} format which seems to me to be the format compatible with RPG Maker, but I could be wrong ...

Although I bought Articy Draft 3, I haven't had a chance to use it fully yet. I want to work on the script first. There are several software for this, like Campfire or Scrivener.

In any case, with your game, I regained hope in creating good games with RPG Maker. Although a lot of people like games like "Fly to the moon", I'm more of the "Lisa" and "Fear & Hunger" type. I also liked the "Undertale" and "Viviette" games but when I learned that they had been made with Game Maker Studio 2, I became interested in this Game Engine and bought the version to create PC, Mac and Linux games (for online games or consoles, you have to pay other licenses, each rather expensive for simple beginners like me).

Anyway, when I see the feats that you are capable of with "Fear & Hunger", I tell myself that it is quite possible to create very good games with RPGM MZ.
On the other hand, the only Plugins that I have seen so far are those from the Yanfly.moe site and they are not free.
Besides, how does it work in terms of copyright? If you are using a plugin, do you have to cite the author in the game or at least ask for permission to use the plugin in your commercial game?

Since RPG Maker uses JavaScript, I had in the optics to learn this computer language in addition to GML (Game Maker) but I did not find an interesting and appropriate source for my needs apart from a few books not easily digestible and the CodeCombat site which allows you to learn while having fun, but it remains very simplistic.

It's a shame that unlike GMS2, RPG Maker lacks detailed documentation for programming in javascript or creating scripts and plugins for our games, but I guess the basics are explained in the short tutorial.

Not having finished Fear & Hunger, can I still test Termina without spoiling myself? I saw a video and it is several centuries after the first opus which was in the middle ages. I have the impression that your new inspirations have been, this time, games like Persona or Danganronpa ... but I may be wrong ...

In any case, you make me want to get started more and more. Until now, I have had the syndrome of the blank page and I have not made any progress in my projects ... I must say that I am too scattered. I should start focusing on one program and dealing with others only when the time is right.

Before I finished, I saw that your game was only sold on Steam very late (certainly due to the fees imposed) and I noticed that you were initially selling it on Itch.io, a platform that I know well. because I bought "brush" and "skeleton" for the "Paint Studio Pro / Ex" software. The insertion costs must be much more affordable. How many games have you sold on Itch.io compared to Steam?
I think I know you sold the most on Steam, are you considering a Nintendo Switch port? I would have bought it with my eyes closed on. I think that would be perfect for the portable console.

Last edited:

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@EdenGenesisWs There are tons of plugins on these forums already. I recommend taking a look at them. Also some of Yanfly's plugins are still free. Just make sure the author is fine with commercial use (if that's what you're going for) and you're good. Usually people want credit too and obviously it's just nice thing to give credit even when it's not a required.

I personally have no talents in coding, so I wouldn't know how people get learn RPG Maker's structure, but you can always ask. The community is very helpful and there are many who are eager to help those in trouble.

Everyone works differently so it's hard to give good advice in how to stay motivated. I'd recommend just starting a project and working towards small goals. First make a demo, then maybe another more defined demo when your concept is more clear and then eventually work towards the full game. I could never work on these games if my eyes were only set in the end goal of having a finished product. It's very long road to that. Working towards milestones is better anyway, it allows the project to breath a little. You can always see what works and what doesn't and tweak the game accordingly.

Itch.io doesn't have insertion costs and they only take a small cut from each purchase, so it's more developer friendly for sure. Also setting up a game page is a lot simpler. I don't remember the exact numbers but Steam vs Itch.io sales ratio for me is like 10-1 or something. As I said, Steam is a must have platform for commercial projects. There's no competition.

Nintendo Switch port is something that many have been asking for but it's not that simple. There is no easy way to port RPG Maker games to Switch. The easiest way would probably be remaking the entire game on another engine to be honest. It's something to consider if you really want your game on the Switch. I'm sure there's a large audience on Switch, but I enjoy making games more than I enjoy all that extra stuff. That's why I'm moving forward to making more games instead of focusing in getting my one game to all possible platforms. It might be something I'd consider later on down the road if I'd have enough money to hire someone to port my games, but I wouldn't go about it on my own. Also I heard getting your game to Switch costs a lot. (like 1000 dollars or something)

Oh yeah, and you can definitely try the F&H: Termina demo even without playing the first game. It doesn't spoil anything really. There are some connections to the first game so you'll know more about the world if you've played F&H 1, but the story is stand-alone. Persona has influenced F&H: Termina, but I'd say Persona's mother series Shin Megami Tensei is a lot bigger influence. I've never played or seen Danganronpa beyond the first few hours so I cannot say that it would have much influence over the game.

