Fevered Dreams

FlynnFlam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Introduction

Hello, this is my very first game created with RPG Maker! It’s a short horror tale that I had a lot of fun building. I learned a lot—and still have a lot to learn. :)

Story

You awaken in a rambling old mansion, your memories vague and uncertain. The butler informs you that you are the owner of the house, but something is very wrong. Why are there empty bottles everywhere? What is causing the house to quake? And why is the only exit sealed behind a barred door?

Characters

The Owner

You have a splitting headache and can’t shake a feeling of deep foreboding about what is to come.

The Help

The house is overseen by a butler, maid, and cook. They seem respectful and courteous, but something about them isn’t quite right.

Monsieur Cieg

It seems a guest is coming to dinner. Every fiber of your being tells you not to be here when he arrives.

Features

Fevered Dreams uses the base system with no plug-ins. It takes place entirely within a crumbling mansion. There are both Adventure and RPG elements. Note that a careful examination of your surroundings will be needed if you are to escape!

Play it HERE.

I know the browser-based roll-out is a bit iffy, but I love the idea of being able to send a link to the game. Hopefully it’s short enough not to need more than that. :)

Screenshot

byBibo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I enjoyed playing this! :) The monsters on the 1st floor were good, and the suspense put by Monsieur Cieg added to the mood :)

Well balanced, just i wish we could actually go down the stairs XD

The end was unexpected, and i enjoyed it ^^.

FlynnFlam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I enjoyed playing this! :) The monsters on the 1st floor were good, and the suspense put by Monsieur Cieg added to the mood :)

Well balanced, just i wish we could actually go down the stairs XD

The end was unexpected, and i enjoyed it ^^.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm so glad you had fun playing it!

I agree it would be fun if the player could explore the horrors below the mansion, but I chose to keep the environments small to maximize the chances of actually finishing the game!  :D

trips486

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
A good game and pretty fun. However,  is their a reason why you made the key a use item? lol. I was able to use the key during a battle and ended up losing the item. My fault but wanted to see what the point was :p . Probably should make that a key item or something. 

Pahhur

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You did a really nice job setting up the mood, good work!

I was a bit surprised by the sudden difficulty spike, but it worked well with the horror theme.

FlynnFlam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
A good game and pretty fun. However,  is their a reason why you made the key a use item? lol. I was able to use the key during a battle and ended up losing the item. My fault but wanted to see what the point was :p . Probably should make that a key item or something. 
Oops! Chalk it up to my inexperience. After you wrote this I went back and checked: several items were flagged to "consumable" when they shouldn't have been. Thanks for finding that!

FlynnFlam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
You did a really nice job setting up the mood, good work!

I was a bit surprised by the sudden difficulty spike, but it worked well with the horror theme.
Haha, I'm fortunate that the theme is one of hopelessness! Creating reliable battle formulas, skills, and items is tough. I managed to get it to a point where a player can successfully complete the game, but I'd like to do a lot better on this front in the next one. Still, I'm glad you had fun.  :)

McKathlin

Plugin dev, composer, artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This game is thoroughly creepy, and difficult enough that I narrowly succeeded with the items available. Nicely done!

I love that the Owner's special moves center around madness. Making them TP-based was a good fit.

I noticed a few things that were uneven about how TP was displayed and handled. TP doesn't display in the menu; MP does, even though it's never used. It looks like hiding MP and displaying TP in the menu would require a small amount of plugin work. Also, I noticed that sometimes TP zeroes out. At first I thought that the Soothing Tonic was doing this, which would be a challenging tradeoff that would make in-game sense. But then I figured out that it wasn't the Soothing Tonic that was returning TP to zero; leveling up was doing it. If you want an item to reduce TP, that can be done by having one of its effects be calling a Common Event that reduces TP. Preserving TP on level up, if it were desired, would probably be a job for plugins.

Anyway, those are minor nitpicks. I found this to be a well-put-together little horror game. Thank you for sharing it!

ZeroGamer24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
for a short horror theme game is was pretty interesting.  well done for your first game  BD

FlynnFlam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I noticed a few things that were uneven about how TP was displayed and handled. TP doesn't display in the menu; MP does, even though it's never used. It looks like hiding MP and displaying TP in the menu would require a small amount of plugin work. Also, I noticed that sometimes TP zeroes out. At first I thought that the Soothing Tonic was doing this, which would be a challenging tradeoff that would make in-game sense. But then I figured out that it wasn't the Soothing Tonic that was returning TP to zero; leveling up was doing it. If you want an item to reduce TP, that can be done by having one of its effects be calling a Common Event that reduces TP. Preserving TP on level up, if it were desired, would probably be a job for plugins.
I made this game to get a handle on the overall event system, but (as you can tell) I feel like I've barely scratched the surface on things like game balance, stat displays and the like. I've begun to experiment with the Yanfly plugins so I can hopefully gain more control over the presentation aspects of the software (and figure out how to create save points). 

