nitriso

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Felski,

Thank you again for this wonderful plugin! For some reason, I can no longer edit the "learn skills" form in the techtree builder. All of the other forms are editable as far as I'm aware. How can I edit the form so that characters can learn new skills? Thanks!

falken14

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Felski,

Thank you again for this wonderful plugin! For some reason, I can no longer edit the "learn skills" form in the techtree builder. All of the other forms are editable as far as I'm aware. How can I edit the form so that characters can learn new skills? Thanks!
@Felski, I am also having this problem. I have not had to use it for several months until recently. I tried downloading the Tree Builder app again but I can't access that specific field. Very weird. I think you can still edit the Techtrees.json file directly to add skills however, if you can't fix this.

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi Felski,

@Felski, I am also having this problem. I have not had to use it for several months until recently. I tried downloading the Tree Builder app again but I can't access that specific field. Very weird. I think you can still edit the Techtrees.json file directly to add skills however, if you can't fix this.
Hey folks,

I just updated the Tree Builder App fixing this issue. I also added the option to save and load a json file, so you dont have to copy and paste so much.
The update can be found here:
https://felski.itch.io/felski-skilltree

Best regards,
Felski

CropseFather

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Felski I've been trying to make my own tree, and it's the only one in the file?

EDIT: Fixed that problem

New Problem: Why is the text appearing twice; for each skill?

Attachments

Last edited:

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
@Felski I've been trying to make my own tree, and it's the only one in the file?

EDIT: Fixed that problem

New Problem: Why is the text appearing twice; for each skill?
Hi @CropseFather,

each node in the tree can have a description. It seems that you've put the description also for the skill you are learning via the node. Both gets displayed. Just delete one and you should be good to go.
Best regards,
Felski

CropseFather

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @CropseFather,

each node in the tree can have a description. It seems that you've put the description also for the skill you are learning via the node. Both gets displayed. Just delete one and you should be good to go.
Best regards,
Felski

Thank you.

Also; Is there a way to make a techtree binded to a class instead of the actor? I want to make it so, as you progress through different classes it unlocks different techtrees when you change the class

@Felski

Edit: Nvm, answered my own question

Last edited:

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
Thank you.

Also; Is there a way to make a techtree binded to a class instead of the actor? I want to make it so, as you progress through different classes it unlocks different techtrees when you change the class

@Felski

Edit: Nvm, answered my own question
Just for the record. Yes, it is possible. Just add the notetags to a class.
<techtree>
HOLY
HEALER
</techtree>
It is also compatible with Yanflys Class Change Core.
Best regards,
Felski

Karterus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Felski,

First I wanted to thank you for making this plugin, it's great and has a ton of options.
One thing I struggled to implement was a system for using skill trainers to unlock the nodes. Eventually I figured I could hide all the traits unless you were talking to the appropriate skill trainer using switches and have the menu button still there to view the skill tree in the field. Unfortunately that also hid the activated nodes.

Long story short I edited your plugin code so that, from what I understand, your .isNodeVisible function now checks if the node is visible or active.
I added the following if statement on line 3818 (before the other if statement):
Code:
if(this._node.active){
    return true;
}
I'm posting this here in case you would like to add it as option or somebody less eager to dive into your code can use it.

Thanks again,
Karterus

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi @Karterus,

thanks for taking interest in my plugin. I never planned it to be used with skill trainers, so I have a few questions.
When you are using skill trainers, you only want the player to be able to activate nodes when talking to a trainer?
When using the menu, the skill tree should be only for visible purposes?

Currently another option would be to use items that the skill trainers hand out. That way you could limit the skills that could be unlocked.
Best regards,
Felski

Karterus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, my goal was to make skills only unlockable when talking to a skill trainer. The conversation with them would flip a switch that is hiding a bunch of skills and open the techtree menu to buy them. Then, when the player finishes the conversation, reflip the switch hide all those skills again, except for the ones you unlocked. That way the player can open up you menu and look at the unlocked skills, stat bonuses, and descriptions at any time. Maybe add in a training cutscenes and hard to find masters for exotic skills/prestige classes. I got the idea from the old Gothic series of games.

I couldn't figure out how to do that using the existing options without keeping the entire skill tree hidden most of the time. But, now that you mention it, having a temporary item for the duration of the conversation would have mostly the same effect. The main differences being that you can see skills you don't know when not at a skill trainer and having a weird "cost" of a temporary item associated with the skills.

I'm probably a little bit too hung up on getting it to work exactly as I envisioned it, but it's worked perfectly for me so far post-edit.

RoseRainblood

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I'm trying out this plugin because it looks amazing and is visually stunning!

