robby214ty

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Hey, I am unsure if it's possible, but I was thinking of making an rpg game, but instead of when you fight you go to the combat screen, you equip different skills (1-0 all are gonna be hotkeys, and basic attack is click) And you can fight enemies on the map itself. Like, they are walking around and you can walk up to them, and just fight it out right there. I'm wondering if rpg maker would be the right program to use for such a task. I know that It's a "combat screen" kinda maker and it's like heroes on one side, and monsters on the other. I'm just curious if it's possible to do something like this. (Let me know if someone else has the same idea, I looked a bit and couldn't find anything about it.)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What you describe is what is known as an ABS system (action battle system), and that requires scripts to pull off (unless there is a really clever way with eventing that I don't know about). Last I checked you can't use scripts in Lite, so you will need the full version to do that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, in most cases this will require a script and you can't use scripts in Ace Lite - that is one of the restrictions compared to the full version.

Theoretically it is possible to make an evented Action Battle System, but that would require someone with very good eventing knowledge and has several restrictions on what can be done and what not.

Best way is probably to wait for a sale on one of the steam resellers - Ace is usually available for around 10$ several times a year.

https://isthereanydeal.com/

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xuincy