File Corruption Adverse Effects

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So there I was, working on my project for several hours feeling confident in all the work I have put in. I press the save button then the unexpected happened! Every developers worst nightmare! The blue screen of death! Da da daaaaaa! Ok, shifting onto a more serious note, I rebooted and went to check to see if the changes made it and I was greeted with this lovely message.

Yea, my heart sank when I saw that. Knowing how the VX Ace file structure works, I took the RVPROJ2 file called game and replaced it with one from backup (renamed the older one corrupted just to hang onto it.) and the project booted up with all of my previous changes intact.

So, the question I have is that will there be any adverse effects in placing a new project file in place of the corrupted one and what is the likelihood of facing problems down the road as I develop. Like I said before all the data is there and seems to be functioning. Or, is it smarter for me to revert to a week old backup.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. Project files don't seem to actually do or contain anything. I don't really know why it's there. Maybe just to select <something> in that folder to indicate which project you want to work on. All the important stuff is in the Data files. If you get corruption messages (unable to load ...) for any of those, you could be in trouble, depending on how much work you've done on them.

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No. Project files don't seem to actually do or contain anything. I don't really know why it's there. Maybe just to select <something> in that folder to indicate which project you want to work on. All the important stuff is in the Data files. If you get corruption messages (unable to load ...) for any of those, you could be in trouble, depending on how much work you've done on them.
and strangely enough, the file that was preventing rpg maker from loading anything up was the project file itself xD. I checked all of the files that I know were going to be saved to and they all made it. There were some conflicted copies between me and one drive so I assume the ones that were only on my PC were the ones that were bad. I must have saved earlier than I thought. (unless rpg maker autosaves)

EDIT:

I did a check on the conflicted copies and the ones on my PC were corrupt and renamed leaving the older files in their place. One drive just saved me from a lot of trouble xD. It's good to know that it offers a layer of redundancy in this kind of situation.

One Drive... I will never doubt you again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, when you have trouble loading a project, you should ALWAYS start with the .rvproj2 file first. THEN if it gives you errors on others, it'll actually tell you the name of the file, and you just replace it each time it tells you.

FWIW, the Game.exe file is also a "nothing" file that just serves as a front-end. Your game is in the .rgssad file that's created when you compress your project, not in the game.exe file. That just loads and executes the .rgssad

Stapleton

Underground
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gaeilge
Primarily Uses
N/A
Its the virtually the medium for information of your project the .exe. Like ram on your cpu. If left corrupted it could corrupt your game files. Had that happen a time or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS