Iamaperson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking into improving my game by adding things in it to make it stand out from other RPG Maker games. I'm fairly confident about this because I'm at least able to create unique graphics and whatnot by myself. But one thing that bothers me about RPG Maker MV is the battle system is so damn generic! Almost every RPG maker game I find has a very similar battle system.

So I was looking into making a battle system kinda like what you see in the GBA games Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku 1 and 2, and Dragon Ball Z Buu's Fury, where you simply attack your enemies on the field. Depending on the party member you switch to (through the formation option in the main menu) you have special attacks and abilities you can use against the enemies. For example the mage character will be able to use magic like fire, blizzard, etc, while the warrior has no magic but has plenty of sword skills and the like. Hopefully I've made this easy enough to understand.

I'm thinking something like this I'm sorry you might have to skim through the video a bit. I couldn't find a more to the point video.

Maybe I'm being a bit ambitious here, but it's worth a shot anyway.

If a script is necessary to make this idea into a reality, I am a complete noob with scripts. I don't understand a thing about them. But I'm willing to learn.

Does anyone have any ideas or any advice they can give to me to implement this system by any chance?

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Combat at ~3:00.) Looks like an ABS, a.k.a. "action battle system", there are a few plugins for that sort of thing but they tend to be pretty complex. I think QABS and AlphaABS are both functional, haven't tried either of them myself though.

Alternatively you could achieve something like this with a LOT of eventing (branches, switches/variables, pictures, move routes, etc). It's possible, but will require a lot of logic, planning, and work. Generally speaking it's probably easier to learn how to use one of the existing plugins. :kaoswt:

Iamaperson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(Combat at ~3:00.) Looks like an ABS, a.k.a. "action battle system", there are a few plugins for that sort of thing but they tend to be pretty complex. I think QABS and AlphaABS are both functional, haven't tried either of them myself though.

Alternatively you could achieve something like this with a LOT of eventing (branches, switches/variables, pictures, move routes, etc). It's possible, but will require a lot of logic, planning, and work. Generally speaking it's probably easier to learn how to use one of the existing plugins. :kaoswt:
Thanks for the advice! I'm really bad with confusing things, but maybe I can pull this off somehow. Probably by using the plugins and figuring them out somehow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Quick! Someone give me a snake pun about moving.
Meet the crew...Arrrr!
Who knew modern medieval was an actual music genre? I don't know what the youtube algorithms are doing but for once they found something actually fascinating:
Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rai1209