Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started with FF1 back when I was 4 years old. Always had a love for the series up until FF12
Favorite of them being FF6 for its wide cast of characters that all had a unique skill, sidequest for every character and for having the best villain of all time.
But lately it feels like the series has been going downhill.
FF7 being the most over rated of them all while having almost no character development. Next to no sidequests. Villain is a weak coward. I can go on but.... ya.
FF12 felt WAY to easy partially because I setup gamits to good and was able to beat the game with 1 toe.
FF13/13-2. This I feel like is when the series just stopped being FF altogether.
FF15 I feel like it wasn't really all that bad but it should not be named as a numbered FF game. It would have been received much better if it had been named differently FF"surname". Then you would have gone in expecting something different and it would have delivered.
I just miss the days when a new FF game comes out and you go get it and bam. Got a new jrpg with altered/new mechanics, new lore, but the gameplay being exactly what you expected.

What are some of your most loved/hated FF games and why?

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My first FF was FF9, but FF7 and 10 became my favorite FF games.
Never played 3, 5 and 6.
FF12 was bad and FF13 was unintresting and the battlesystem was not good.
I will play FF15 someday, but I have to many other good RPGs to play right now.
My personal opinion, I think the golden age of Final Fantasy sadly ended after 10.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FF1: Solid classic, beat it when I was four on NES, love the replayability. Future versions are way too easy, but the original is still kind've dated and annoying to play. Really hoping they make a more difficult FF1 remake that isn't annoying like NES version.
FF2: Garbage, worst FF by far. Even remade versions are not fun at all to play.
FF3: Solid classic. Not as good as 1, but still really good with lots of replayability. I prefer the 3D remake version the most, but the NES is also really good.
FF4: Represents the series best IMO, what I recommend all new players to FF start with. I still haven't played The After Years, though.
FF5: Never was a fan of this one. It's not particularly hard, but it either requires a lot of annoying grinding to discover what's viable or research, which I hate games like that.
FF6: Second best of the series. Not enough good things can be said about it, my only complaint is that it's way too easy.
FF7; Best of the series. Most people who don't like it simply don't like it because it's popular, even though it's a very well designed game with really good writing and characters. Sephiroth is a great villain, but not as great as Kefka.
FF8: Hate the game, love the characters and story. If you look at it from an open ended imaginative perspective like how some Japanese writing is done, you can appreciate the story a lot more. Squall is the best character of all time.
FF9: Third best of the series. Second best at representing FF as a whole. Overall gameplay speed is just so slow though, making replays feel more like a slog at times. Last main series FF to have a world map.
FF10: Last proper FF. Solid story, solid characters, solid gameplay. Fans of this game should go play Tales of Symphonia.
FF11: Great MMO with a story of a proper FF game, but it required way too much partying by design, and waiting four hours in party finder to do anything was not very fun. Even now that you can solo just about anything, it was never designed around soloing so it doesn't feel good.
FF12: Terrible game. Completely forgettable. I've replayed it twice and still don't remember anything. Bad music.
FF13: Not as bad as I always thought it would be, but not great. Not as forgettable as 12, but it's not going to impact you like the other FFs.
FF14: Absolutely amazing. Extremely accessible and the story is definitely as good as other FFs. Only complaint is that they don't focus enough on repeatable/rewarding end game content, so they expect you to only play during new patches which is really stupid for an MMO.
FF15: Haven't played, not at all interested really. Just looks like a worse FF13 with Kingdom Hearts mechanics that aren't as good, and the whole "Japanese schoolboy roadtrip" plot the whole game is based off of is just so stupid.

