Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The only wide open mouth one seems like it's singing... I need one that looks surprised, a bit narrower... it's strange that mouths can be moved on the eyes, but somehow it can't be flexible, unless I'm missing something...?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
pictures are never flexible.

you can check that with any printed picture - you can move it around on your desk, but you can't change the expression you have on that printed picture - not unless you open the file in an image program, edit it and print it again.

and the character generator is not an image editor, it can only position images to create a collage of several images.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All it needed, though, is to use that offset tool to widen or make narrow, instead of going all over the place...

If I need to edit it are they available anywhere specifically?

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The images are located in the Generator folder of your MZ install path.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Even just copy/pasting a mouth from another image is so difficult... slightly different tone, so now it looks like there's some infection. -_-

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is why artists expect to be paid for their work - they put in a lot of time learning how to draw and paint correctly before making pieces.
No one starts out as perfect at anything, it always takes months of training to start getting good.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
But this is just about adjusting expressions... why should it be so difficult? Does everyone just give up and use the very limited ones offered by the software?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Seyfert
Pretty much.

People either
#1 Accept that they have to work with limited options
#2 Comission an artist to do it for them
#3 Learn how to do it themself.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One has got to do admit, then, that 'offset' is a candidate for the most useless tool ever... I seriously can't think of any circumstances when mouths and eyes need to combine, but somehow features themselves can't have relative offsets...

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So... I'm trying to load the image in the generator to possibly edit it, but like a Rubik's cube it keeps overwriting it instead with the current slot... :LZYugh:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One has got to do admit, then, that 'offset' is a candidate for the most useless tool ever... I seriously can't think of any circumstances when mouths and eyes need to combine, but somehow features themselves can't have relative offsets...
This complaint reads as really being rather silly.

The first part, adjusting the position of features on the face, absolutely makes them look different. You don't need to be so ridiculous as to combine the mouth and eyes to see an effect.

But the second part sounds like maybe you only have experience with 3D games, wherein you can adjust the shape of the underlying mesh and the texture will accommodate it on top (such as the character creation in any number of MMORPGs). This is because that texture is often a relatively small piece of artwork that's tiled over the surface of the model, so adding or removing sections doesn't create any noticeable glitches.

You can't just do that with 2D art based on pixels. Any adjustment to it will necessarily add or remove pixels, and when you're dealing with the scale we are, that can create extremely noticeable negative effects. Just load up any of the characters or generator parts in a regular image editor and rescale or resize it - you'll see that if you change it to a shape that it wasn't drawn in, you can almost always tell (heck, just resizing it in the same shape can look terrible).

And how would it work, anyway? If you say to make the mouth wider...do the extra pixels get added to the teeth, to make them wider? The image doesn't know where that is, so you'd need some kind of AI-style smart interpolator, otherwise it also increases the black pixels for the spaces between the teeth and you look like a malformed donkey.
Does it try to tile things and make more teeth? Extra partial teeth? All the same situation.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
en
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Had no idea there were such technical challenges... I tried to copy a new mouth on top of the old one and apart from a slight tone difference it is barely noticeable. Got the old mouth from another character I found online, I'm guessing whoever manually filled in the pixels then...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Feel free to check out our "Touch the Stars" gamejam submission, "Starlight, Starbright!"
just finished playing one shot. im kinda disappointed with return the sun ending ngl. i was hoping there would be some after credits scene that would play with my emotions
So apparently the surprise Google Search page browser game saves your progress when you close the browser.

This really makes me miss the golden age of Flash gaming.
ohh man im ending oneshot now (im doing the last stepping puzzle rn) and the music is so...sad...like...ive been thinking recently about how fast moments pass and...my anxious thoughts combined with that music and nostalgia...like...im comfortably sad...and want to cry internally
We're playing one of the Touch the Stars game jam entries, come join us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananansy