Files corrupt whenever scripts are added.

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Hannime, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi everyone, I'm Hannime. I keep having an issue with RPG Maker VX Ace where I add any script to the game (for example, a script that allows me to change the titlescreen later in the game) and it works fine at first. I can add it and then work on the game but when I save the game and close it so I can turn my laptop off that's when the problems start. When I later return to continue working I get the pop up saying 'unexpected file format'. This is really annoying as it prevents me from doing the things with the game that I want to. It's not just an issue with my laptop either as it has happened before on my previous laptop. Does anyone know how I can stop this or will I just have to wait until the game is fully complete before I add scripts?

Also another issue: With some of my games, after adding a lot to them (no scripts though), I get the popups 'failed to load ______ data'. EVERY single data file makes this popup too. So I'm fully losing my files. Is there a fix for that too?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is not something that happens to others, so it is not an issue with Ace, but with your set up.
    Create a new project. Do nothing to it. Close it.
    Copy its version of the file Game.rvproj2 into your existing project. Save it
    Close down your laptop and see what happens when you reboot it. Do you still get exactly the same problem?

Moving this to Tech Support.

3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also try using better tags. This is not facebook or instagram. Tags have semantics. Edited.

4. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm sorry. I will in future.

5. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I'm sorry it was in the wrong forum, I am new to this. I've never used any sort of forum like this before. Also, I have done as instructed and I still get the errors. Is there anything else I can do?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is the filepath of your projects?
    Please give the full path from drive letter to project directories.

And which Version of Ace are you using?

7. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    C:\Users\Girls\Documents\RPGVXAce\ (Then there is the list of projects)
    By version what do you mean? If it's just the program it's VX Ace... ^^;

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Steam or standalone, and the Version number itself.
    It looks like your program is damaged and needs to be repaired

9. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I downloaded it via the website rather than steam.
    It says 1.02 in my settings.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you have any kind of online syncing attached to your project folder? That can cause corrupt files. I suggest NOT putting them in C:\Users\anything but keep them right away from any folder that Windows knows exists.

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then you might have a slightly old Version. Can you tell us where exactly you downloaded it, so that we can check if that file is damaged? And then redownload and install the newest Version.

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think I know what the problem is. Windows does NOT save projects as soon as you hit the save file, but it sends it to the system to save when it is free. If you power off the computer too fast, that save command never gets processed, or only gets partially processed, and it corrupts the project. This has nothing to do with scripts and everything to do with how windows handles file commands (and unfortunately this has been true for how file commands have been done since the old DOS days of the 80's-90's), and the only fix for that is to always use the windows shutdown command when you turn off for the night, so it finishes all file commands.

Also if you have the Steam version it by default has the Steam cloud, which it will try to synch your projects to/from steam. If you save then shutdown, the synch will not be done, and it will try to go back a version on you. If that is the case, best to go to steam and disable the cloud synch feature of it, or do what I do and move all projects to a different directory so that steam cloud has no idea where they are and doesn't try to synch them anymore.

13. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I never installed it via steam and I'm afraid I lack the money to repurchase it on there.
    Also, I do turn it off via the shut down command all the time. I also leave my laptop for about 20 minutes just on my desktop screen whilst I go do something whenever i close RPG maker. It only ever corrupts like that when I add scripts. I can make a project normally without scripts and close it like I usually would and it works just fine.

14. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    20 minutes doesn't guarantee it is done, but it SHOULD be done. I just say that as I had a computer that back in the DOS days would need a full hour before it could turn off before it would stop corrupting files. Then of course I found the DOS command to force all in queue files to be finished, and got around that.

Still I'd move it out of the directory. I've had terrible luck with anything in that directory, as files love to get corrupted there.

Also...incidentally, do know that if you add saves it is normal for your current saves to no longer work, as the scripts add variables which do not exist in the old saves, but are trying to reference them. This will cause many a undefined error when you play a game. Some scripts too completely redo how save files are done. This is less common though, but when it happens the only way to get around it is delete all your save files (not the project, just the saved games) and go from there.

15. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I went here: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-vx-ace
    to purchase it a while back.
    On my new laptop when I wanted to download it I just ended up going to my account and selected my order cause it lets you download what you've already bought there.

16. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't save whilst play testing so that can't be an issue if that's what you're referring to. I will try to change the directory though. I'll give it a go soon.

17. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Something breaks file integrity on your computers. If it isn't Windows shutdown or a cloud service or a damaged editor, then it is something else - one of your other background programs most likely. Can you list them? Please check the list in the Windows program properties, you'll most likely forget to list most of them from memory exactly because they work in the background and not as main programs.

18. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm a little bit of a newbie with background programs and such. How would I get the list? I'm really sorry for the stupid question.

19. Hannime

Hannime Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think I may have found a work around. I apologise for wasting people's time. Thank you all for the replies though.

20. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And what is that workaround?
    That info might help in point ing toward the true cause.

And you get the list of installed programs in the Windows properties in the program list where you can deinstall every program as well.