Final Fantasy R: The randomized FF rogue-like!

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score

Download Beta Demo V1.21:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6vcmuyn3fljx7hj/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.21.rar

http://rpgmaker.net/games/8399/

Howdy everyone! I have been working on a game since the release of RPG Maker MV. I have always loved the RPG Maker series, going back to the 2000 version on Don Miguels translation site. I have always wanted a randomized Final fantasy, where I could just fight through a big dungeon, and I have been tinkering with the game for years. RPG Maker MV (and yanflys excellent plug-ins) have finally made it possible for me to include all of the features I imagined, so now I feel like I might finish this game I have been tinkering with for so long and through 4 RPG Maker versions

In Final Fantasy R you are a party adventures who have set out to enter the Infinite Dungeon and collect the 17 Elemental Crystal within, and perhaps confront the dungeons master Asmodeus!  Final Fantasy R aims to combine the battle and adventure style of Final Fantasy with the randomly generated dungeons of Rogue-Likes.  A Rogue-Like is a randomly generated game, where they player has to explore a dungeon, reach the bottom, and escape alive.  Most Rogue-Like give you only one life, Final Fantasy R generously allows you to save.  All of the loot in Final Fantasy R is randomly generated, like Diablo and thanks to Yanflys wonderful plug-ins, so no two play troughs will be similar!

Final Fantasy R attempts to be a similar experience to the FF5 and FF6 Ancient Cave Rom hacks, with a much expanded dungeon.  There are many level of the dungeon to explore, as well as many bosses to defeat and random loot to collect.  The game is currently unfinished, but it has reached a point where it is quite fun and very playable!  There are many classes and features to explore, a massive crafting system and a multitude of of character classes, powers, abilities, and equipment!

Features:
-Custom Party system
-Tons of monsters to fight and areas to explore
-A Randomized Dungeon that is different every time
-Job Point and Subclass system
-Multiple types of magic and skills, including Black/White/Blue Magic, Tools, Martial Arts and more!
-Over 100 character classes
-Hundreds of items to find and use, with randomized states

Download Alpha Demo V1.21

http://rpgmaker.net/games/8399/

Screenshots:

screen1.jpgfoot6.jpgfoot7.jpgfoot.jpgfoot5.jpg

screen4.jpgscreen2.jpgscreen3.jpgscreen1.jpg

foot3.jpgfoot.jpgfoot2.jpgfoot6.jpgscreen2.jpg
foot9.jpgfoot8.jpgfoot10.jpgfoot4.jpg

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6FT23Qg9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rojibY8FmJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zD5iZO_UJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmbt8u4T00

Updates:

Version 0.96

-Fixed a bunch of bugs
-Updated all Yanfly plug-ins to latest version
-Massive improvement to the class abilities! All class abilities are now much more unique, and do not have MP or TP requirements. Instead they have cool-down timers, so the abilities will always be free, but the more powerful ones will take a while to recharge

-Awesome new crafting system, thanks to Yanflys fantastic new Item Synthesis plug-in!
Many classes can now purchase Item Crafting skills from their jobs skills menu, these will unlock crafting recipes in the new Crafting menu. Most recipes right now only require Gold and a few common items.
Weapons/Armor/Relics crafted with this system will be subject to randomized states, so be sure to craft more than one item to get the best!

-Improved the monster graphics
-Major new map addition, the dungeon is now infinite! Thanks to the fantastic Map Generator plug-in by Sanshiro:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/51808-map-generator/

-Added Class battle abilities! Each of the 100 classes now has a unique (and powerful!) battle command instead of Guard. Like Cecil's Dark Wave from FF4, or Drogoon Jump, or or Terras Morph, a monks Kick, etc This makes each class very unique, and gives you a reason to choose them beyond their learned abilities

-Expanded and improved the Dungeon some what
-Added sorely necessary starting gold

Version 0.9

-Major Graphics overhaul and improvement, no more little white pixels!
-Improved the soundtrack, and trimmed some fat
-Updated all Yanfly plugins to latest versions
-Added Status Core
-Added Enhanced TP
-Added Weapon Unleash system
-Added enhancements to the Job Point system
-Added Improvements to Character Classes
-Added Party size and Difficulty selection
-Starting equipment area allows for a much easier experience for beginners

Version 0.8

-Added many new playable characters from other classic Final Fantasy games, from FF6: General Leo, Edgar, Cyan, Celes, Kefka, Setzer, Relm, Terra, Sabin, and Shadow. From FF5: Bart, From Chrono Trigger: Lucca, and from FF4: Tellah
-Vastly improved Blue Magic system
-Added Psionics system
-Updated all Yanfly plug-in to latest versions
-Added a bunch of levels to the dungeon
-Massive overhaul of the class system, all classes are more unique and playable!
-Multi-classing now more useful

Last edited by a moderator:

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
Update v0.98

https://www.mediafire.com/?rklp6cyiyh48iww

Massive update today!
-Updated all Yanfly Plugins to latest version

-Fixed a few bugs, and tweaked some graphics

-Added Yanflys Enemies Levels, now the deeper you go into the dungeon the more challenging the monster will be. On the flip side, the earlier levels are a bit easier.

-Added map obstacles, in the form of Doors, Boulders, Traps, etc. Certain classes will have the ability to bypass these hazards with the new passive skills: Trapfinding, Lockpick, Strength, and Diplomacy, each with several levels of strength! Don't be too worried, pick axes, hammers and shovels have been added that can bypass the new obstacles (and dig up or down in the dungeon!)

-The game now has an ending! A bunch of new levels were added to the dungeon, including the layer of Asmodeus! If you have collected all 17 Elemental crystals you can enter and fight with the dark prince of all evil to win the game :D

-Massive improvement to the monsters list, now there are over double the variety of monster

-New Plug-in, Yanflys Swap Monsters! Now, with this plug-in some monster troops will be "more" randomized

-Even more massive improvement to the item database and loot tables! There are now several hundred new weapons tools and items to find in the dungeon

Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian.
Primarily Uses
I don't know if you're aware, but almost all of your of your in-game images are blurry, stretched, don't mesh well with the rest and in general, are painful to look at. You should always get your images from dedicated sprite sites, many images used on wikis and the internet are blurred to look better on transparent backgrounds, decolourised, etc...

Even if aesthetics aren't your strong point, you should try making the game look better. On a technical level, this looks pretty good, but many people would just ignore the gameplay because of their eyes being tortured.

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
I don't know if you're aware, but almost all of your of your in-game images are blurry, stretched, don't mesh well with the rest and in general, are painful to look at. You should always get your images from dedicated sprite sites, many images used on wikis and the internet are blurred to look better on transparent backgrounds, decolourised, etc...

Even if aesthetics aren't your strong point, you should try making the game look better. On a technical level, this looks pretty good, but many people would just ignore the gameplay because of their eyes being tortured.

Its actually pixilated intentionally, it's my best attempt to make it look like an NES game.  Half of the sprites are ripped from Final Fantasy 1, and half of them are RTP that comes with RPG Maker MV run through a pixilation filter (to try an make it match up with the old NES sprites).  It didn't turn out perfectly, I was teaching myself GIMP as I was going :p

I will admit, the aesthetics are not my strong point, I just like coding a game.  But I have found if your game just has the normal look of the RTP everyone will ignore it (after looking at screenshots), regardless of how good the gameplay is.

Reaction score
First Language
Bulgarian.
Primarily Uses
I mean, pixelating filters don't do pixel art, they're completely different. If you want backgrounds, I suggest you look at the SNES Final Fantasies and use those.

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
I mean, pixelating filters don't do pixel art, they're completely different. If you want backgrounds, I suggest you look at the SNES Final Fantasies and use those.
I have those backgrounds, but it was a pain in the butt to make them work with the RTP tiles sets.  I'm not going to put any more updates into this version.  I honestly don't care about aesthetics at all (I play Rogue-likes a lot, lol ASCII), and keeping the Final Fantasy sprite "theme" up was taking up to much of my time (that could be used for coding!)

My next version of this isn't going to use NES sprites at all, people kept getting pissy about me using ripped sprites and music (and they wouldn't show off my game on their youtube channels as a result, boo).  So I'm using RTP for everything (except monsters, those are Pokemon Fusions lol), getting rid of backgrounds in battle entirely (it looks cooler to see the dungeon behind I think).  I also used some procedural music generators for the soundtrack, so people well actually lets play my game:

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Spürdo, one of the problems isn't the pixellation in itself, it is what could be called mixels.

If all your assets are treated like a "pixel" (the minor unit of graphic you're using, I'm not the best one to explain) is actually 4 pixels, it would not be so bad to look at. But the problem is that your SV_Battlers use 1 "pixel" = 1 pixel, the enemy uses a 1 "pixel" = 3 pixels, the background goes 1 "pixel" = 5 pixels in height and 4 pixels in width.

This mixed pixel size are mixels.

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k2pfaob7uh79aia/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.00.rar

Major overhaul update today! It has been a while since I have updated this game, but I have not forgotten it! I had a few weeks a free time, so I have overhauled this game and made it 100X better:

-Many more Yanflys Plug-ins, and updates

-Completely reblanced classes and battle system. Battles are much more challenging and strategic now. You must manage the opponents power bar to win!

-Many many new dungeons and areas, tons more to explore.

-The Nexus of Worlds allows you to access all of the infinite Dungeons easily, and plan you attack!

-The Infinite Battle Arena! You can always find a tougher opponent here.

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
As others have said the graphics are a bit messy and do not mesh well at all. A lot of this has to do with the "mixels" that others have talked about. Typically, if you have images at different pixel resolutions next to each other, they look very awkward. There is a lot more to making something look like an NES/SNES game (which are two different things entirely) than simply stretching an image or shrinking an image. I think most people are not put off by the ripped resources, but at the way you have chosen to scale them.

I will try very hard to show you an example of what everyone is talking about using your own screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/qS0kZ

Do you see how one pixel is measured differently for basically everything in this screenshot? The size of the pixels in the UI are different than the pixel size of the sprites, which are different than the pixel size of the battlers. The entire thing ends up looking like a mess because, rather than looking like pixel art, it just looks like a bunch of images stretched to random dimensions.

If you must stretch pixel art images, make sure that you keep the relative ratios of the original image size (only increase by equal proportions). For example, if you have a 24x24 sprite, you should only increase it's size relative to its original, so 48x48, 72x72, 96x96, etc. Notice how every one of these numbers is dividable by 24x24.

In this screenshot:

http://imgur.com/a/SozfG

You notice that there are four different sprite sizes going on. It looks extremely awkward to have a high-resolution treasure chest next to a low resolution NES sprite, a poorly scaled NES sprite, and a stretched/pixelated filtered wall and floor.

Ideally, you should be shooting for one image that looks cohesive with the way pixels are represented, like these examples (notice how all of the pixels are the same size):

Best of luck to you, I like the idea! I hope that you take this a way to help you learn and embrace pixel art for the wonderful hell that it is! :)

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
I'm not an artist, this is really my best effort at pixle art.  Honestly I find the art portion super boring and would just as soon use ASCII characters.  It would take days of work to make all the pixle match up perfectly, and id rather spend that time making more game content and dungeons.

If any artist want to help me out I am more than willing!

IamGilgamesh

Game Developer - Rapper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Major overhaul update today! It has been a while since I have updated this game, but I have not forgotten it! I had a few weeks a free time, so I have overhauled this game and made it 100X better:

-Many more Yanflys Plug-ins, and updates

-Completely reblanced classes and battle system. Battles are much more challenging and strategic now. You must manage the opponents power bar to win!

-Many many new dungeons and areas, tons more to explore.

-The Nexus of Worlds allows you to access all of the infinite Dungeons easily, and plan you attack!

-The Infinite Battle Arena! You can always find a tougher opponent here.

I'm downloading this as I type, I look forward to it! I like what you were about. I'm interested to talk to you more in depth about this project. I have another roguelike inspired port I'm doing with RPG Maker that I'd love to get some of your input on. Let's get connected and build. 

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
Sure, PM and we can talk about your game.  I wouldn't mind talking to another RPG Maker rogue-likes maker. We can compare notes.

My game is unencrypted, so feel free to steal any content you want.

IamGilgamesh

Game Developer - Rapper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome! Will do!

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
Much bigger update today! I have been going through Yanfly tutorials, teaching myself advanced scripting. I have gone through them all and implemented them! I have also implemented Auras, giving each monster a unique boots to his allies!
-Over 150+ New monsters. Lots of new creatures to kill and loot!
-Major combat re-balance, should be more challenging now.
-Two new areas, a dungeon called The Carnival (which incorporates elements from all other dungeons) and a room called the Training Dojo, where you can visit\ the gravity chamber, room of spirit and time, or King Kais planet to train your characters without combat!
-Updated all Yanfly plugins to latest version
-Battle Animations!
-Auras!
-Two other new areas, the Black Market and Techno Dome
-Improved the Arena, you can now gamble
-Monsters have many new tactics and abilities

Final Fantasy R V1.21

joey4track

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
I had to register just to say this game is awesome! I don't care about the 'mixels' you are just doing what you have to do and the gameplay is really what is important. I hope you continue to develop this game! I would kill to have this on android tbh ;)

Rutibex

Villager
Reaction score
I have tried a few times to port to Android, but its a really tricky process. I'll give it another shot just for you

joey4track

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
I have tried a few times to port to Android, but its a really tricky process. I'll give it another shot just for you
Don't bend over backwards! I was only half joking. :rhappy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woke up on an awful nightmare of being banned here because some mod didn't liked me in a super-heroes freeform round robin RP where I used throwing normal hammer as power and it was qualified being too OP. XD Nice to read you all guys. Will not wait next nightmares.
Staring at all the RPG Maker versions I have and realizing that my project has been a long time coming. But, I finally feel like I have the knowledge and experience to make it into something good.
We're almost done with the jam game! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lguruji206