Feeling like your game sucks

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've had LOTS of experience with this feeling, and it often depends on what's going on with you and your game.  My first game, had an awesome story, but pretty crappy mapping (common first game problem).  The answer to that one is to work on mapping, which actually help me in that case.  Losing focus is another problem that I faced with that same game, learning to work in story arcs actually helps quite a bit and I suggest watching shows or anime that has arcs.  Seeing how other people has helped me quite a bit.  Another situation for me has been my art work, which using overly used art work and seeing this awesome art work got me depressed about my own game.  I focused on my art work, learning how to make my own and even learning how to edit much better than I had before.  Another situation was my feeling about my characters and learning how to make deeper characters helped me with that one.  This is all knowledge based, but there are situations were this won't help at all.

I've started to do an art piece, think (THIS SUCKS), but it's not finished.  I finish the piece and I am amazed at how it turned out.  But I couldn't see what a wonderful piece it was while it was in development.  This helped me to learn to take my time and not be in such a rush to judge a piece before it is finished.  Plus, even if it did suck and not many people like it, you can still learn something from it.  Heck, you can listen to their opinions, take their advice and if the story is a good one, make a new game with what you learned from the first game making a new game much better.

Did you know that Mega Man (NES) wasn't the best and from what I hear they were uncertain about making another game, so they worked on it in their spare time.  Mega Man 2 almost didn't happen.  Now, the must common time I feel this feeling is when I am looking at the screenshot thread and I see an amazing screenshot.  I look at my own game and think, "OH MAN, THIS SUCKS, because it's not as awesome as person's X game."  You could look at it that way, or look at their screenshot, see if you can learn anything from it.  Is it the art style you like?  Is it the details in the map, if so, see if you can improve your own mapping, while NOT comparing your map with their maps.  Basically, even though, I am the type of person who gets a compliment and I don't know how to react or I feel like I don't deserve it, I do know the feeling that you are talking about.

Just remember these words:  I am creating a work that I love, for me and I want to share it with the world.  First, you have to be happy and love what you are creating and then, share it with the world. 

Heretic86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
I think what is more important than thinking ones game sucks is understanding why we think our games suck, because that gives us an understanding of what we need to do in order to make our games not suck.  Motivation can easily come from that simple bit of knowledge.  I know it sucks because I havent finished this yet, which a lot of times, should be plenty of motivation for us to continue working.  Once this is finished, it wont suck, but I just got to get it done!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not the same reasoning for me unfortunately. Because, I see something wrong about my game, I obsessively try and fix it until it is absolutely perfect. Reasons why I'm nowhere near done my game. 

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Remember @HexMozart88, perfection is unobtainable. There's nothing wrong with giving it your 1000 x infinity best because when you give your best, everyone else will notice and you'll be proud. By the way, are you noticing something "wrong" with your game because you're comparing yourself to other titles or is it actual unforeseen broken stuff? I hate when I get the design done on paper and it appears perfect, only when it's time to code, something ugly rears its head and I'm bashing my head against the desk trying to figure out why it's not working. (for example, my current GUI is a nightmare - the UX still has too many clicks - i'm aiming for 3 or less). but it sure is beautiful - on a PC TITLE! (lolz it won't work for mobile....)

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's usually when I get comments, even joking ones. And sometimes it's just because I am ridiculously hard on myself, so I hate everything i do, just because I'm the one that did it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.
I never noticed how NOISY birds can be in the morning..
The worst part of writing the thesis is getting to a point where it's nearly done and you feel like an 8th-grader could've written something on that level.
So ... uh ... this weekend I have to cut my husband's hair. He searched long and hard - highest mountains, deepest valleys, across vast oceans. All hairdressers are now closed. So it's me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TmoD2010