FEAR & HUNGER - THE FULL VERSION RELEASE (WARNING: DISTURBING MATERIAL) VERSION 1.4.0 UPDATE!

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love the Darkest Dungeon rogue-like vibe you've got going on here. I'm gonna add this to my watch list and pick it up when I get a chance.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello @orange~ !

While Game Maker Studio 2 is a smart choice, it's also the one that I think has the longest learning curve. And therefore, demand, on my part, a lot of time.

Unlike an RPG Maker which already offers a graphic style and a gameplay system, in Game Maker Studio 2, you have to do everything yourself (this is not totally true because they have planned a system without coding for new creators, but the latter is very limited and does not, in my opinion, create the game I want).

I would have liked to have created a video game based on a historical manga. The latter is not very popular, but is one of my favorites. I guess I can either take inspiration from it or ask for the rights to its author and publishing house but it shouldn't be free...

In any case, just making the game, even for me, without selling it, would already be great, and if as a bonus, I have the permission to put it on sale, that would be the icing on the cake.

Anyway, coming back to Fear & Hunger, I can't wait to buy Termina. I don't know if you have made a new update and if its content will be very different from the final version. I don't even know if there is an end to this version. Nonetheless, I had a great time in Termina, but if I have to wait, I'll try to finish Fear & Hunger first in the name first.
Seeing the Steam Statistics, I was surprised at the time spent on the game, even if it did not reach a Battle Brother (278h), Dark Woord (125h), Oxygen Not Included (122h) or even a Crusader King 3 (72h) recently acquired or the excellent BattleTech (59h), it remains in the Top 20 of the games I have played the most and it may reach the top 10 shortly.

Guess you're not interested in that, but I think it would have been perfect to sell Termina as Early Access on Steam and if that wasn't enough to cover the development costs, to offer a Developer Support DLC with an in-game addition offered. to generous donors as is the case in Battle Brother. That way I would be the first to buy a copy of the game and the DLC and I could play the latest versions of the game without having to log into itch.io to see if a new version is released or not...

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello again @orange~ !

I know that I have already asked several questions and that you must be fed up with me but I still have a few questions running through my head that I would like to ask you.

Indeed, I am intrigued by the design of your work. What software do you use to create your backgrounds and characters?
How to do when starting out to find the right shapes and the right measures?

I have tried Pyxel Edit, Aseprite, Photoshop, and many others, but I still have a problem knowing which dimensions to use.
Also, you don't see much of the pixels on your characters, whereas when you look at them closely, they are beautiful and well done in pixel.

I was considering taking an already created pixel and drawing inspiration from its size, however, I only found SD formats, so I want to keep my character size more realistic, much like yours.

You never think about it, but respect for the dimensions is essential. However, when I find myself facing this problem, I don't know where to start.
The characters I create have pixels that are too big, I would like them to be thinner, although visible. The proposed formats seem to be predefined and I'm not a big fan of big pixels, I want them to be big enough to offer a lot of detail on the characters created. Which is impossible with large pixels ...

I should have continued to train every day because I lost a lot during these few years without training ... Even if it's like cycling, it's still difficult. I hope to reach my old level to see an acceptable level to create the game I want.

Coming back to Fear & Hunger, I really think you should offer Termina as Early Access.
I'll be the first to buy it!
But if you didn't come up with it sooner, I guess you didn't plan on doing it ... Yet I think it would have allowed you to make a really good game.

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello @orange~ I'm sorry to be bothering you but I'm having a big problem since last update.
Today, I had some time to play your game on Steam and after the game start, and the logo "Happy Painting", the following error message appeared : "TypeError Cannot read property 'resolution' of undefined" as you can see on the following screenshot :

2020-10-20_17-37-04.jpg

No matter what I do, I can't play the game. Do you guys have similar problem and did you find a solution?

Thank you for you time and your precious help!

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@EdenGenesisWs sorry for taking a while before replying back!

I'll probably put Termina on Early Access, once I get the base game done. I'll leave few things out that would further delay the game and patch those in later on. So once I have the main chunk of the game done with few of the main endings.

All the graphics (backgrounds, characters, everything) are made in Adobe Photoshop. That's the program I'm most familiar with and I get the results I want, so I don't see a need to change. I don't really have any methods or theory behind crafting graphics. I just start drawing whatever I need and see how it comes up. I do look a lot of reference shots for backgrounds and stuff like wrinkles in clothing to give stuff a bit more realistic look.

The reason why pixels aren't too obvious in my sprites is because I use a lot of different opacity brushes and pens, so they blend in with the previous pixels. It's not really pixel art by purist standards, but at this point I don't really care. The only thing I'm interested is the end results and I'm happy with the way things look. I still got long ways to go before I'm 100% happy with my graphics, if there even is such point, my you gotta work with what you got. Just do your best, that's really all you can do.

Also, I haven't heard about that bug before. I'll have to look into it. Does it happen everytime you boot the game?

EdenGenesisWs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@orange~ thank you for your reply.
Don't worry, I know how busy you are with finalizing your future game.

I managed to solve my problem anyway by changing the Steam configuration directly, before launching the game. I just needed to change the resolution and now the problem has been fixed.
I had never had this bug before.

I'm happy to hear that you will be offering the game as Early Access on Steam. I would be the first to pay for my copy anyway! Don't hesitate to let me know when it's ready. By the way, how much will it cost?

I hadn't noticed that the graphics in your games were entirely done in Photoshop. But I still noticed that it was not really in pixel art, but rather in vector which is not to displease me, on the contrary.

Pixel art is good to avoid overloading the game engine, but you lose a lot in quality and detail, so I find your choice wise.

Personally, I still have as much trouble getting started in creating my game on GMS2 and RMMV/MZ, I'm asking myself too many questions. But if I have the chance to pay for an Adobe Photoshop license, creating sprites will certainly be easier than on Aseprite, Pro Motion Ng or Pyxel Edit and Spriter Pro. I had purchased them to help me create my sprites, but I am considering saving up to use Adobe Photoshop which I was using when I was studying graphics at the time..

Although I suck at Fear & Hunger totally, I continue to play it, even if I advanced not very far in the game, sometimes I can save my game by the greatest of luck and hasard when I find a scroll of enlightment, but I find it very rarely so, once I'm dead, I have to start everything from start. Surprisingly, it doesn't get on my serve thanks to the fact that the environment is different with each new game.

By the way in my last game, I don't know if it was voluntary on your part, but the design of the rooms was really great, the layout was almost perfect.
In any case, as one of the scrolls at the start of the game explains it so well: "death is the answer." lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy