RMMV FEAR & HUNGER - THE FULL VERSION RELEASE (WARNING: DISTURBING MATERIAL)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by orange~, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    [​IMG]

THE FULL VERSION IS OUT!

SHORT SUMMARY:

Fear & Hunger is a horror dungeon crawler set in the dark and hopeless dungeons of fear and hunger. Four misfortuned adventurers dwell deeper and deeper to the darkness and uncover the secrets this ancient fortress holds inside. The fortress works as an ancient nexus for different planes of existence. The depths are in an eternal turmoil as both old and new gods struggle for power, it’s up to the players to choose their position and stance in all of this.

The game is a hybrid of survival horror and dungeon crawler genres with its influences ranging from Silent Hill to Nethack. There are roguelike elements to the game as well as a heavy foundation of a j-RPG. Fear & Hunger is heavy on atmosphere and ruthless in its difficulty.

MAIN CHARACTERS
    • Mercenary - Mercenary enters the dungeons as a hired sword, he is meant to rescue a captive from the prisons.
    • Knight - Knight enters the dungeons in hopes of saving her charismatic leader of the band of holy knights who is held captive in the prisons.
    • Dark priest - Dark priest enters the dungeons in search for greater knowledge. To surpass humanity.
    • Outlander - Simple story of revenge. Outlander lost everything, the person to answer can be found in the dungeons.
    FEATURES:
    • Oppressive and relentless atmosphere
    • 4 different character classes and many additional characters to recruit
    • Unforgiving and unique gameplay
    • Randomized elements to keep the game fresh with subsequent playthroughs
    • Turn-based Strategic Dismember Combat System
    • Graphical art style mixing pixel art with digital painting
    • Original ambient soundtrack creating the dreary mood
    The world of Fear & Hunger is VERY dark. THE GAME IS MEANT ONLY FOR MATURE AUDIENCES! Extreme violence and gore are everyday sights in the dungeons and death is one of the easier ways to go in the game. The game has drug and substance abuse, heavy themes ranging from self-mutilation to sexual violence. None of the themes are taken lightly however. They are all part of the world building and there to create the unique atmosphere where the game measures just how far the player is willing to go in order to survive.

Parts of the dungeon layout, events, loot and enemy placements are randomized with few different variations to keep things fresh with subsequent playthroughs. The game is designed with the classic trial and error formula, so you can expect to start the game over and over again. But as long as you learn from your mistakes, you can quickly find yourself at the deeper levels of the dungeon.

The combat in Fear & Hunger is turn-based akin to classic role-playing games, but with a twist of it’s own. You can target individual limbs of your enemies to dismember them strategically and thus maximize your chances for survival. However, just the same, enemies can also cut off the arms and the legs of your playable characters if you are not careful. You need to prepare well for every encounter if you wish to stay alive. But don’t forget that running away from threats is often the best solution as well. There are many ways for survival in Fear & Hunger - You can find better equipment, learn different blood and love magic, fuse characters into each other, pray different gods, talk your way out of battles, meet new party members, snipe enemies from distance, use traps to disable them… and so on. The Idea is to use what you got at your disposal and be creative with it.

DOWNLOADS:

The game can be bought from Itchio and Gamejolt, or you can give the demo version a try for free!
    https://mirohaver.itch.io/fear-hunger
    https://gamejolt.com/games/fear_and_hunger/343214

Hope you guys like the game!

SCREENSHOTS (Contains nudity and pretty grotesque stuff):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Credits

Graphics, sound design, development, writing and pretty much everything
    Miro Haverinen

Additional Animations
    Jay525

Additional Music with the F&H logo
    Ghostpocalypse - 5 Apotheosis
    Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Game Testing
    Jacob Hunt
    necrile
    kumada
    Mask
    + countless people on rpgmaker.net and
    Fear & Hunger’s discord channel

Discord channel
    Jacob Hunt

Brainstorming and design
    Mask
    The original dungeon crawlers Jay 525, Lauri and Sonja
    + countless others

Plugins and additional coding:
    Yanfly Engine Plugins
    Atreyo Ray
    Terrax
    Izyees Fariz
    Galv
    Denis Kuznetsov
    Victor Sant
    Hime
    Tor Damian Design / Galenmerth

Special thanks to Neco the Sergal and RiskRim (Check out their Youtube channels!) and everyone who has been supporting the game since the last version. I’m so sorry if I forgot to mention you here!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I played through this and its great but I really, really don't like the coin toss mechanic in battle.

