Final Fantasy is feared to be a dying franchise that has long passed it's peak to Square Enix...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by AwesomeCool, Apr 14, 2016.

1. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I remember when Zidane gave a headbutt to someone else.

[​IMG]

This is a realistic recreation of the in-game event. Because, you know, it was in-game, right? ;^D

2. PixelMister

PixelMister Halcyon Days - Project Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The series in my opinion; isn't dead - it's just taken a route which old fans aren't familiar with.

At the end of the day, good series come and go; that's how industry works - if something didn't die, something new wouldn't take it's place.

I know people often look up to Final Fantasy games as an inspiration for their endeavours within game design, I myself do it to. However there are plenty of other series, which

are much better, which offer a different spin on a traditional RPG.

Take the 'Tales Of' series, it's brilliant - yet it is usually overlooked because Square Enix, is at the fore of traditional JRPG design.

But looking at the series, and looking back at where Final Fantasy had it's downfall - I'd say Final Fantasy 7 was a part of that.

Final Fantasy through to Final Fantasy VI, are all brilliant games, heck - Final Fantasy IV is at the top of most 100 Best RPG Lists. This was because they all stuck to a similar formula, and this began to change with Final Fantasy VII - obviously advancements had been made with the switch from SNES to PS1, and this was a good thing; however I feel that there was perhaps too much of a jump in the games formula, especially when you look further down the line at the PS1 to PS2 jump.

Final Fantasy VII, was a massive achievement of Square's part, and was perhaps the peak of Square's success. It bettered the ATB system, the materia system was brilliant and the storyline was one which we won't come across again - even SquareEnix's remake will not be on the same level. But, a lot of things were bad about it - really bad glitches, debugged areas and sometimes 'clunky' gameplay.

Final Fantasy 9, was a spiritual successor to the first final fantasy, it just has slightly different storyline - but most of the characters and terms are illusions back to the first game. This was incredibly well received, as it gave familiarity to older gamers of the franchise, and introduced those new to it - in a fun and exciting way (exactly what FF1 did, way back when). In my opinion, I feel that Final Fantasy 9 is the embodiment of the franchise - it is a perfect specimen for the company to adhere to.

All Final Fantasy's afterwards, changed the formula drastically, and don't even get me started about FF13 - it's linear style gameplay was terrible; the whole purpose of having a world is to explore it, not meander around in the same city, to then move onto the next in a line. 

The Final Fantasy franchise which we all loved  then died, but it created a Final Fantasy Franchise, which others love yet old traditionalists don't.

I just feel that perhaps, we shouldn't look at Square Enix to make the changes in the RPG's that we want. We should just create them ourselves.

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Its not the we arent familiar with it (unfortunately), its that we dont like it. And yes, the formula changed too much. Welcome to the next ga... Uh... Interactive movie from squenix, front row tickets in your living room for $60.

4. PixelMister

PixelMister Halcyon Days - Project Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well not from a reputable and well-liked company we aren't. There are plenty of people who do; it's sometimes a good thing that things changed. I mean take other series which are changed it's formula - Dynasty Warriors was a series which was similar to Soul Calibur and Street Fighter, but by changing into a Hack and Slash RPG; it became a better franchise.

I mean we might complain about the advancements and you joke about an interactive movie; but if Square Enix could create a virtual reality of final fantasy which was good - i'm pretty sure, that would be money worth paying.

5. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes!!!!!! Let them read this and make them do that! Lol 

Dynasty warriors... Oh alright it was a great improvement of romance of the 3, nobunagas ambition, and the other dinosaurs that required glasses thicker than mine to beat. However even they have horribly stagnated. Dont get me wrong, its a go to franchise for my son (8) and I. Or when a couple of guys want to shoot booze and mash buttons... But man. All that sameness. I always recomend people play when I hear they havent before. They ask me wich one and I say any. 2-6 but skip seven and go with 8. Or any of the spin offs. Just dont waste your $ on more than one. If youve played one, youve pretty much played them all... And dont give me this crap about orochi (though it had its strong points) or the CHEEEEEEEEEESY zelda spin off... Or the horrible vertical split screen Gundam spin off. They are too similar and you aint missin nothing. (Obviously I "bit" a time or two, but I can only recomend a new player pick just one...)

HEY, did you do that on purpose? (Lol/jk)