I'm grateful for the detailed observations. Thanks for playing!

Niiru

RPG Fans
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nice game! Nice graphics! Especially the music.. quite suitable for creepy theme.

For the music, are you making by your own?

Overall: 8/10

FlynnFlam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
For the music, are you making by your own?
Glad you liked it! The music was obtained from the following places:

Intro cutscene: "Hounted Mansion" (from the Madness Music Pack (www.jdbartist.net))

Main Theme:  "The Legend of Cragg" (by Murray Atkinson from the Rebel Rapture music pack)

Title Screen and Shuttered Wing: "Mysterious Angel" (by Murray Atkinson from the Rebel Rapture music pack)

Root Cellar: "Dungeon1" (from the default MV assets)

Hope that helps!

The Infamous Bon Bon

Executive Geek
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It was a fun little game.

I liked the setting and mood.  I enjoyed that you gave extra attention to many of the items like the bookshelves, barrels, books, etc.  The music was well chosen.  The ending was especially well done for such a short game.

I would have made some changes:

The steep difficulty change in the random encounters was unexpected, but I just leveled up to level 5 and it wasn't so bad.  And speaking of the random encounters the big difference in the art styles of the monsters in the cellar and the upstairs was weird.

Like was mentioned I would have removed the MP stat and probably preserved the TP so it wasn't so random, but that also made some of the harder random encounters easier (at least when I started the battle with more than 20 TP).

I may have configured my tileset setting a bit differently so the player could go up behind more things instead of walking around everything.

Very good overall.  I hope to see another game from you in the future.

amaSenpai

LP: amaSenpai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Interesting concept! I was really curious about the mysterious guest Cieg... I was hoping to find out more about him from my housemates as I did quests for the cook. The story made it seem like the characters had traded in a life of ease for eventually becoming a meal, so as the Hour got closer, it would be nice to see some motivations from them. 

The ending surprised me. But the only nice/interactive character showing up again was a nice touch.

My only criticism would be that I had no idea I could get more healing items from enemies, so I ended up playing in a very stingy manner. I only used two or three items to beat the game (it wasn't fun thinking I had to conserve them!)

If you were ever interested in expanding the game play I think adding (even if unbeatable) fight with Cieg, instead of only a game over. I was also hoping to be able to save the maid... although it makes sense why I couldn't.

Thank you for the game! I had fun.

V1.0

Best Syntax Error
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What I liked:

1. Map design was nice, and events were placed everywhere. Believe me, I checked.

Bugs:

1. The cloak you can obtain down the hall and to the right, when the event disappears, the block is still impassable. http://puu.sh/lEhAl/401a4a3586.png

2. You can consume the front door key.

Problems:

1. Why is that bed placed in the middle of the floor like that? http://puu.sh/lEhlI/4c2f518d93.png

2. The music loops oddly in the starting area.

3. You get 12XP from a monster in the celler when you can one-shot it. (12XP is roughly 25% of the XP required to level to 2)

4. Monster game models are off-setting in comparison to the rest of the graphics.

5. You are attacked by your butler, and none of your servants come to help.

6. Not enough healing to go around. Was unable to defeat the butler and continue the game.

7. Too little of HP.

I was unable to complete a playthrough due to being unable to defeat the butler.

Morvan

Warper
Reaction score
Best MV game I've played so far. Great atmosphere. Good difficulty curve.

love4420

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really like this game!!!!! The music is great and I really liked the atmosphere. But... I couldn't defeat Thomas and move on  ;_;  I really would've liked to complete it but the owner just didn't have enough HP. I liked the game up to that point though :D

Chaozit

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Really nice game, 

I thought if you go up to lvl 9 you might get a new ability - did you add a new attack at some lvl?^^

To get the healing potions from the monsters was also a very nice idea. 

To make it short, I had fun playing this, good job. 

MezioPleo

Concept Artist & Illustrator
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
nice character artwork, is it possible to know the name of your artist? I'm digging the art style.

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Short and sweet! You write really well - I'd love to see this concept expanded upon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished up building the last of my furniture! It's so nice to finally have my own place :kaoluv:

Slaving away at more maps. :LZSwink:
Accidentally zoomed the browser in on the forums page, here... and I think I'm going to just leave it. #OldPeopleProblems
Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam Winners announcements start now! Live on stream! See who won!
so, I've begun the process of restructuring my game's base setup entirely after feeling disheartened with progress and talking to a friend. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zachmaw