So after I saved the girl and made it out of the opening area I came upon some priests and battle began.
    During battle I tried talking to them to learn a bit about the game. After talking a bit about the Gods I chose I think the 3rd option, there was a bit of chatter than a coin toss. I lost... Game Over...

I just don't like the idea of success or death being in the hands of the gods for lack of a better word. Maybe I made a wrong choice in the talk mechanic, I'll never know because as far as I could make out I got G/O for losing a coin toss.

This kind of irritated me so much I walked away. I'll try again when I have time but imho putting a players G/O in a 50/50 coin toss is asking to anger players.

That said the game is fantastic, creepy and different for an RPG. Visuals and audio are fantastic and I'm quite interested in the story as the characters hooked me straight away.

orange~ likes this.
  3. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Yeaaaaa I feel you man! The coin toss is a bit too ruthless in the demo as it is. My idea is to give life or death situations more clear warning, so you could run away from the battle or something before it came to a coin toss. The demo has few coin tosses without any warning and I can definitely see how it's irritating. This is something I will definitely work on for later releases! The reason why it is like it is atm, is because I wanted to make the player kinda paranoid on every choice they make, but it doesn't really work if the player abandons the game :p

I'm glad you liked it otherwise! :) Really cool you appreciate the story and lore, as it's something I've actually put quite a lot of thought into, even though the game might not make it that clear yet.

4. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah it wouldn't make me abandon the game completely, just make me turn it off for a bit. I kind of had an idea from the text something bad was about to go down from the text and swinging lanterns, just wasn't sure what. Its a unique mechanic and hopefully there's a way you can implement it where the player feels like he's in complete control. Even maybe a tutorial battle that the player has to win where the idea is kind of explained.

Take for example an unavoidable battle with a single one of those priests or two, but the player is forced to make certain choices, follow a certain dialogue path, after a few lines he is warned about the coin toss, has to choose and no matter what he picks he auto wins (to survive), tutorial ends and the battle runs as normal. Just a little suggestion to prepare the player for it. It kind of came out of the blue that the coin would be tossed even though I had a feeling something bad was going down.

You've probably got this implemented already but I imagine certain dialogue choices etc.. lead to better odds of winning those tosses.

One other tiny thing but after my first battle I was wounded and never noticed, than I was constantly wondering why the play kept leaving blood drops on the floor, I thought they were like secrets and interactive parts so kept trying to click on them and never realised my health was going down for ages. Again I may have missed this and a little tutorial would make it much easier to know from the off for guys as slow as me.

Everything else is fantastic, on my second attempt now. I'll edit this post with my thoughts when I get through it.

5. Mister.Right

Mister.Right Veteran Veteran

I like game like Diablo, or Age of Conan (brutal, bloody, nudity). The art of your game looks really nice, rarely seen any game like yours. I would be awesome if it is action combat instead of turn based.

6. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I love it! It's remember me Dante's inferno, amazing project keep going.

7. Haydeos

Haydeos The Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This game genuinely looks dark/creepy, which is not easy for an RPGM game! Good job!

RocketKnight likes this.
  8. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    @padr81 I'm gonna tweak the mechanics for sure so that there is a little bit more warning. Although I'm kinda liking the mechanic in a way, because it forces people to come up with the best strategies to dismember opponents. But those priests are not meant to be so super aggressive with their one-hit kill. Dialogue will affect things. As it is in the demo, there are only few things it does, but I'll delve into it more for further releases. Glad you didn't completely abandon the game ^.^

@Mister.Right , I was thinking about more action oriented battles too. It would be pretty much a standard with modern roguelikes, but there are million different things and skills I want to pull off and thought turn based classic combat is the way to go.

@RocketKnight , yeaaa hey Dante's Inferno. The idea of this game is similar. You just go further down to a hell hole of sorts. I haven't played Dante's Inferno that much, but I think I should as I'm sure there's plenty of inspirational material there!

@Haydeos , thanks! I'm really trying to push the oppressive and hopeless feeling with this game, but there is only so much you can do with 2D sprites.

