Kalombi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
We've decided to go with a drawn look for our adventure-econ game and have an illustrator who's working on making maps and sprites for us. These maps will be Parallaxes in our game.

What do you think of the style ? We plan to have our Alpha 2 version live Monday night!

prisonexterior.png
Bridge to Trading Post MV Map.png
_MonopolyTownSquare.png
Inn Interior.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just wanted to mention that I've been working with the team who is creating this project and it's really impressive. Can't wait to show people Alpha 2 and hopefully get some feedback from the community! Anyone interested in alpha testing, PM either OP or me -- any help is greatly appreciated!

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really dig the hand-painted aesthetic here, it's really nicely done. I'd be really curious to see what the waterfalls and river would look like animated, but I'm assuming these are mock-ups for now.

My biggest point of feedback would be the lack of consistency between the hand-painted backgrounds with the pixelated sprites placed on top. For example, the houses, the pots, the chopped wood, the cut stump and fallen log don't match the same aesthetic as the background. I'm not sure if these are place holders, but it really clashes with the background in my opinion. It also makes me wonder what kind of character art style you'll be going for, but I couldn't see the default styled characters meshing well here either.

The first screenshot with the castle has the most visually cohesive style. That's the style I would go for with the houses as well. Looks good, nice job.

Kalombi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really dig the hand-painted aesthetic here, it's really nicely done. I'd be really curious to see what the waterfalls and river would look like animated, but I'm assuming these are mock-ups for now.

My biggest point of feedback would be the lack of consistency between the hand-painted backgrounds with the pixelated sprites placed on top. For example, the houses, the pots, the chopped wood, the cut stump and fallen log don't match the same aesthetic as the background. I'm not sure if these are place holders, but it really clashes with the background in my opinion. It also makes me wonder what kind of character art style you'll be going for, but I couldn't see the default styled characters meshing well here either.

The first screenshot with the castle has the most visually cohesive style. That's the style I would go for with the houses as well. Looks good, nice job.
Thanks a bunch for that feedback. That is definitely something we are considering as we go forward here. Alpha II is out today! https://fifeferisland.itch.io/fialpha2v1web

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
I like the style; it reminds me of children's books.

Kalombi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you, we are fully committing to this art style, and all the backgrounds and characters will be of the same style. The icons too we are costumizing. But not the items or the tile sets yet.
Glad you like it! :)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Is your avatar image a part of your game? I kinda have a weakness for asteroids ^^

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really like the style. My only point of critisism is the way the trees feel to flat on top of the graad in picture 2.

Keep it up tho . Looks great xD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Would opening a topic with the tutorial be interesting?
Just finished my first Slip into Ruby since last July! It'll be up and added to the main post tomorrow, along with a new Jump into Javascript.
to pass the time.pngTesting out making boxes and packs of items. These things are always fun to do.
Rural Japan Tiles, Giant Dragon Sprite, Paint Icons? & Game Spicy Pixel Fonts | RPG Maker News #31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captainness