You need to get FF Dimensions if you're looking for that good classic FF feel. It's only $15, the main story will take you at least 50 hours to complete if you know exactly what you're doing/where to go, with plenty of post-game content that will keep you playing for much longer. I would argue Dimensions is the best in the series with 7 and 6, it's that good. I replay it twice a year for four years now and never get tired of it. It has amazing replayability. Dimensions is the FF you've been waiting for since FF10.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
FF1: Ugh. If the story of how this game was made is true, how did it ever save the company? No direction, no story, you just wander aimlessly and hope to figure it out by dumb luck. Don't get me started on the rat tail either and how stupid that was.
FF2: Good. I liked the fact status ailments actually worked on bosses, and were therefore not useless.
FF3: Forgettable. And whoever designed that final dungeon needs to be banned from game dev for life. 2.5 hours of playtime with no chance to save ever and a final boss that if the RNG Goodess hates you its game over = WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?
FF4: Good.
FF5: Decent. I had no issue needing research (as posted above), but I had played FFTactics by then so I knew how the job system worked. Maybe tougher if you play it first.
FF6: Good, though I remember nothing about it as I played it in 2000 and have never replayed it.
Ff7: My first FF game. Had fun with it, though I do agree it is a little overhyped.
FF8: I thought this one was good, though the battle system is really bad. Biggest complaint I remember is people hated Squall, but if you play it through the entire game you learn why he is as he is. Though, I will agree the plot is bad after disc 2, as it feels like they had no idea what to do story wise there at that point.
FF9: Only played once, but I remember finding it fun.
FFX: Good, only FF that dared to have a sad ending.
FFX-2: Ugh. Way to destroy any point to ffx. As far as I'm concerned we should forget it exists. Also I dislike how they decided you have to hit a button in a cutscene to get the good ending, but the game never trains you to do anything like that at any point in time, so why would you do that?
FF12: Only played once and I had the flu that time, so my memory is really fuzzy on this one.
FFXIII: I thought it was decent as a game, but not as good as the other FF games. Plot is full of holes, especially near the end.
FFXIII-2: I had fun with this, though I have to admit it is a pretty ridiculous story. But I went into it expecting ridiculous, so I had fun.
FFXIII-3: Not a good FF game, but I still had fun.
FF15: Haven't played, its not yet on a system I own.

My favorites are FF4 - FFX myself, with FF2 getting an honorable mention. I played that game in 4 days, which is a record for me. Only FF1 I disliked, and ff3 was just meh.

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I only played FFVIII. I like the story but never finish (chicken wuss)

Then, I watched my brother playing FFXII. We thought it was best game ever on PS2 but.....forgettable.

Lastly, I watched my sisters playing FFXV where they enjoyed the game but we’re not satisfied because the story finish. Now, my lil’ sis bought DLC where she wanna play and know the stories of Prompto, Gladiolus and Ignis. But since there’s new update, they become Assassin’s Creed, new event for FFXV.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The ones I've played from least to most favorite:

FFX is the worst by a long shot in my personal opinion, which I know no one shares. Whatevs. At any rate it's the only one I couldn't finish playing.

FFII, the minor characters were colorful but the overall experience not too impressive.

FFVIII, lovely visual and music, some fun battles. Story was all over the place.

FF Tactics, it was fun but I'm not really sure what happened in the finale or what it had to do with the rest of the story.

FFIX, same as Tactics but with more colorful characters and rich artwork overall. Battles unfortunately not very challenging, but I loved it as a kid.

FFVII, has to be judged as a compilation. Original definitely had flaws and holes, but they turned that to advantage, creating a whole series to round things off. I cried at the end of Crisis Core.

FFIV is the most well composed and has the most challenging battles. Not the most memorable characters, but still my personal favorite.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I feel alone...
V is my favorite.

Also, I don't think XV is bad, but it does nothing to earn that number at the end of its title. Modern spinoffs like Four Heroes of Light or Bravely feel more like Final Fantasy titles than XV, and that's looking past the combat.

DestinyBattle

Final Fantasy Nut
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Gonna list my list xD

Final Fantasy: Classic. Groundbreaking JRPG in many ways. First RPG where you could see yourself and your enemies as well, which seems self-explanatory and expected now, but in 1987, it wasn't. For obvious reasons, it's not my number 1, despite it being the first in the series. XD
Final Fantasy II: Black sheep of the series. The plot was actually very good for an NES game. Very deep and depressing. The qualms I have are the leveling system, I really hate it. There're no "levels", per se, - the more you do something the stronger you become at the thing you're doing. Kind of like real life. (e.g. to increase HP, you have to get hit by an enemy all the time, and to increase magic, you have to use magic a number of times, etc.) What I like about FF2 is the fact that Square didn't go for the easy route of making a copy-and-paste of FF1, which many companies did with sequels to successful games, because it was safer. Square tried to revolutionize the JRPG genre a second time. Did it work? Debatable. But I commend them for trying.
Final Fantasy III: Took everything wrong with the first two games and made it better. Showed off the full extent of the NES, as well. Uematsu could now compose with 8-bit drum beats. XD The thing that really shines in FF3 is the Battle System. Job-class changing is revolutionary to the RPG genre, and FF3 was one of the first to do it, and it was fair and balanced. Really strong game.
Final Fantasy IV: Upgrade like no other. Everything was next-level. The story-telling, the art, music, etc. You can tell the development team were excited for the release of a new console and were excited to develop a game on the new 16-bit hardware, thus they pulled out the stops for this game.
Final Fantasy V: FF4 was a story, not filled with too much comedy. FF5, I look at it as a break from the serious tone of the series set up by 4. Love the story, made me cry of laughter, many times. Hidden gem, as it was not exposed to the west until FF Anthology compilation for the PSX. This game took the FF3 job system, and revamped it. A lot of classes could be shifted around to make each time you play the game, a very different experience.
Final Fantasy VI: Best game in the series, and my favourite game of all time. Everything about this game was done right. Was on the edge of my seat from the minute I started, to the "THE END" screen at the end of it. Flawless game, in every way imaginable.
Final Fantasy VII: Second favourite game of all time. I agree though, it is a bit over-hyped, because of nostalgia clouding, but it's far from a bad game. Sure, the graphics are outdated as all hell, but that's to be expected, it's 20 years old. The story was amazing, the soundtrack was pure gold. Especially love the final dungeon theme: "Judgement Day", best song I've ever listened to in my life. Also, Aerith dying was mad, to say the least (Oh, come on! the game is 20 years old! Everyone and their mothers know about this).
Final Fantasy VIII: Because of how good the last two games were, I end up forgetting about FF8, but it's a wonderful experience. I don't like the romance-focused story, as I believe romance should be secondary, and not a driving force of a plot, but it was executed well. The battle system is annoying, though, I cannot lie, and thus this game suffers.
Final Fantasy IX: Nice callback to the series roots. This game I view as the "second break" of the series as the last four games had a dark premise, and this was very light-hearted. It's Sakaguchi's favourite game in the series, and I can definitely see why. This is the model JRPG. Medieval setting with the right amount of everything.
Final Fantasy X: Interesting game. I'm not a modern-RPG fan, so I had a negative perception of this game while I was playing it, but it's a solid game. Very solid. Characters very memorable, and the kiss that Tidus & Yuna have, gets me every time.
Final Fantasy XIII: Despite the hate that this game gets, I actually quite like it. The battle system is great, the music from Hamauzu was brilliant considering he had to live up to the vast legacy Uematsu had created for the series.

These are the only games I've played.
Favourite: 6, Least Favourite: 2

Last edited:

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Final Fantasy 1, 6 and 7 are the only ones I've played enough to really remember anymore. These were all great in their own ways. While 1 certainly isn't the best, 6 is probably my favorite, I usually end up playing through it with a different party about once a year. My last run through was with 4 Black Belts.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
FF1: Surprisingly good for such an old game. I have played the dawn of soul remake which irons out a few bugs and make almost any set-up of characters worthwhile. The bonus dungeons are terrific with a very surreal layout filled with great challenges and puzzles.
FF2: The storyline is rightly lauded although the first part is mainly the rebel queen telling you to go to X and get Y in order to fight the empire. Gameplay is a slog. Dawn of souls remake adds a bonus dungeon with all the dead characters (apparently the emperor´s good side takes over Heaven, which is about as silly as that sounds).
FF3: Once again I played a remake, the DS one to be exact, which rebalnces some jobs. The game feels really episodic and more comical than the first two. At the core the writer of the game probably wanted to say something meaningful about death, but it just comes of as Star Wars prequels style philosophy.
FF4: The first game in the series that I would still call a truly great game. The only somewhat silly thing is that the way guest members of your party keeps dying gets somewhat melodramatic after a while. The remake for gameboy advance is filled to bursting with extra content.
The After Years: People (rightly) diss FFX-2 but I actually think this one is worse. FFX-2 at least have some sort of kitchy charm, this one just reads like cringy fanfiction.
FF5: Played it once and remember nothing about it, not even fan favorite Gilgamesh.
FF 6-7: There is nothing that can be said about these games that have not been said before. Classics!
FF 8: Some weird gameplay choices drags down this melodrama that do have some genuinly funny and creepy moments. Like many others I would not have minded if Laguna was the main character instead of Squall. Has some of Uematsu´s best work. I did not mind the twist at the end at all (you know the one).
FF9: My all-time favorite game.
FF10: A beautful game with a really nihilistic storyline. Seymour feels really misplaced as a villain in this, since obviously the true villain of this game is the futility of existence.
FFX-2:
FF12: Some found the eternal political intrigue tedious, but I really enjoyed it. Evil Cid and his imaginary friend Venat was great, wished they could have been in the game more. Main leveling gimmick works great once you learned it and the world feels real. I may be in the minority but I really like this one!

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Loved 7 loved 9.

Stopped playing 8 as soon as i got to the omg we all orphans scene.

15 is...eh...ff themed.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll only do those I played at least a bit. I was a late-comer to most of them and played them completely out of order.

FF4: A nice and simple FF game. A cliche but lovable story and nice protagonists.
FF5: A nice 'jobs' mechanic which made combat interesting. A bit too grindy in places. But the story and characters, albeit cliche, were fun in a sort of cheesy 'it's so bad that it's good' way.
FF6: My joint favourite along with 7. Really epic story and many great characters I could sympathize with. Very fun combat, especially with how different each character was in battle. Some parts of it were a bit annoying (e.g. I actually think the Opera scene mini-game is annoying as hell), but otherwise a great game.
FF7: My joint favourite along with 6. This was my first FF game that introduced me to the series and I could really sympathize with the characters. I enjoyed the plot and loved the combat with its materia mechanic. Lots of epic and emotional moments. It does get a lot of fanboyism on the net, but that doesn't change my opinion of it.
FF8: I played a bit of it, and what I played I generally enjoyed. Combat was fun and the setting was interesting. The characters were a bit meh personally, and apart from Zell, they all felt like cardboard cutouts.
FF9: Another one that I rank quite high on my list. I usually don't like cartoony, fairy-tale look in games, but this game has a lot of charm. Didn't care so much for Zidane or Garnet, but I really liked all of the supporting party members and their personalities and backstories. Very fun combat too. Didn't care for the card game though, so wasn't fond of the part where you had win a few matches in it to progress in the game.
FF10: Feels a tad too linear at first, but becomes pretty great later on. I didn't mind its English voice acting (many seem to hate it). I enjoyed most of the combat and the sphere grid mechanic. It was also the first FF game (I think) that introduced the ability to swap characters during battle, something I thought was a neat and strategic touch. Characters - some I liked, others, like Tidus, I found to be kind of meh.
FFX-2: I played very little of it and got bored after half an hour.
FF12: Got very far in it, but eventually it lost my interest. I didn't like the real time combat at all. Found it tedious and would rather it was turn-based so that I could control every character's actions myself rather than letting the A.I. do it. Found the story to be bland too and most characters were meh.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Personal opinions only, and won't try to spoil any bits)

I liked FF1 for the NES alot.

I could not get int II

I never played III if I remember correctly.

I played IV I think it was 2 in the US. I beat it but to be honest, I think it kind of sucked a bit. Like, sure great length for the cash money but it sucked toward the middle and just never recovered for me.

I played a rom translation of V, the job system was fascinating for me. I liked some of the base bonuses you got for mastering a job that were like passive abilities for your character while you were whatever other job, overall, thought the game was boring. I didn't really like the music, didn't 'hate' the main villain, didn't feel attached to anyone, some mechanics were good though.

I played VI, and am probably gonna say this one was my favorite. The right mix of weird stuff that makes no sense but it's there, and good music. Loved the Esper system, and the level up bonuses you could pass around via the Espers.

I got VII for Christmas one year, and played it. Loved it for what it was. I didn't like the pacing of the story as much, and being stuck in Midgard as long. Really not a fan of the cussing just cause it makes it real aspect of the dialogue. I REALLY did not like Cloud. Didn't like his name, didn't like him, didn't like Barret either. Vincent was ok. Big fan of Tifa, but wish it had more focus on her martial arts instructor. Materia system was like a stupidly bamboozled version of the Esper system. Wish they just kept espers. Have no idea what made Sephiroth so popular. Thought he was kind of stupid, and should have just died and that should have been the end of him. Really, Felt VI was MUCH better game. (I'd elaborate but I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't played it). Really though, VII was pretty good, worth a play through if you're interested in modern JRPG's and want to see how and where and why alot of the elements of rpg games gets it from. Was it worth all the praise and adulation? No. Absolutely not.

FFVIII if you want really contrived weirdness. Actually may be one of the few people that liked the Draw and Junction system.. I wouldn't not have had the spells be expendable items but maybe if it just had to be that way, maybe make it an elemental energy gauge and you are draining the elemental energy from um.. fish.. and behemoths. Yeah, leave me alone @EpicFILE . I like fish.

FFIX Really didn't not view this as a game that had nostalgia in mind. It was my least favorite of the series up until that point. I DID like Vivi, and some of the music. Kuja probably one of the most ridiculous enemies of the game.. then there is the actual, well don't let me spoil it.

FFX Meg Ryan in aquatic sports games. I like that they tried to get rid of being level 15 or whatever level. I kind of fill the sphere grid could be a re-inventing of the wheel, in a good way. A spherical way.. haha. Yes, I'm not sure the sphere grid was well implemented, it might almost would have been better if there were different grids that people could access. Like Auron doesn't get the same sphere that Lulu gets maybe. Aside from that, really liked alot to do with X. I though Seymour was pretty stupid, maybe the stupidest of all of Final Fantasy ever. That is saying alot.
Meg Ryan was not liked either.

FFXI I played this game ALOT. I mean, way more than I played the others, but it was online only. I really felt the older final fantasy xi was better than newer final fantasy xi. Why? I dunno. I like being punished for playing games maybe. I dunno. Meow.

FFXII I really didn't like this game. Apparently a lot of people didn't but, it greatly exceeds not liking Vaan, or Penelo, or Ashe or whoever else. It was just a big overly cinematic game. I didn't like the version of Cid, or the political 'intrigue' aspect they tried to put into it. I liked the overworld aspects, and the way combat was handled. But there was just a yawn factor I can't put my paws on. Meow. I kind of lost faith in Final Fantasy after playing XII. The designs of the characters etc. The judges maybe were the 'coolest' part of the game. I am not a fan of thonged bunny women. Lots going on in this game that made me not like it. Bad voice acting. Bad setting, boring story. Etc. Razzler. King Razzler. Ok, yeah I'll quit the nagging.

FFXIII Ok, I had said IX was my least favorite up until that point. This one takes the whole bakery, no.. the grocery store. Forget the cake. It didn't even bake one, it burnt it.. killed everybody that had anything to do with baking it. Sadly, this game somehow was called good by masses of people. How? You don't even get to choose anything. You can't stop at a town, the crafting sucks, there's really no side plots, just side missions, the main villain is so dumb it actually blew my mind this was even a game Square put out. Really, this game defied the boundaries of massive flops in my opinion. How? Even IX was fun in comparison. Leveling up? Hold the button down to spend your points. You can't choose, except to skip a stat bonus. No point really. It's boring, it even keeps your from leveling up, which is in my opinion WORSE than level scaling to keep monsters relevant. It was just a horrible game, and some how the white knight crowd defended it.. I am almost certain they had hired goons troll people that had legitimate arguments about why they disliked the game. That sounds ridiculous, but this has been proven time and again on so many other issues, it wouldn't surprise me in the least way if it turned out agenda driven farts had infiltrated the game market and used this tactic.

FFXIV I played this a little bit. Really I didn't like WoW, and this is basically WoW with better graphics. The lead designer literally told his group play WoW, and take the elements from that game and put in "our game". The original version of the game supposedly sucked so hard they almost had to take it offline, they did remake it under the new lead designer guy. If given a choice I'd rather play XIV than WoW. But I don't play that stuff no mo. Meow.

Square really has made a lot of bad choices, the books show it. BUT, they are willing to take the risks, and they get the pay off occasionally. I just wish they'd go back to the basics maybe. If you take the NES FF1 and just updated the graphics and sound, it'd laughed out of the market place. I get kind of hopeful though, thinking about RPG Maker. Maybe I can send them a game and they'll kick me in the kitty legs and tell me to shut up.

Countyoungblood

Sleeping Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Isn´t that like right at the end though?

I dont think so but i wouldnt know i never finished it. I literally just said "done" outloud and turned off the console.

Possibly the lamest twist ive ever seen. I liked other parts but this. This was too much.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FF3
I played the DS version. It has my favorite world map music, Eternal Wind. (I even have this song's cover in my laptop!)
The character seems kinda simplistic. Don't get very far with it though.

FF4
Played the GBA version. I don't know if I'm stupid or whatever, but this game is insanely hard.
Maybe it's suited for SNES-era gamers, but I come from PS2 generation.
Nothing really stand out for me despite it being one of the most iconic FF.

FF5
This is the most forgettable one IMO. Don't know why.
But there's Gilgamesh! I love Gilgameseh and his thematic music.

FF6
No wonder this is called the very best FF of all time. There are many LOL moments as well as dramatic moments.
Puts me in emotional roller coaster. The world is unique, have lovely characters and the music doesn't sound like any other FF.
And who would guess the most terrible, fascinatingly evil villain of FF was a meh and laughable dude in the beginning of game?

FF7
It's great. I don't have to mention the great stuff of this game because it's popular.
Oh yes, I love chocobo breeding :D

FF8
I only watched my brother playing it when I was a kid. Seems cool. The battle music is wow.
Can't say much about the game beyond that initial impression, though.

FF10
Superb music and amazing world. The overall feel of the game is surreal. I think it's the most artistic FF ever made.
I love the cool summons too.

FF12
I think it's understandable why it doesn't feel like FF. There's no legendary duo. (Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu)
It doesn't have that modern-taste illustration of Tetsuya Nomura or the classic feel of Yoshitaka Amano.
Don't really understand what happened in the story, but I enjoyed the game overall.
That monster hunting is really fun.

That being said, my favorite is FF6 and FF10.
And the ones I don't really like is FF4 and FF5

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This won't be short, but I will mention all the FF games I've played.

Final Fantasy I:
Played the PSX version first. Good, although could never be bothered to finish it. Perhaps one day.

Final Fantasy II:
Could not get into it. Didn't get past the starting area.

Final Fantasy III:
Tried the game after hearing module music mixes of the soundtrack and I tried the NES version first through emulation. Was pretty good. Have the DS version now and it's okay. Not amazing, but okay.

Final Fantasy IV:
First ever true RPG that I ever played and my absolutely favorite in the series. To me, the characters were interesting, were complex and struggled all while trying to save everyone. Music was top notch and I even made some remastered versions of them to prove it. This one is the one I recommend starting with.

Final Fantasy V:
Another favorite of mine. While not the first to introduce the changeable job system, as that came with FF3, it was a nice little game with a good challenge and super hard bosses that were scattered about. The summons were really well done and the story was good. Music was also very well made.

Final Fantasy VI:
A good game, damn good, but I just am not seeing it as the best of all time. I love Kefka as the villain since he is very over-the-top and a great barrel of laughs, but the story and the characters were, in my opinion, FAR too complex. As a kid, I had no idea what was going on and I was confused how the stats worked out to get a good advantage. Music is amazing, though!

Final Fantasy VII:
Played the first version when it came out and I was hooked. Music is phenomenal, story and characters are complex, but not too much and the exploration was crazy! Materia system, while insanely huge, was nice since it was the first Final Fantasy game I can remember when changeable magic and characters where anyone could use magic, special skills, etc. outside of needing a specific class. Not my #1, as that goes to FF4, but it's very much up there.

Final Fantasy VIII:
Did not care for it. The change in art style and the characters, for me, just were a turn off. Music is really damn good, though.

Final Fantasy IX:
This is what brought me back to the days of the earlier Final Fantasy games and I was happy about it. Music is very well composed, characters were fun to use and control, battle system was inspired from FF7 and so was the magic system, in terms of leveling and who can learn what. Did not really care for the card game, but other than that, solid title of which I now have on Steam.

Final Fantasy X:
After hearing for years how much people loved this game, I gave it a try. Did not care for Meg Ryan playing an underwater soccer game. Tidus was whiny as hell and probably the character I hate the most in almost any work of fiction, right next to Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist. No one can ever change my mind about him ever. Music, as usual, was top notch and deserves praise.

Final Fantasy XII:
Played it for all of 10 minutes and then stopped. The battle system was probably the worst I ever used and it was not fun. Music was okay.

Final Fantasy Tactics:
Another beautiful title and I played it on the original Playstation first, not the PSP. Superb music, complex and engaging story, ability to build an army for the campaigns you ran and the strategy was well good. It was a difficult title, probably the hardest, for me, to ever beat, but once you did, it was grand with a bittersweet ending.

Final Fantasy IV - The After Years:
Good, but not as good. This felt...weird after having played Final Fantasy IV, but it brought some new and interesting tunes and mechanics. The later generation, I thought, was not as good as the original characters, but they have their place. Did love that you could play as Golbez in the DLC.

Any Final Fantasy games I didn't mention, aside from Legends and Adventure on the Gameboy, I never played and/or didn't care for. For me, the music is really what drew me into most of these titles and that is why I will play Dimensions when I get the chance.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK HOLD ON A MINUTE! This is real weird..
I liked the animated menu screen portraits of FFXIII. Yeah. Sorry, forgot about mentioning that.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My 1st FF game was VII and I liked it until my friend came over and played it non-stop which killed my love for it. Now when people mention VII I shudder

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I have to be honest, I really love the job system in Final Fantasy is 3 + 5. I don't know why, possibly because it gave you the ability to play different ways? And I have to admit, I get kind of sad whenever I see people put down Final Fantasy 7. Aside from Final Fantasy Tactics, that is so far the only Final Fantasy game I have enjoyed enough to play it to the end. I actually got bored with most of them, including 2, 4 and 6, Final Fantasy is like, LOL, just Spam summoning spells and you win, and I found Final Fantasy XIII to be very boring and way too linear. I also have a nasty rant for Final Fantasy XIV, which I haven't actually played, but I have virtually no interest in it, but most people probably know the drill by now so I'm not going to go into it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's been half a month and I didn't give signs of life, not even in my website.

I've been studying about my project and I discovered something that I definitely think it will be better.

On the other hand, I still have to learn how to use it properly so I need time.
This catgirl name is Elyune.
Her hobby is cooking and eating sweets. She's also an alchemist.

Cat_girl.jpg
catgirl-1.jpg
Raptor Revolt Demo 4_10_2021 3_12_09 PM.png

Latest custom tileset work for RAPTOR REVOLT in this beach scene set in the acheroraptor capital in Ridge City, Hell Creek.
unknown.png

I figured it was about time to update the battle sprite for one of my characters. The old one was the first time I ever drew a battle sprite, and filled with lines that shouldn't be there. So far, the new one is cleaner.
EQAQeW8.png

This was supposed to become her neutral talking stance, but now i just feel like she looks a little puzzled :D
I'm also open for any name suggestions, as i seriously suck at those. In my notes everything is just THE CITY or THAT GUY and THIS PRIESTESS or whatever :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkBear