Features you'd like to see in an Adventure RPG?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Link, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Link

Link Hero of Slime Veteran

First Language:
    English/Engrish
    Well, I've been wanting to start work on my own RPG for quite some time now, but haven't had the time (nor the energy when I had the time) to do such a thing. So, finally I'm getting off of my 7 days a week work schedule and going to weekdays only (after 3 years of every day nonstop working), so I might actually get time to work on a game!

My biggest question is, what do you, as gamers, look for in adventure RPGs? Would you rather a turn-based combat system, or an intuitive action-based combat system? How about magic? Would you prefer being able to use magic to attack enemies, or as stat boosters only? How about ranged attacks? Would you prefer seeing a lot of nonessential items and weapons, or a select few entirely essential weapons (a la the Legend of Zelda style)?

How about graphics? As a 3D modeler, I've been thinking about doing pre-rendered characters and worlds (using Parallax mapping to handle the maps), or should I stick to the traditional spriting and pixelling?'

I'll probably ask more questions once I've got some opinions on these >.>

2. Acetonide

Acetonide Event Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Obviously this is only my opinion.. But I think it really depends on how it's done in all aspects an how well it's done. If it's good it doesn't matter for me, so I say stick to what you're good at.

But in general, I prefer real-time action based combat with projectile and magic as both attack and boosting of attributes (although I mostly use attack based ones and sometimes even skip out on defense). Both a lot of items and weapons or only a few essential ones could work depending on how you do it, because having a lot of weapons to chose from to differentiate to suit your playing style is good (in my opinion). Also it adds more complexity to a game [possibly], and having different weapons with different stats it also gives a way to improve your character on top of leveling.

I won't comment on the graphics though because that I strictly believe it's all a matter of doing what ever you have more talent with because as long as it's done well it doesn't matter.

3. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No opinion on the graphics. Though I'm suprised someone hasn't gone this route yet. Having pre-rendered 3D graphics can be a big plus. You make the model once, and then can make tiles for each angle (0,90,180,270) which are severely lacking the RTP. I can have a sideways sink?! Come on.

Not too picky about battles either. All depends on how well they're balanced.

I like to see crafting/synthesis (in some form), and mini-games (fishing, lock-picking, alchemy etc.)

4. Link

First Language:
    English/Engrish
    Well, when it comes to pre-rendered characters, I plan on rendering them without any AA and then adding outlines by hand to them, so they SHOULD still present some form of being sprited, except with a little better shading using realistic lighting (thus also allowing different times of day to have different forms of the same sprite with unique lighting to fit the situation).

Levi likes this.
  5. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Huh... I didn't even think about that! Good stuff!

6. Link

First Language:
    English/Engrish
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to do all of this in VXAce or IGMaker yet :p There's a lot (and I mean A LOT) of features I want, and, with scripting, VXAce seems like the most likely bet, the issue is with VXAce is how much scripting I'll have to do for things like sprite sheets (which I'm planning on having at least 5 frames per walking animation for a more smooth animation), while with IGMaker, I can set my own tile sizes (if I use tiles or not remains to be seen, however), sprite sizes, frames for an animation, etc.

Edit: Thought of another question! Stats! What do you find better, multiple, opposing stats (similar to Rock Paper Scizzors stats), or a few stats? I'm WANTING to use a S/D, I/M, D/A system where each stat has it's opposite to decide physical damage (strength vs. defense), magical damage (Intelligence vs. Mentality) and dodge (Dexterity vs. Agility), plus some other item-only stats such as Absorbtion (would be factored into defense at a percentage-esque rate) and Attack (would be factored into strength at a percentage-esque rate). Would you rather see a more flushed out stat system like that, or something smaller that's less confusing and requires less thought in which class (or skill point, haven't decided between a class system or a point system yet!) to choose?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  7. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I want to see side adventures! Adventures not part of the main adventure but still adventures. :3

8. Link

First Language:
    English/Engrish
    Like side quests and the like? Or literal adventures, like "Oh dear, this poor queen has been stolen by her maniac, incestual brother, but before you can save her, you have to go through 5 dungeons to get to her! BUT, if you do this, you could jeopordize your current mission (saving X from Y for Z reasons)! Are you sure you wish to continue!?"?

9. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, side quests :D As big or as small as you'd like to make! It's always nice for sidequests :3