Feedback Needed - Card Based Skill System

Ravenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
Hey, fellow makers. I'm designing an event-driven character customization system based on slots.
I have two versions in mind, I'd like some feedback on each, if possible.

Version 1 - More RPG - Like

The character has a number of slots, in which certain items (let's call them Orbs) can be socketed.
Socketed items provide either passive stat bonuses, or add active skills to the character's skill list.

Active skills usually have a cooldown, and the same skill Orb can be socketed multiple times to allow more frequent use.
Orbs can be combined / crafted / upgraded too, and the number of available slots increases as the character levels up.

This system aims to provide a chance to openly customize a character's stats and skills according to the player's tastes.
Version 2 - More CCG - Like
This is essentially the same as the previous one, with a defining difference:
 The slotted items - called "Cards" here - represent a deck of cards, much like a traging card game.

These cards are "drawn" during battle, at the beginning of each turn.  When a character draws a skill Card, he gains *one* use of that skill. Naturally, the same card can (and should) be slotted multiple times.

This system provides a totally different aspect of character customization. The character's "deck" must be carefully planned, as the player cannot be certain when or whether a skill card will be drawn.

To somewhat offset the randomness of this system, the character can also slot a special "class" card, that allows him to use an ability regardless of card drawing.
Despite the similarities, these two systems are tactically vastly different. I like both, but my percepton of them is heavily biased.
So, as I said, I'd like some unbiased feedback.

Thank you in advance!

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I like number two concept.

although you might want to limit how many copies of the same card can be slotted. to prevent slotting the same card x 50 for example.

Ravenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
I toyed with the idea of intentionally NOT limiting the number of copies, but that would add a ton of problems in designing balanced cards. To keep it simple, I'm thinking of a limit of 3 or 4 copies in a 20-card deck.

Because eventing an actual deck would be a disproportionate pain, I'm actually using a simpler chance mechanism. For each of the 20 slots I'm currently using, there's a 5% chance for the character to draw the slotted card each time a card is drawn. So, in theory, the character could end up with multiple copies of the same card, even if it's slotted only once. The chance of that is, however, not game-breaking.

wltr3565

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Ah, the second one reminds me of my deck of skills script. Does that function pretty much. 

Both of those concepts are entirely different to me. The first one is more like FFVII's materia (upgrade slots) and the second one is more like Megaman Battle Network. It's up to you, but the fun of gambling in the second one is more preferable to me, especially if you can do something with this gamble! Combos, everyone?

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, the second one reminds me of my deck of skills script. Does that function pretty much. 

Both of those concepts are entirely different to me. The first one is more like FFVII's materia (upgrade slots) and the second one is more like Megaman Battle Network. It's up to you, but the fun of gambling in the second one is more preferable to me, especially if you can do something with this gamble! Combos, everyone?
@Wltr3565

Yeah I'm trying to honor MMBN's battle system while still keeping it a card game. I love BN's battle system it's one of my favorites!

Pointless verbal thought:

I also played Cardfight Vanguard and Fantasy Strike Yomi.

And to the OP:

I would most definitely say cap the same multiples of cards at 4 since it's probably what most people are used to. The second option may also be more complicated to make than the first but if you can work out the balancing issues it'll be (imo) way more fun than option 1.

Omnimental

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Option 2 does sound like the more interesting choice.  I'd say that most cards should be limited at 4/deck, but there should be more powerful cards that are 1/deck.  Overpowered, but rarely drawn.  A more complicated option would be to give each card a "Deck Cost", with each card costing a certain number of points to include in the deck.  So you could have a few powerful cards or a lot of weaker cards, and any empty slots would be filled with "Basic Attack" cards.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Option 2 does sound like the more interesting choice.  I'd say that most cards should be limited at 4/deck, but there should be more powerful cards that are 1/deck.  Overpowered, but rarely drawn.  A more complicated option would be to give each card a "Deck Cost", with each card costing a certain number of points to include in the deck.  So you could have a few powerful cards or a lot of weaker cards, and any empty slots would be filled with "Basic Attack" cards.
I might just borrow this idea myself....

Ravenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
The "Deck Cost" option would be easy to implement. I thought about that too, but I'm not still sure if I like it, as it puts an all-too-visible hard cap on how strong a player can become.  The fixed number of slots and rarity of the cards are enough, I think.

Additionally, I thought of adding some kind of mana cost to the cards, but that didn't work for me either.

In the end, I settled for another kind of mechanic. The character has an extra card slot for a card that can be used anytime, but requires a full "Energy" bar. Energy can be gained by using certain other cards. Think of it as a "Limit Break" kind of thing. I tested it and it works well enough.

The player can even build a deck around it, trading overall card strength and utility for faster energy generation.

Omnimental

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you're worried about a hard cap on player's strength, just make their point total increase with level.

Which is actually a good idea anyway, as it limits complexity in the beginning when the player is learning the game, then gives them more and more options as they level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was planning to release a useless plugin for april fools, but then I thought I let it be.
Tfw every dev around me is using Live2D in their MV games and make me question my skills repeatedly.

Spending the day reworking my maps, especially the first "biome". This time it's not even in the dark. :LZSwink:
Activity on the forums has increased lately, probably because of people staying home. The amount of work for moderators has increased lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oersted_LAL