Filenames with special accents (ä, è, ô...) - Loading problems

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Narch, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Narch

Narch Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hello.

I made the mistake of starting developement with weird accents on some filenames, I'm in the process of renaming them to convention.

The font I use supports a whole bunch of special characters.

My question is, why some people have no problems loading these files, even in USA or UK, but some can't load the files?
    What is the technical reason behind them not being able to load it.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MV uses network technology as it is HTML-based, and that is a requirement for deployment to multiple platforms.
    Under networking rules, only latin letters and a very limited number of special signs are allowed - even spaces are forbidden in filenames.
    Originally, all operating systems used the same rules, but then they began to add rules and functions to allow spaces and non-latin letters into filenames. But every OS used other ways to do this, that is why the results are no longer compatible.

You can see the same in error messages of your browser - spaces are replaced with %20 exactly because the browser engine can't handle spaces in filenames.

sometimes the OS overrides for characters that are illegal under networking rules work, but often they don't - and that depends on a lot of things in configuration.
    The only save way is to limit yourself to filenames that conform to networking rules.

3. Narch

Narch Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    So I guess I need to doublecheck that I don't have space in filenames too. dayum I should have known.

Thanks for the explanation!