FFVI Styled Party system?

Gabu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would like to have a Party System in my game that's pretty much exactly like the party system in FFVI, where you have 4 main active party members that you travel with and the rest of the characters you've recruited into your party stay on a different map, like an Airship or a Headquarters of some kind (Map X); and to change your active party members members, you'd have to talk to an inactive party member who's wandering around Map X and when you say yes it opens up a Party window where you can select the 4 actors you'd like to use. 
Also, If possible, when you recruit a new member into your party; I'd like them to go into your active party if you have space available for them, but if you don't they go to the Map X instead.

Is something like this possible in MV, if so can someone give me a thorough explanation on how I can add something like this to my game. it would be Greatly appreciated! 

EDIT #2: I know about Yanflys Party_System plugin but Have a problem with it. I don't want the Party_System Formation menu to be active on the regular menu, I only want the Party_System Formation Menu to show up when you talk to an inactive Party member and Select "Yes I'd like to change party members.". But I Also want to still be able to use the Regular formation option that's available without the Plugin so player to be able edit the formation of the characters in the active party just in case they want to use a different over world sprite to walk around with However I don't want the inactive members to show up on the Regular formation page.

EDIT #3: Okay, I made 2 short video's demonstrating the menus in FFVI -Here- and in RMMV -Here- to help me explain what I'm trying, though even with these videos I'm not sure I can explain it very well, I'll try my best though.In FFVI, When you click the formation option, the cursor will appear over the characters in your active party. You can select a character and move them up or down to change their position in your party, the one on top will be the character you walk around the world with. The Formation option in RMMVworks almost identically however, in FFVI if you hit down while your cursor is over the character on the bottom of your party, the cursor will go back to to the character on top but In RMMV, if you hit down while your on the 4th character, it'll go the the 5th character, a member who's inactive. Instead of going back to the top of the list. I only want the 4 main Active party members, the ones you battle with, to appear when you click formation. I don't want actors 5, 6, 7 ETC to appear unless you've chosen them to be in the active party.For the inactive members I want them to be Walking around the airship, as they do in FFVI, and when you talk to them it'll open a dialog so the actor can say something, then It'll ask if you want to change party members. When you hit yes I want it to open up a menu that's pretty much the same as the party formation menu that opens up in FFVI.

I think I'm going to try to redo this post. I feel like I did a really bad job explaining what I was trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...Dude, that was possible in 2000. In fact it was in the example game made by the fan-translator Don Miguel.

Just put an event activated by the switch of recruiting the character in the airship map, and on the second, empty page make it activated by having the character in the party.

Just be careful, because in MV you can have more characters in the party than you battle with.

Gabu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Waterguy
I think you're misunderstanding the question. I know how to add members to my party, that's not what I was asking, sorry for the confusion. I guess I didn't explain my question well enough.

I'm trying to make a party system like this. I only want the 4 active party members to be in the group and if I talk to an inactive one they'll say some dialog then it'll ask if I want to switch party members, if yes, it'll open up a party management menu. Also, I don't want to be able to see the inactive party members when I'm editing the formation from the regular menu.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, like Chrono Trigger.
I didn't get to the point of FF4 where you can choose party members. I thought you removed the characters when you entered the map and just added them when you talked to the events - if you got less than four members in it already.

But to open a menu to change the party members, you'll need... well, a menu to switch the party members.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't get to the point of FF4 where you can choose party members.

In fact... in Latin numbers, VI is 6, not 4...

(In FF4, at least in the Advance and Complete Collection edition, you can choose the game characters in the Tower of Mysidia after you reach the Moon in the Lunar Whale for second time).

@Gabu As for your question, I think this plugin made by Yanfly is the answer you need: YEP,29 - Party System

It's not the same as FFVI from SNES, neither from the Mobile/PC version, but it has the same options as the system used in the game.

Wookiee420

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
once you figure out your programming Echo607 on youtube has a tutorial on how to make the "tent/airship"

Gabu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Oscar92player
Thank you. I actually came across that plugin Recently while searching on google to see if anyone has made a FFVI styled party system in MV. Unfortunately I have a few problems with it. I don't want the Party_System Formation menu to be active on the regular menu, I only want the Party_System Formation Menu to show up when you talk to an inactive Party member and Select "Yes I'd like to change party members.". But I Also want to still be able to use the Regular formation option that's available without the Plugin so player to be able edit the formation of the characters in the active party just in case they want to use a different over world sprite to walk around with However I don't want the inactive members to show up on the Regular formation page.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense, cause this is really difficult to explain.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Part of this can be done with eventing. If you talk to an inactive member put an event command which asks you if you wish to change party members, then if you pick yes, call the party menu (I believe there's an event command to call it directly, and if you use a plug-in most give you a command you can call to call it directly).

However, changing the formation command so that it does not let  you select the inactive members is impossible without a plug-in. If you wish to ask how to use an existing plug-in to do this, we'll have to move your thread to plug-in support. If you decide to request  your own plug-in, you'll need to make a request for it under plug-in requests. Let me know which way you wish to go and I (or another mod) can move it for you.

Personally, I'd suggest plug-in requests. I don't think there is any plug-in out there that can do what you want at the moment (even Yanfly's) but I could be wrong.

Gabu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
once you figure out your programming Echo607 on youtube has a tutorial on how to make the "tent/airship"
Can You PM me a link to that tutorial?

Part of this can be done with eventing. If you talk to an inactive member put an event command which asks you if you wish to change party members, then if you pick yes, call the party menu (I believe there's an event command to call it directly, and if you use a plug-in most give you a command you can call to call it directly).

However, changing the formation command so that it does not let  you select the inactive members is impossible without a plug-in. If you wish to ask how to use an existing plug-in to do this, we'll have to move your thread to plug-in support. If you decide to request  your own plug-in, you'll need to make a request for it under plug-in requests. Let me know which way you wish to go and I (or another mod) can move it for you.

Personally, I'd suggest plug-in requests. I don't think there is any plug-in out there that can do what you want at the moment (even Yanfly's) but I could be wrong.
Yea, Maybe posting it in the plug-in Requests section of the forum would be a good idea. I'm just worried that someone wont understand what I'm trying to ask and may possibly make a plugin that doesn't function as I was hoping which would make me feel bad.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can disable the formation option in the editor and do the event part and call the formation menu during the event.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The trick is to be as detailed as possible. Also it appears I can't move the thread into plug-in requests, I'll ask another mod to move it, or if they would prefer you to make another post they will let you know at that point in time.

Gabu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@kovak
Well I still want the formation tab to be there however I want it to function how it would without a plugin and I only want you to be able see and move the active party members.  When you talk to an inactive party member it opens up the Yanfly Party_System formation menu which will allow you to add or remove members to and from the active party.

@bgillisp
I don't mind making a new topic, I'll probably need a bit to think of how to properly format what I'm trying to ask anyways. We can leave this one open for now though right? just in case someone is able to help out.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I moved it for you.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is actually pretty simple since you don't want a full menu. You just need to make a Common Event for adding and removing party members. It will require a few variables. I can put it together and screenshot it for you if I have a chance tonight (if not then Wednesday Night).

You won't need a plugin at all.

Deadbird Productions has a HQ tutorial too where you can switch party members by talking to the inactive party member as well.

Edit: I see you do want a menu. Again... this can be done with event though a bit more complex. You can design a map to look like a menu or set YEP Party Menu to open only by plugin command (which would be easier I can also put together a small example of how to do that instead). I am pretty sure you can even set it up so you can only access the active party to change formation. I'll need to play around with it though.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Based on what i've understood (at least now i got it) he wants to manage the current party and change the members via script call.

Idk if it's possible to do it with common events since it needs to check if the actor is in the current active formation or not to be then removed from the party.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should be able to return the variable for the active party using the editors variable system. Alot of people don't realize how powerful the editor really is... people were doing the things we use scripts and plugins for before there was such a thing as scripts and plugins! 

I've learned a lot reviewing some old rm2000/2k3 games recently but I have to poke at it. It should be doable... atleast I know how it should be doable but I have to get in front of the editor after work if I have time. Hopefully someone can come along and help before I'd have a chance too.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I got he wants to use a menu... I may be wrong, but my suggestion of using events for this got rejected...

Gabu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 @Arcmagik & @kovak

Okay, I made 2 short video's demonstrating the menus in FFVI -Here- and in RMMV -Here- to help me explain what I'm trying, though even with these videos I'm not sure I can explain it very well, I'll try my best though.

In FFVI, When you click the formation option, the cursor will appear over the characters in your active party. You can select a character and move them up or down to change their position in your party, the one on top will be the character you walk around the world with. The Formation option in RMMV works almost identically however, in FFVI if you hit down while your cursor is over the character on the bottom of your party, the cursor will go back to to the character on top but In RMMV, if you hit down while your on the 4th character, it'll go the the 5th character, a member who's inactive. Instead of going back to the top of the list. I only want the 4 main Active party members, the ones you battle with, to appear when you click formation. I don't want actors 5, 6, 7 ETC to appear unless you've chosen them to be in the active party.
For the inactive members I want them to be Walking around the airship, as they do in FFVI, and when you talk to them it'll open a dialog so the actor can say something, then It'll ask if you want to change party members. When you hit yes I want it to open up a menu that's pretty much the same as the party formation menu that opens up in FFVI.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I said, the part of having only 4 party members is easy, just use a variable, set it to game data > party members, and use a conditional branch to only add a party member if there are less than 4 members already in the party.

But when I mentioned that you aid you already knew how to add members to your party, so I thought that part of the doubt was finished.

Now, the changing party when you got a fifth member, that you'll need a plugin for.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Gabu

Firstly, don't add inactive party members to the party in the first place add inactive and remove actives via the inactive events on the airship then it won't scroll passed the 4th actor and should function exactly like the FFVI formation command.

Also if you do what @Waterguy mentioned above then you will not be able to add passed that 4th actor.

Secondly, do you want the menu to look exactly the same or just function exactly the same? If you are wanting the look that will require you to make up some graphics.

If you want the functionality then it should be easy to achieve with the assets that are already available. I'll look at it tonight for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys one of our Animal Crossing Villagers (Sherb) just told us that he hoped that the villager who was having her birthday had as memorable of a birthday as his sixth birthday. Which was "the one where the clown went into our house and never came back" and that "his mother says she still sometimes hears the honking in the walls".
My tutor has been furloughed for 8 weeks. If we are too... sucks, but it's a lot of game making time...
Social distancing extended for another week. Personally I'm cool, but this is depressing.
GOOOOD MOOORNING!
APRIL WILL BE BETTER!
First time I've seen the shelves full in my local shop in a while. Still no soap, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khanmovies