February Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've continued to implement spells for the Cleric Class... 8 out of 14 are done, and I've put together animations for them too, either from the RTP, modifications thereof, or from hadecynn and combinations thereof.

Cleric Spells Part 1.png

Rejuvenate.png

Edit: Added the list of Hex Spells into the database. There are 16 of them. Considering that one of the party members starts with this class, can we say "Token Evil Teammate?"

Hex Spells.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woops, completely forgot to post here. Well... *cough*... congrats everyone for you progress !

I spent a lot of time playing games, so I only made a little progress, I finished the maps of the first part of the forest, before we encounter NPCs who will make the story progress. Now all I need is to add monsters. I'm working with a base of a flower monster of RPG Vx Ace, changing it to correspond to what I need.

I've also tried to increase my drawing skills a bit, by drawing the main team on season II of my story (so far far away from the game). A spoiler with a link to devinat art if you want to take a look.

And going with the drawing, the story itself has progressed a lot further. I guess the game(s) will only catch up when the whole story is over :D

Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  3. LxCharon

LxCharon I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow everyone has gotten so much done this month! Good Jobs all around!

@Archeia good luck with the tileset, I don't envy you, but I love the sprites you're making!

@Amysaurus love the new look, and I feel it fits so perfectly with the evolution of your style.

@Marquise* That dragon is fantastic, the wings are gorgeous!

@Schlangan I like the akira toriyama-ish look to your characters, and the way they interact in the picture.

For me, well my design partner and I have decided to reboot the title which means a reboot of the logo. I've been playing around with it, but I'm not in love with it yet, Idk what it needs though.
    working vestige logo copy.jpg

4. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    And I've finished implementing the Cleric's spells, with powers, MP costs, and animations.

Also, started working on Implementing the Hex's spells.

Infernal Circle.png

Taking advantage of Yanfly's Target Core, Infernal Circle targets EVERYONE. Given its great power, it is obviously a party wipe unless careful preparation is made beforehand... but I'm also going to be extensively reworking the Hex's passive abilities, and one particular change I have in mind would synergize with this.

So far, I've deviated quite a bit from the stated monthly goals, but I'm making good progress, so who cares?

Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Arithmetician : That reminds me of my Armageddon spell in my game. Hits all, and can kill your party too if you don't plan appropriately.

Some minor progress too, I actually managed to event the NPC's in a town today! I only have to put the lone side quest in that town, and it is completely done. Maybe I can still pull it off before the end of the month, even with me doing reduced work on game dev due to work right now.

Marquise*, mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  6. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @bgillisp Or Meltdown in Final Fantasy. Or if you want an even closer equivalent, Dark Nebula in Bravely Default. The strategy is to grant the party the ability to Absorb or Nullify Dark.

It was apparently popular for people to troll others in Bravely Default by making their Friend Summons highly-buffed Dark Nebulas.... seeing the damage numbers, the unwary or inexperienced player would think they had received a great attack. But when they tried to use it, they would get a game over with a one-hit total party kill.

mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  7. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @LxCharon It's very pretty, but for me the problem is it's a bit unbalanced. If you added some sort of light aqua image or particle going from the bottom center toward the right center across the bottom right corner, I think it might even out. (Feathers spring to mind, but even some sort of line or stairs or something might work. The "heavy" feeling is good though, it's pretty well balanced top to bottom with the extreme negative space. I haven't read anything about your game but combined with the title I'm getting a feeling of falling from grace, being weighed downward. Possible the text is too black? Maybe opt toward very dark navy to keep with the complimentary color scheme?

@Arithmetician I also wanted to say that I kind of like the idea of a merchant class. I'm always happy with non-traditional options. Perhaps the gil attack could be dependent on how much money the merchant's skills have saved/gained, rather than the total amount spent/gained? Just a thought of why you might want to use the merchant's skills to get to a powerful attack, and keep the attack from being powerful out of the gate.

@Reapergurl I forgot to say I like your damage formula as a type of berserker skill attack. Especially if it is more powerful than an average attack at about 50% hp or less. Once you get down to 25% or less it's just too scary. :kaoswt: But it can be either viewed as a sort of risk/reward relationship OR a rage attack that might just save your butt if you get hit really hard and are about to get knocked out.

I got my base armors worked into my database and 25% of the skills roughed in, including a multi-attack with a random target each time (using common events...it's a bit clunky and slow but it works, so there's that). Still need to put in those two map placeholders...

8. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @Llareian Well, that's how Driftwood Gaming showed how to do it in the tutorial.

Still, it should be cost-prohibitive at first. Dealing just 2,000 damage (while spells should easily be able to inflict 3,000-4,000 to a single target) would cost 6,000 gold (though that's 2,000 to all enemies, mind you). Still, it is capable of hitting 33,333 damage if one spends 99,999 gold. So maybe I should cap it at spending 9,999 gold (3,333 damage to all enemies). That would keep it from being TOO overpowered. Though the ability is kind of purposefully overpowered, if you have a lot of cash to burn. You know, "screw the rules, I have money!"

As for their non-combat utility, their Merchant Network will enable purchasing of common healing items through the menu, even in dungeons (though at inflated prices). Black Market will likewise enable the purchase of rare items or equipment that can't be obtained elsewhere.

Marsigne and Llareian like this.
  9. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :kaothx: A Big SURPRISE UPDATE for my February.... Drifty played my frist demooo project EVER!!! AAAAAAAAA :kaojoy:So yep, I'm very excited--- remember I told you I totally destroyed my game with that update? ( here's the story of that tragedy ) well, thank God I sent Drifty the game BEFORE... AAAND he didn't dislike it! I'm amazed, my super Noob project (without the slightest clue on eventing, Formulae, parallaz mapping, mostly default everything...) and he found it enjoyable, despite it's million mistakes. This is so much more than I expected. :kaoluv:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Marsigne, Lantiz, Llareian and 2 others like this.
  10. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @Andronius

You must have made a lot of progress if you have a demo project Driftwood could test... or was that the old one before you lost the files?

Marsigne and Andronius like this.
  11. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Arithmetician precisely! I erased my .js and everything when I told you, early this week, had to CRY FOR HELP and everything ( HERE ) BUT fortunately I sent it to Drifty before. AND I THOUGHT OF YOU SO MUCH WHILE WATCHING IT (balance BALANCE MAAATHS, the things we've been speaking about).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Marsigne likes this.
  12. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Progress;
    Sorry, had a hard, damp, busking day today. Kinda a shame I powered only twice my prototype since the beginning of the year. (I think I shall do a NPC of her some day)
    P2Fev2017.jpg
    "First is Valentine Day first annual power up and second is today."

While I was gone my computer was in reboot insert disk state trice from my black screen, my Photoshop settings were scrap and my accents all messed out. :X I am too poor to try to confirm or infirm that each time I get OUT of the house someone gets IN to mess with my computer by buying/setting up a well placed camera. :S Because paranoid or not THIS starts to be REALLY suspicious![/SPOILER]

@Andronius Nice work! A lot of work also doing a video about it!
    @LxCharon Nice opening title! I love it it could maybe start a new trend into movie posters... (Before it is so over used that it becomes a REALLY bad stereotype. Let's hope your game will anchor itself very well with your players so everyone remembers who started the trend.) BTW, Thanks for the wings compliment. I do admit while I am doing them,I often doubt myself as to know if they are worth it. I mean, I try to imagine if something that gigantic with those wings landed in front of me with that BZZZZt? and it have those scales an hippo mouth and horns... I might kinda err have pants to wash if I survived the encounter! LOL Yet, the fact that millions of years ago dragonflys were actually 2 meters big might comes in mind to reassure me that... well it is still hovering carnivorous insect wings that are almost silent... maybe... rather b z z z z THUD! (At least dragonfly eats mosquitoes nowadays! I had my fair IRL share of vampires. :p )
    @bgillisp Little progress is better than NO progress at all! (Something tells me that a certain PFD will be fully scaled tomorrow, just because you remind me of something! :p )
    @Schlangan I love the BIG Siberian tiger! Maybe I am the only one here to know what is a Siberian tiger. It is sure not an albino one... Although it is hard to tell on a black and white drawing. BTW, errr... can the player ride that tiger?

Marsigne and Andronius like this.
  13. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @Andronius A pity.... it looks like you had a lot of content.

As for my progress: tried to replace the Lich passive with the simpler / less broken Absorb Dark.... Yanfly's element absorb feature doesn't appear to be working for some reason, so I suppose I'll just settle for now with Null Dark.

Marsigne, Marquise* and Andronius like this.
  14. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Waiting on a syntax fix by someone better than I am at it. If that goes well, I'll be able to implement what I want in the project.

If not, it may come down to complicated eventing.

Still very sick, but been gathering inspiration from games I've played and replayed recently.

Hopefully soon, I'll be able to focus on the project; have not heard back from the dev team member that Rift Chronicles was started by. Hope she's okay...

Hmm...I've written down some things such as practice note tags for database boxes. Other than that, not much.

Marsigne likes this.
  15. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I came up with some spell names using Latin, not sure if I'm going to use Latin as the naming convention for spells though... :unsure:
    I don't want to go with the standard "fire 1 fire 2 etc" or the "cure cura curaga" standard naming themes, but I'm having difficulty coming up with alternatives. :stare:

16. AMGLime

AMGLime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Actually yeah, most people use magic by using Runes. So by equipping the Runes, you can use Magic, and as you upgrade the Rune, it can use stronger magic. Like Materia, but instead of it passively leveling up, you have to actually upgrade it.

Marsigne likes this.
  17. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    lol

I don't blame you.

Fiern! <- Fire!
    Zumanei! <- Sleep!
    Reiassanari! <- Barrier!

The first is from a very ancient Runic language, the other two are made up.

Marsigne likes this.
  18. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @TriceratopsX What about something like: Sano, Sano Magna, Sano Maxima? If you want multi-target capabilities, Sano Omnes?
    Alternatively, you could use Sano Potens. All of that maintains the Latin theme.

Marsigne likes this.
  19. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Archeia I like the new sprite look! I know what you mean, it's kind of embarrassing when you figure things out just after complaining. I've done it more than once.

@Amysaurus Woah, that's a huge style change! They both look really good, so I hope you aren't getting caught in an improvement loop.

Marsigne and Archeia like this.
  20. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @LxCharon Thanks! I'm really happy with how it's coming along.

@Sharm Lol! Not this time, thankfully! I mostly wanted the change in style since it suits the gameplay better than the original. I still plan on finishing my tileset in the original style, so it won't be a big setback. :smile:

As far as progress goes.... I don't really want to post it yet (i.e. IT'S VERY BAREBONES), but I'm working on the walk cycle for the larger sprites.

Marsigne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.