I've got it working but I have an issue... If I edit the Techtree.json and the skills in the database, it doesn't update them when I load my game. I have to start a new game to see the updated version. Is there anyway around this as I'll probably be editing those a lot and I'd rather not have to start a new game everytime. ^_^

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
Yeah, my goal was to make skills only unlockable when talking to a skill trainer. The conversation with them would flip a switch that is hiding a bunch of skills and open the techtree menu to buy them. Then, when the player finishes the conversation, reflip the switch hide all those skills again, except for the ones you unlocked. That way the player can open up you menu and look at the unlocked skills, stat bonuses, and descriptions at any time. Maybe add in a training cutscenes and hard to find masters for exotic skills/prestige classes. I got the idea from the old Gothic series of games.

I couldn't figure out how to do that using the existing options without keeping the entire skill tree hidden most of the time. But, now that you mention it, having a temporary item for the duration of the conversation would have mostly the same effect. The main differences being that you can see skills you don't know when not at a skill trainer and having a weird "cost" of a temporary item associated with the skills.

I'm probably a little bit too hung up on getting it to work exactly as I envisioned it, but it's worked perfectly for me so far post-edit.
Hi @Karterus,

I have the following in mind right now for skill trainers.
1. There will be an option to make the skill tree you reach via the menu to be only for display.
2. I will extend the TECHTREE plugin command so that you can open a skill tree in edit or display mode.

I think those two changes together would be perfect for skill trainers around the world. What do you think?

Best regards,
Felski

Hi! I'm trying out this plugin because it looks amazing and is visually stunning!

I've got it working but I have an issue... If I edit the Techtree.json and the skills in the database, it doesn't update them when I load my game. I have to start a new game to see the updated version. Is there anyway around this as I'll probably be editing those a lot and I'd rather not have to start a new game everytime. ^_^
Hi @RoseRainblood,

I'm glad you like my plugin. I'm currently on vacation and will resume working on recent feature requests soon. Updating the skill trees when you load a game is something I want to add, as it is also needed for updating a game in general. I already have an idea how to make this happen.
If you have any other issues with the plugin feel free to reach out the me or ask questions here.

Best regards,
Felski

RoseRainblood

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @RoseRainblood,

I'm glad you like my plugin. I'm currently on vacation and will resume working on recent feature requests soon. Updating the skill trees when you load a game is something I want to add, as it is also needed for updating a game in general. I already have an idea how to make this happen.
If you have any other issues with the plugin feel free to reach out the me or ask questions here.

Best regards,
Felski
That's wonderful to hear! I'll continue using this plugin for sure then if that's a feature you wish to add. ^_^

Karterus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have the following in mind right now for skill trainers.
1. There will be an option to make the skill tree you reach via the menu to be only for display.
2. I will extend the TECHTREE plugin command so that you can open a skill tree in edit or display mode.
That sounds perfect. Thank you for looking into this.

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
That's wonderful to hear! I'll continue using this plugin for sure then if that's a feature you wish to add. ^_^
Hey @RoseRainblood

I just updated the plugin and included the parameter to enable update skill trees when you load. I have tested this feature, but it still might cause issues. For now it tries to reactivate nodes that have the same UID as the nodes that where active before.
Any feedback would be much appreciated. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out to me.

Best regards,
Felski

That sounds perfect. Thank you for looking into this.
Hey @Karterus

I just updated the plugin and added options for skill trainers. You can set the menu skill tree as display only and open the skill tree via plugin commands. I added additional commands to open the scene with a specific tree preselected and another that prevents the player from changing the skill tree. More infos are in the changelog and I also updated the demo.

Best regards,
Felski

Gregaur

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
Hi @Felski !

I'm still using your great plugin and I was wondering if you plan to include \c[n] and \i[n] code into the skill description.

here is what I have so far :

In a classic menu or Battle :

In my Skilltree :

Thanks a lot for your work anyway !

RoseRainblood

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey @RoseRainblood

I just updated the plugin and included the parameter to enable update skill trees when you load. I have tested this feature, but it still might cause issues. For now it tries to reactivate nodes that have the same UID as the nodes that where active before.
Any feedback would be much appreciated. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out to me.

Best regards,
Felski
Thank you very much. That's brilliant! I have updated the plugin and so far it seems great. It's much easier now! I'll let you know if I have any questions or issues. Loving this plugin!

Last edited:

Acydcross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello @Felski

When I open the html file from SkillTreeDemo folder, it gives me 'failed to load: data/actors.json' error.

What did I do wrong?

Felski

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Other
Hello @Acydcross

the demo is a normal RPG Maker Project and the index.html is part of it. For the TreeBuilder App enter the TreeBuilder App folder and open the TreeBuilder.html. To check the demo project just open it in RPG Maker or open the Game.rpgproject.

Best regards,
Felski

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paitshens