RocketKnight likes this.
  9. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I found glitches, like when you push the bookshelf, one of the halfs despairs and when you turn on the skull candles they kinda blink.
    Live isn't a dick, sooo don't take it so hard :rwink:, i like the lore you put into but i feel kinda lost; what the purpose of the girl?

orange~ likes this.
  10. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    The bookshelf I fixed already. Just gotta upload a new version online. The blinking skull candles is a bit weird one, but I'm aware of the bug too. Thanks for letting me know anyways!

The girl has few functions in the demo, but isn't fully featured yet. If you see a masked cat person, you can trade the girl for some goods, or you can sacrifice her on the ritual circle to get some magic..... or you could just let her live and help you in your fights. There is a weapon available for her too......

As for feeling lost-- just head deeper down to the dungeons, that's the only way. I'm sorry there is little to no motivation for main character at the moment, but the next demo will have more story. This was just a teaser demo to give a glimpse of the game and also for me to get some feedback on basic mechanics.

RocketKnight likes this.
  11. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I already made all of that! I love the game vibes and sometimes the lucky coin gets annoying (but that makes it fun). Good luck, i will wait for new updates.

orange~ likes this.
  12. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Hey! Just dropped in to say that I uploaded the latest version of the teaser demo. It's version 3 with lots of bug fixing done and few new features added. Namely the game is a little bit more fair now after I tweaked few fights, "love corner" is now fully functional with some improved animations and you can actually skip the intro now too!

I'm probably done with the teaser demo now and I'll be moving into adding bigger features and new areas to the game. Thanks for everyone's feedback. It's been really helpful!

RocketKnight likes this.
  13. RocketKnight

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've a question, the final version will be free?

14. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    I'm not sure yet. In a way it's full-time work making this game, as I'm currently doing graphics, game making, music and story.. Depending on how big this project gets, I might try to get some money out of it. But the next version of this game will be free no matter what. I intend to have all the features present in the next release and pretty good chunk of playable areas too. After that, I don't know yet.

RocketKnight likes this.
  15. InkPotion

InkPotion I've moved accounts! Now RunePotion. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am in love. This project is so aesthetically pleasing and interesting, games never spook me but it gives me a lovely amount of unease. I love the barely-there ambient music.
    Only thing that bothers me is the (I think default?) font.
    That coin toss too, but I can't seem to bring myself to dislike it haha.
    Great stuff!

orange~ likes this.
  16. RMZenith

RMZenith Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Looks like very serious attempt. Good luck! And surely looks gorgeous.

orange~ likes this.
  17. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    HEYY!! Just letting everyone know that the new version for the game is released!
    The game is at least double the size compared to previous version and there are tons of new systems. Hope you guys like it!

Trailer for the new demo:

Downloads:
    https://mirohaver.itch.io/fear-hunger

RocketKnight likes this.
  18. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't usually write feedback but your game is awesome. The artwork style itself is unique, charming,
    everything is just consistent, that goes for even small things like skill icon.
    I intent to record my first play and share here, but ... well, the game is a little too ... yeah disturbing as @orange~ said
    So i start the game with Knight class.
    At first scene, on the black screen, i heard some weird sound. I thought "Hey, this sound like ... ah not really, i think i got it wrong, it sound kinda like metal sounds now." - Oh well, after got defeated by the Giant Monster, i like "Wow, dayum ... so the sound i heard before was just as i thought @.@" and that when i decided to not post my firstplay video here
    After that i realized the Knight i played was a girl hmm ...

The game give me a feeling like i was just going around waiting to be killed, at the first encounter with a Giant monster,
    i picked "Talk" skill and thought that i may persuade him to stop, and that Monster replied me with a Slash, which cut off my Knight arm.
    Hell! Just at start of the game and lost an arm already, what else could be excepted than the death?

It's just my opinion but as a game lover i rate this game 10/10. Charming artwork style, great sound, great story/feeling, unique ...
    (this game remind me one of my favorite manga - Berserk :) )

RocketKnight likes this.
  19. orange~

orange~ Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Oops, I am sorry for updating the wrong post. I realized this needs to go to the completed games. My apologies!

20. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Good job with this one. I'm watching this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.