Last edited:

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
A new version is out!

List of general updates:
- Fixes and tweaks
- Torch/Darkness mechanic
- Terror & Starvation mode
- Added Sanity mechanics and scenes
- Miasma nerf/new mechanic
- small events with Embryo and Harvestman

Updates exclusive to Terror & Starvation mode:
- The extra boss of the void is now Terror & Starvation only
- lots of little bull****
- small events with Crow Mauler and Black Witch
- 2 new enemies (variations of existing ones - kinda)
- tougher enemies and harder to run away
- inclusion of rotten food

The biggest update is the torch system. It doesn't have a big impact to the normal mode (Fear & Hunger mode), but the update also introduces a new difficulty mode (Terror & Starvation) where you cannot see much without a torch. This introduces a new level of resource management to the game, where you sometimes have to sacrifice much needed cloth fragments for light. In my opinion it makes the game more interesting. Of course if you felt the game was stressful enough as it was, the previous mode is still available. No worries there.

With the torch mechanic making things a bit more difficult, I decided to go all in with the new difficulty mode and added lots of small bull**** every here and there. They've been scattered around the dungeons from level 1 all the way to the ancient city. I'm afraid very few of the new features make things easier for you :-/

Along with the new torch mechanic, the fear mechanic has seen some fleshing out. Now if your party members are low(-ish) on Mind they might in certain places drop out of the party. You and your party members can try to persuade them to continue, but at some point they will give in to the darkness if things continue the same.

There is a Miasma event similar to the fear mechanic too which has different outcomes with different characters.

Oh yeah and I also added some Filter Effects to certain areas. I'm not sure how big of an impact they will have on the performance, but you can always disable them from the menu!

Aaron

Code Mage Unproductive Bard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Meant to post here after our conversation the other day but was held up a bit by personal matters.

As I was saying in our previous conversation, I like the inspiration behind your game. At face value I also like the mechanics your game has. I forgot if you said the game has permadeath or not. As for your latest update, is the new difficulty a much harder one? Permadeath and impossible difficulties are the best ways to play a game after all.
:XP03:

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Aaron There are 3 difficulty modes. Fear & Hunger, Terror & Starvation and Hard mode. They go from normal to the hardest in that order.

The hard mode doesn't allow you to save, so you only get one chance to play through the game. So permadeath I guess. The hard mode has all the difficulty enhancing features of the Terror & Starvation mode, but it also removes the possibility of recruiting other human characters (which makes things a lot harder in this game) To motivate people, the 'best' endings are hidden in this mode.

The other modes don't have permadeath, but saves are very limited until you reach the second half of the game where things change a little. I designed the game so that it should be played like a roguelike in the beginning, encouraging people to start over many times with randomized elements keeping the experience fresh.

Some people have jumped straight to the Hard mode, but it's a very different experience compared to the other two modes. It lacks some of the story elements because there are no companions. I'd probably suggest Terror & Starvation mode. But it's anyone's choice to pick what they want.

namarang

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
persion
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I just started this game and I am still at the beginning of the road, I will use your point of view and then I will ask my comments and questions.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@namarang good luck out there! The difficulty curve can be a bit intimidating at first, but it gets easier once things click.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello orange~ I have been quite busy lately and noticed you replied to my messages.

Yesterday, I downloaded the RPG Maker MV Player for free on the Nintendo Switch eShop, it is said to read RPG Maker games, but I'm wondering if we can play Fear & Hunger on it.

By the way, I really enjoyed playing Fear & Hunger : Termina, it takes place about a century later and when playing I noticed a lot of differences from the old video I saw on YouTube.

I can't help but be amazed at the way you create your video games. To hear you, one might think that it is simple to create a game whereas when someone has set foot in it, he quickly realizes the work that it takes to create a suitable game, and with no intention to offend anyone, I must admit that compared to the many games created with RPG Maker that I had the misfortune to test, I never would have believed that it is possible to create a game as good as Fear & Hunger.

Especially concerning the creation of the characters, the settings and the scenario. Regarding these, I wonder how you manage to keep everything consistent. I'm not sure there are multiple choices in your games, however, with the generation of new dungeons, it feels like the game offers many different gaming experiences and has multiple endings depending on your game choices and characters with whom we advance in the adventure.

Regarding Termina, when will it be available for purchase? I really can't wait to buy it. I managed to advance in the game but since I cannot save, I have to start over each time. Nevertheless, I have the impression that there are multitudes of choices and I wonder how you could have created this atmosphere and so complex scenario all on your own.

I have a lot of ideas, and I like to create complex and well-made games, but the ideas come to me before the game is created. If I understood correctly, you create demos and then, when it works well, you think about a game. Do you write the story by feeling or do you work on it separately. By that I mean, do you do everything according to your mood at the moment or is everything well thought out and prepared so that it all comes together.

I think that when you work alone, the possibilities are enormous but we are limited in terms of implementing them. On the contrary, when working in a group, we can implement more things, however, we can disagree with the members of the team and it is necessary to find a compromise to move forward ...

In any case, you are an inspiration to me. Even though I am planning to move forward with Game Maker for now, I am still not forgetting RPG Maker MV / MZ and Pixel Games Maker, because I have plenty of cool game ideas. (Also Visual Novel Maker but as I said, I haven't find out how to use it properly yet).

I'm going to try to take a closer look at Articy Draft 3 which I told you about last time because it allows you to write complex multi-branch scenarios. I love being able to influence the scenario of a game. I don't really like linear scenarios even if some games are more gameplay oriented than scenario ...

Anyway, I can't wait to buy Fear & Hunger: Termina. I guess the playable version isn't finished and therefore I couldn't finish the game with any of the playable characters. I noticed that there were 2 more characters since the last video I saw, and the character with a moon head looks very interesting to me, he wasn't in the old video , I had just seen the janitor (the one who imputes our legs when we are not nice lol).

If you had to put a % to represent the degree of completion of your game, what would it be? How much will you charge for it? Will you work on DLC? (I suppose it's not easy to add DLC in a finished game...).

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@EdenGenesisWs oh wow, that's quite few questions.. : D

I don't know how the RPG Maker MV Player works. This is actually the first time hearing about such thing. I don't have Switch, so can't really help there.

I agree that making a game is a lot more intimidating once you understand everything that goes into it. Don't let that stop you though. Just tackle each challenge as it comes and you'll do fine.

I don't really have any particular ways to keep things consistent. It's all in my head, but there are times where my head fails, but luckily the people playing the games let me know when that happens. The first game is pretty simple when you strip all the extras away, so it's not too difficult to keep track of most of the stuff. With Termina, there will be more convoluted character interactions which might prove out to be really troublesome to create... I haven't fully gotten into that yet, so I'm hoping it will go smoothly though.

I'm guessing everyone has their own way of making games, so I'd recommend just doing what works for you the best. I do very little planning when I set out to make these games. For me the most important things to be clear before starting development are: 1. What I want to tell with the game? 2. What is the end point where everything is leading? 3. I need to have a pretty clear visualization in my head on what the overall feel of the game is and how it plays. If it's fun to play in my head, I think it'll turn out okay. Most of the actual content I make up on the fly while making the game. For me this works the best, because I consider player feedback a lot and also the best ideas come to me during the development, so it's good that things aren't too set in stone so I can still do even bigger changes.

To be honest, I think Game Maker is the wiser choice for sure. If you are feeling inspired, just go for it! Every day you're working on the game, is a day closer for its completion. The best tip I can give is that you work your ass off for few months and then you've already put so many hours into the development that it would be waste to not finish the game. That forces you through occasional motivation pitfalls.

As for Termina's release date - I'm not sure yet. Things are looking alright and I'm happy with the direction it's going. I've been able to iron most of the stuff out that irked me. I've previously said it could be released in december of this year, but I think it'll be delayed to next year. Can't really say %s because I still haven't decided fully on what's to come. I won't have any paid DLC. I will most likely add content later on with updates, just like I've done with the first game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I always told my DA fans how much I hate slot machines. They're fine in games as a risk-and-reward system. But when you're spending REAL MONEY in a Vegas casino to try and hit the jackpot (which very, very few people will), it can really hurt your budget. Gambling is a bad habit, and I don't like wasting my money on a slim chance. Go to Vegas for the experience, not the jackpot.
Took the kids to a corn maze. They gave us a map and had lights at certain points in the maze. Not overwhelming... or underwhelming... just... whelming.
Okay, vacuuming fruit flies out of the air is surprisingly effective.
Finally finished my menu redesign after like a month of coding! I hate designing menus... Good news though - I thought of a complete redesign for it now, so yay...
Still no scam calls all day... also I got a quick gig designing a mascot drawing for a small business, so I might actually make some green of my own after all. That would be a perfect job for me, since I love art and digital design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuitonKoton